Canadian Money Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 1275 Posts

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
BONNIE HENRY REINTATES MASK MANDATE!

So definitely not just me :) Even Bonnie Henry agrees! (She is a smart lady!)

So you BC ant-maskers that claim you are following Bonnie's directives, get those masks on now! ;)
Smart move. It's a reason I think highly of Bonnie Henry. Her team really does monitor data and reacts quickly to them.

BC conditions are obviously dangerous right now, with the outbreak from the interior spreading to BC more broadly. This has already put a stop to the next phase of BC re-opening, and bringing back masks is the smart and obvious thing to do.

Reminder to tourists visiting BC: indoor masks are now mandatory, everywhere in the province, including Vancouver.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Looks like we put on the mask...np...done it before. Why do people gloat about regression regarding Covid? Its like they enjoy restrictions? Anyway I'm back in Alberta soon enough.

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
Looks like we put on the mask...np...done it before. Why do people gloat about regression regarding Covid? Its like they enjoy restrictions? Anyway I'm back in Alberta soon enough.
The regression is not in control measures, the regression is in the control of the virus forcing those measures. As predicted, over-loosening now leads to worse restrictions later. I don't want a repeat of shuttering restaurants, retail, etc. and return to 5 person gathering limits, but being reckless now may land us there.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The regression is not in control measures, the regression is in the control of the virus forcing those measures. As predicted, over-loosening now leads to worse restrictions later. I don't want a repeat of shuttering restaurants, retail, etc. and return to 5 person gathering limits, but being reckless now may land us there.
Exactly. Measures don't affect the control of the virus. They are simply reaction to another wave.
Clearly visible in Texas. Drop the measures beginning of march --> no rise for 4 months, then a rise after 4 months that coincides with a rise in entire North America.

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
Not sure why you think you're agreeing with me!

Clearly, measures work. Only an insane person would think everyone acting like we did in summer 2019 would have zero impact on rates of infection.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Because they don't. Multiple research papers and studies showing that. Multiple real-life experiences. Numbers didn't go up in Texas after they dropped all restrictions. They went up 5 months later. Numbers don't drop in Australia despite total lockdown for over a month now - they just beat a record.
Only effective restriction was closing borders quickly. Rest turned out to be useless virtue signaling. Look at the data.
Vaccines work in slowing hospitalizations. Only effective weapon we have. Rest are useless

·
Registered
96 Posts
Because they don't. Multiple research papers and studies showing that. Multiple real-life experiences. Numbers didn't go up in Texas after they dropped all restrictions. They went up 5 months later. Numbers don't drop in Australia despite total lockdown for over a month now - they just beat a record.
Only effective restriction was closing borders quickly. Rest turned out to be useless virtue signaling. Look at the data.
Vaccines work in slowing hospitalizations. Only effective weapon we have. Rest are useless
Your being far to logical my friend. Nobody listens to logic and reason anymore when it comes to Covid. People would rather just be scared.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
Waves of the virus were caused by different variants taking over dominance of the spread and when restrictions were removed.

It isn't a coincidence the worst places for the infection, hospitalizations and deaths are places that refused health protocols and restrictions.

Now they are begging for help. The US military and other government agencies have sent thousands of doctors and nurses to hospitals in those States.

If the hospitalizations continue to rise, they will run out of support people to send elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,424 Posts
^ Versus the Maritimes (re newfoundlander61's post). Now the question (or fall show) becomes "who is smarter than a 5th grader?"

·
Super Moderator
4,507 Posts
Saskatchewan will not be requiring indoor masks.

Then sadly, a lot of people in SK will die unnecessarily in the coming months. This is a failure of government to do its basic job (protect the public).
It's an interesting problem that's for sure but is it protection that's needed?

About two months ago MB gov was pushing vaccines and their 3-2-1 reopen plan. In this plan it was stated many times that once we hit 75% fully vaccinated (we did) that requirements would be changed to recommendations (masks included), which they did a few weeks ago.

So now, with just case counts rising again (hospitalizations are not yet) they said they'll are putting back requirements in the next few days ... WTF?

So is this over protection or do they have no faith in the vaccines to keep people out of hospitals?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
It's an attempt to make the whiners feel a little more safe. Masks really are not that big of deal. The people vaccinated, but still trembling in their homes for some reason, seem to feel safer with them and the rest of us don't really care one way or the other, to be honest. So keep the mask mandates. It looks like some of these people are going to need a little more time before they come out of their covid shells. That time though is not without a cost. We are burning through this opportunity of warm weather very fast, here in Canada.

You see, my concern is that while they all cower behind their perceived protections, like masks in stores, the virus will be simply be delayed and then come at them during their Christmas dinners, a little later. If they had of obtained a small amount of delta exposure at the Canadian tire, that additional immune protection might have prevented them from being rushed to the hospital because of their oversized exposure they received during those large family dinners, indoors during the colder months.

If you have to expose yourself to this virus, and you do, I highly recommend outdoor or limited time exposure.

·
Registered
17,139 Posts
People who you say are "cowering in their homes" are protecting essential workers so they can continue to work and keep all systems operating.

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
So now, with just case counts rising again (hospitalizations are not yet) they said they'll are putting back requirements in the next few days ... WTF?

So is this over protection or do they have no faith in the vaccines to keep people out of hospitals?
And I criticized the earlier Public Health decisions as premature. They were pinning too much hope on the vaccines, and Public Health shouldn't have told the public that vaccination will get us back to normal (with everything relaxed).

Now that there are more case studies coming out from the world (notably, Israel) it's pretty clear that a level of 75% or 80% vaccination isn't enough to halt a wave of escalating cases. I think this new knowledge is what Public Health is reacting to. And heck, look at BC data as well.

BC data over the last few months shows that cases are up, hospitalizations are up, and ICU is up. There is a very high rate of new people entering ICU in British Columbia. Here's the chart and it's bad.

BC data for ICU

So adding in new restrictions and mask requirements is not excessive protection. Manitoba, and Ontario, are going to experience the same thing as BC and AB. On top of this we have the data from Israel.

Without additional protections like masks and limitations on gatherings, we're going to see hospitals and ICUs filling up. It's already been happening in BC and AB.

·
Super Moderator
4,507 Posts
They were pinning too much hope on the vaccines, and Public Health shouldn't have told the public that vaccination will get us back to normal (with everything relaxed).

Now that there are more case studies coming out from the world (notably, Israel) it's pretty clear that a level of 75% or 80% vaccination isn't enough to halt a wave of escalating cases. I think this new knowledge is what Public Health is reacting to. And heck, look at BC data as well.
Israel is only at 60% so 40 people out of 100 are still not vaccinated. Canada is only a little better with 34 per 100 not fully vaccinated. MB is doing good with only 24 per 100. Though some of those figures may be based on full population vs those that can get the vaccine.

BC data over the last few months shows that cases are up, hospitalizations are up, and ICU is up.
Does BC show data on current hospital admissions vax vs non-vax?

·
Registered
21,872 Posts
Does BC show data on current hospital admissions vax vs non-vax?
The officials have mentioned it in some of their press conferences, but I don't remember the numbers. Some fully vaccinated people certainly do end up in hospital, but not many. As I understand it, most people entering hospital are still un vaccinated, or only 1 shot.

My takeaway is that when fully vaccinated, I'm pretty safe and probably won't end up in the hospital. But it's still worth being cautious, and I still wear a mask, if nothing else -- to prevent infecting someone else.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
And I criticized the earlier Public Health decisions as premature. They were pinning too much hope on the vaccines, and Public Health shouldn't have told the public that vaccination will get us back to normal (with everything relaxed).

BC data over the last few months shows that cases are up, hospitalizations are up, and ICU is up. There is a very high rate of new people entering ICU in British Columbia. Here's the chart and it's bad.

BC data for ICU
View attachment 22059

So adding in new restrictions and mask requirements is not excessive protection. Manitoba, and Ontario, are going to experience the same thing as BC and AB. On top of this we have the data from Israel.

Without additional protections like masks and limitations on gatherings, we're going to see hospitals and ICUs filling up. It's already been happening in BC and AB.

James. Those numbers are not going up because the provinces relaxed the restrictions. They are going up because the majority of Canadians are vaccinated and significantly safer then before and have resumed their socials lives again. That is the wave you will need to stop, if you want to slow the increases, and all I can say is good luck with that.

I suggest your time will be better spent figuring out how to live with it.

1221 - 1240 of 1275 Posts