Canadian Money Forum banner
1241 - 1260 of 1275 Posts

·
Registered
21,875 Posts
James. Those numbers are not going up because the provinces relaxed the restrictions.
Relaxing restrictions goes hand in hand with people going back to partying and socializing without caution.

People can live normal lives and socialize, we just need restrictions to make them do it cautiously. People are unable to do this on their own.

I suggest your time will be better spent figuring out how to live with it.
I already told you how we live with it. We all have to be cautious, have to wear masks indoors around strangers, avoid large gatherings. That's what I've been doing for over a year now, and life is pretty normal. I still socialize, see friends, see family, and do everything I want.

I go to coffee shops, I grab food, I see my elderly family members, I travel on planes. But I'm not stupid enough to do these things without masks, and I limit the amount of high risk activities.

·
Super Moderator
4,507 Posts
The officials have mentioned it in some of their press conferences, but I don't remember the numbers. Some fully vaccinated people certainly do end up in hospital, but not many. As I understand it, most people entering hospital are still un vaccinated, or only 1 shot.

My takeaway is that when fully vaccinated, I'm pretty safe and probably won't end up in the hospital. But it's still worth being cautious, and I still wear a mask, if nothing else -- to prevent infecting someone else.
The overall CDN numbers agree, very little chance of going to the hospital if fully vaxed.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Relaxing restrictions goes hand in hand with people going back to partying and socializing without caution.

People can live normal lives and socialize, we just need restrictions to make them do it cautiously. People are unable to do this on their own.

I already told you how we live with it. We all have to be cautious, have to wear masks indoors around strangers, avoid large gatherings. That's what I've been doing for over a year now, and life is pretty normal. I still socialize, see friends, see family, and do everything I want.

I go to coffee shops, I grab food, I see my elderly family members, I travel on planes. But I'm not stupid enough to do these things without masks, and I limit the amount of high risk activities.
Your dreaming. Relaxing restrictions and people socializing do not go together. Being fearful of the virus and abiding by restrictions that protect you went together. There is a big difference. You are about to find out that the vast majority of the vaccinated are not afraid anymore, nor should they be. They won't be able to stop the socializing. If they try people will simply take it indoors where it is more dangerous.

The definition of protecting ones self needs to be adjusted in this new world of mostly vaccinated.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Israel is only at 60% so 40 people out of 100 are still not vaccinated. Canada is only a little better with 34 per 100 not fully vaccinated. MB is doing good with only 24 per 100. Though some of those figures may be based on full population vs those that can get the vaccine.

Does BC show data on current hospital admissions vax vs non-vax?
Yes, those % are from total population. Israel at 63%, Canada at $66.3%, US at 51.4%.
Soon Israeli numbers will go up as they started to vaccinate kids from 3 years old.
On a daily basis Israel right now vaccinate more than x3 comparing to Canada.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Possibly cases that were entered in the system before they started checking vaccination status? I don't know, just speculating.
No, it can't be , because they give those numbers on daily basis :). Today 60 people arrived to hospital with “vaccination status unknown “! I don't believe that person coming to ER and tells that he doesn't want to tell if he's vaccinated :) . in any case , every hospital can check status by person's healt card

·
Registered
21,875 Posts
In the last few days, both BC and Manitoba announced that masks will be mandatory indoors.

Good to see the provinces smartening up.

I had a nice afternoon at a coffee shop with a friend. Had some snacks, kept the masks on part of the time. A lightweight mask does not really impede social connections or being able to go out and have fun. Tomorrow we're having another gathering of old friends (3 of us), probably masked indoors. If weather cooperates, we will be outdoors.

·
Registered
21,875 Posts
I guess vaccines don't work if us fully vaccinated people all of a sudden again need to wear one. Such a tragic comedy...no one knows what they are doing apparently.
That's incorrect. The vaccines still work.

Issue #1 is that vaccinated people can spread the virus to others.

Issue #2 is that vaccines reduce the probability of catching a serious infection, but don't reduce it to 0. An additional layer (masks) further reduces the probability. We're trying to improve the odds and reduce community transmission.

Issue #3 is that with winter coming, we're entering new and unknown territory. With covid still circulating and spreading, now everyone is back to partying & travelling, AND we have more contagious variants. We really have no idea how this will play out. This is why caution is needed, so add the mask for good measure.

I'm fully vaccinated, and am flying tomorrow. I will be wearing a CAN95 and carry additional KN95s with me in case my mask gets damaged. Even if the airline didn't require it, I would still wear a medical grade mask while travelling.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
The airport I used would not allow M95 masks. The commisionaire there made some people remove them & replace with the 10 cent glorified dust masks. This was last December...rules are likely even more f'd up by now.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I’ve been using cloth masks since Covid started. Case rates were always low in my region, but lately, our Case rate is higher than Toronto. We’re almost on par with Toronto in terms of actual new cases.

I‘ve read surgical masks are most recommended for daily use…with the N95 considered the gold standard.

how is a surgical mask defined? I see some are listed as non-medical? What criteria should I be looking for?

ASTM? Level 2? Level 3?

what’s a typical cost?

thanks

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,254 ·
I’ve been using cloth masks since Covid started. Case rates were always low in my region, but lately, our Case rate is higher than Toronto. We’re almost on par with Toronto in terms of actual new cases.

I‘ve read surgical masks are most recommended for daily use…with the N95 considered the gold standard.

how is a surgical mask defined? I see some are listed as non-medical? What criteria should I be looking for?

ASTM? Level 2? Level 3?

what’s a typical cost?

thanks
In Kingston, our numbers are the worst they have been during Covid. But we don't have the restrictions we had in 2020. I know people are tired of the restrictions, but still something seems out of whack.

Regarding mask costs etc - James has a link to CAN95 in his post - has prices for on-line ordering. We are not going out much and will continue to use our cloth masks when needed. Haven't been to a restaurant now since early 2020. Just some outdoor patios during summer for a drink.

·
Registered
34 Posts

ASTM? Level 2? Level 3?

what’s a typical cost?

thanks
Ok, right in the wheelhouse! Get the Platinum standard masks from Zentek.

Gold/Mining/Energy
Zentek Ltd - ZEN

IntroductionMarket DataCompact
Zentek (formerly ZEN Graphene Solutions) - Improving health and safety through nanotechnology

Prevention
Next-gen defense to combat transmission and infection.

Our technology helps filter and deactivate pathogens to reduce the risk of transmission, making indoor spaces, higher risk work environments and social interactions safer— especially for those most vulnerable.

Detection

Advancing rapid detection and diagnostics.

Our cutting-edge nanotechnology offers fast, affordable, non-invasive, scalable point-of-care detection for numerous pathogens, including viruses like COVID-19, empowering governments, health agencies and individuals worldwide to identify infections and end outbreaks faster than ever before.

Treatment

Enhancing recovery and health outcomes.

We are developing breakthrough antimicrobial therapies so people can recover faster and live their lives to the fullest. Testing to date has shown our nanotech-powered therapies are safe and effective against numerous pathogens and can potentially transform modalities in medicine across the globe.

In-vitro testing shows 99.9% effectiveness against bacteria, fungi and viruses at extremely low minimum inhibitory concentrations (MIC).

Zentek's patent-pending graphene-based formulation has achieved excellent safety results and has the potential to be a game changer for treating human-contracted pathogens and infectious disease management.

FULL DISCLOSURE:

I am a Stockholder, hoping to make a bundle on this company. Older shareholders are already millionaires- because of it. The company has multiple irons in the fire, based on previously being a mining company of this weird substance- Graphene.

It’s FIRST success is the ZEN mask, as it says 100% effective against COVID, etc, AND approved by Health Canada. Presently seeking FDA approval for same. Two Ontario companies are beginning to produce them by the billions.

They look like this...

Font Electric blue Parallel Diagram Transparency
Font Electric blue Parallel Diagram Transparency

·
Registered
21,875 Posts

ASTM? Level 2? Level 3?
Cloth masks can be useful if they are multiple layers of thick material, or alternating patterns like cotton / synthetic / cotton. However I think the concern with cloth masks is that they come in ALL types so it's hard to know how effective they are.

I stopped using cloth masks.

The best masks are N95 or KN95 or CAN95 (all equivalent). That's what I wear when I'm travelling or going into crowded offices. These are about $3 to $5 a pop. These aren't surgical masks, or I haven't heard them called that. But yes the 95s are the gold standard.

Disposable surgical masks are also recommended for daily use. Just make sure the box says 3 layer, they're available everywhere and are about 20 to 50 cents a mask. Find one that has a good fit, an individual thing, but if the surgical mask fits you snugly it's going to do its job. These aren't true medical masks unless they say ASTM on the box.

You can also find ASTM level 2 or 3, which are true medical surgical masks. They are not expensive at all, so I'd suggest getting these. About 50 cents each. Message me and I'll point you to an easy source from a major retailer with free shipping. I'm going to buy more this week as well.

My personal preference for daily use are the ASTM level 2/3, or a non medical surgical mask. As long as they fit your face and nose well, they offer good protection against casual exposure. They've been shown to reduce the spread, even to healthcare workers. They are clearly better than wearing nothing.

However when I'm going on flights or anything really high risk, like hanging out at an indoor office, I use only KN95 or CAN95

·
Registered
3,591 Posts

ASTM? Level 2? Level 3?

what’s a typical cost?

thanks
I still use cloth, but am running out (kids keep losing them). You want three layers, with the bottom two being cotton tight weave, out layer, doesn't matter as much. Getting ones with the pockets so you can put a p2.5 filter or a surgical mask in (that's the the doctors and nursed did in the early days when there was a short supply) which takes you close to the surgical with the filter. I also ensure there is a very good nose piece. I have found that I have had to replace the noses pieces, but it's better environmentally

If you have a Costco membership, this is the best place (outside of a medical order) in terms of costs and quality. There were many studies on how their masks tested and it was consistent. These are some of the disposable masks I have purchased.

Certified N95 Particulate Respirator N95 - 20 masks | Costco
KN95 - non certified Black KN95 Disposable 4-layer Face Mask, 20-pack | Costco
95 PFE Medicom Connections 95PFE Respirator - 20 masks | Costco
Level 3 Surgical Humask Pro - Surgical Mask - 50 masks | Costco

I am a little bit of a mask junky, we have so many. I try to use the most appropriate masks for what we are doing.

• Cloth masks (no filter), running in and out of places for short times and I can generally avoid people. Usually quick errands where don't want to throw out the mask so quickly
  • Cloth mask with filter - in places in and out quickly but there are more people (can't social distance as easily) or I am in a place longer period of time. My kids were these at school at day and can swap out the filter.
  • Paper masks non surgical - I have to wear this going to into medical facilities, usually health services makes me change into this (like my mother's care facility, labs, hospital)
  • Surgical - indoors in higher risk areas where I need more breathability (walking around or activities indoors). I had surgical masks shipped from outside of the country early on, but the Humask pro is new and I think it will be a good add.
  • KN95 - higher risk areas for a long period of time, I find the KN95 a little small (I have a big head with hair, but they fit nicely on my kids and very snug; We used these driving through BC in the fires in the summer and it was really helpful. I make my kids wear these ones on the bus because there are alot of unknown people.
  • 95PFE are a little more breathable, and I like the shape.
  • N95 I have a few that we will use in high risk areas like on a plane. I also wore them when we can to go to emergency and knew it was really busy.

I also have some of these masks, as I teach in a classroom. These are built like a tank, but breathability is very difficult.
Certespiri | Sustainable Safety Mask

I find the biggest difference is if there is a good nose wire. I bought some heavy duty ones that self stick, and find that helpful for any mask that doesn't feel tight

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Was in Toronto General yesterday...the top ENT in Canada wasn't wearing a mask at the clinic for the few hours I was on the floor.. I kept mine on but did lol. I guess Trudeau is right...wear a mask in front of the masses but party on maskless when rubbing up with the unvaccinated COP elite...

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
Maybe he has already had covid and is also fully vaccinated ?

Trudeau's wife had covid and he didn't even get the sniffles......strong like bull.

1241 - 1260 of 1275 Posts