Canadian Money Forum banner
1021 - 1040 of 1091 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Not an expert, but I've heard on radio story ....one girl was telling that masks are useless as you can even smell that somebody farts... and they explained that this is because fart's particles are much smaller than Covid virus.. and in military gas mask you cannot smell anything :)
You have to understand the different mechanisms in place. Cloth mask is a woven fabric meant to trap particles of a specific size. Carbon absorption is used to trap organic particles which include smells. Hence you won't smell anything. It doesn't mean it specifically filters out by size.

Here we go
Here's the more relevant quote to point out that it may not be so useful for virus:
Gas masks offer police protection from particulates and aerosols and are typically worn during mass demonstrations or riots.

Good for dealing with tear gas, probably not so much for virus.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
There is a physical difference between a gas and a solid. A virus is a solid. I won't discuss all the gases that various idiots use to make their erroneous conclusions about masks.

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
I was at a vaccination clinic today, and they made everyone coming in take off their own masks, and switch to PPE masks provided at the clinic. These were true medical masks, ASTM Level 3.

Superficially they look the same as the cheaper disposable masks that we buy in the stores. But these were clearly superior. The material felt different and most importantly, they created quite a good seal around the mouth and nose. Breathing in and out made the cloth puff up. It's the first time I've seen that in a disposable mask... but I've never worn a real ASTM Level 3 before.

It's something I should buy for my stash, if I can find any in Canada. When winter comes, and especially if a new mutation occurs, it will be very important to have good masks.

I'm actually pretty impressed that the government had a huge supply of these and were providing them to everyone in the mass vaccination center.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I was at a vaccination clinic today, and they made everyone coming in take off their own masks, and switch to PPE masks provided at the clinic. These were true medical masks, ASTM Level 3.

Superficially they look the same as the cheaper disposable masks that we buy in the stores. But these were clearly superior. The material felt different and most importantly, they created quite a good seal around the mouth and nose. Breathing in and out made the cloth puff up. It's the first time I've seen that in a disposable mask... but I've never worn a real ASTM Level 3 before.

It's something I should buy for my stash, if I can find any in Canada. When winter comes, and especially if a new mutation occurs, it will be very important to have good masks.

I'm actually pretty impressed that the government had a huge supply of these and were providing them to everyone in the mass vaccination center.

I recall a story earlier where clinics were criticized for this behaviour……having people remove a mask to put on another mask. The argument was that in those few seconds of being maskless, you were more exposed than the small difference between A good and poor mask.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
^ I wouldn't disagree with this at a vaccination clinic where people are supposedly to be distanced apart. However, at the "hospital" (eg. major one in TO), they required you to use "their" version of mask, presumably the real surgical mask even you had a (real) 3M N95 one on. This was last year. They relaxed this requirement this year.

I think the difference between these (ASTM=stands for?) Level "3" medical masks with the lower levels is via the loop-on. The lower level ones loop around the ear whereas higher level loop or tie above your head for a better fit. Either ones I think are better than a home-made one or a bandana.

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
I recall a story earlier where clinics were criticized for this behaviour……having people remove a mask to put on another mask. The argument was that in those few seconds of being maskless, you were more exposed than the small difference between A good and poor mask.
The problem is that, if you look around, you'll see many people wearing very useless masks. There are still people wearing very thin cotton layers, many masks which do nothing at all I'm sure.

I wasn't too happy about being forced to change my mask, but the one they provided really was very good, and it's nice to know that everyone around you is in the same quality of mask.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts

Not necessarily a level 3 surgical. It was most likely a higher quality level 1 or level 2. That's how my province does it. In hospitals and the vaccine clinics you need to change the mask. The reason are that you don't know if the mask coming in has viruses on it, and this ensures everyone gets a clean mask. I went in with an industrial silicon/plastic mask with an n95 filter when I had to get a COVID test at the big clinic. I didn't want to be in the large lines of people that were all getting testing for COVID so had symptoms. I didn't want take any chances of getting COVID while being tested for COVID. Anyways, the person was quite impressed with my masks, and said I still had to change it even though my mask was probably better. I asked if they were Level 3 masks, she said 'oh no, they are not'. She told me they have the masks there for those that would 'forget', it was also a way to make sure the mask met a minimum level, which is a two layer recommendation and they could be thrown out right away. The policy also we done that all had to change so staff didn't have to make the decision on who's mask it better or not, even though people were had masks with more protection such as the N95 or mine.

I have some level 3 masks and there is a difference, your may be a level 3 but I would be surprised if that is the standard. If you to get some, there are Canadian sites that sell them retail, but they are 6-10X the prices. If you know a dentist, they have access too. I had a family member who owns a practice, order me a couple of boxes.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Thank God the stupid mask law is over in BC.I guess Horgan does believe in science. What a relief. Many people continue to wear theirs as is their right.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Thank God the stupid mask law is over in BC.I guess Horgan does believe in science. What a relief. Many people continue to wear theirs as is their right.
... I don't get it. What's bothering you about the (many) other people wearing their mask in BC?

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Absolutely nothing...anyone that wants to wear one should be able to do so without criticism. Perhaps you misunderstood me. I am just grateful that I no longer have to endure masks as I don't enjoy them and would never have worn one were it not the law.

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
Absolutely nothing...anyone that wants to wear one should be able to do so without criticism. Perhaps you misunderstood me. I am just grateful that I no longer have to endure masks as I don't enjoy them and would never have worn one were it not the law.
Just beware, you might have to wear them again if we see a surge in the winter. The pandemic is not over and new mutations can change the picture.

We might still have out of control virus spread in the winter, even with vaccinations, so you might have to start wearing masks again. Just being real, man.

Look at how Israel requires indoor masks, for example.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
True!
The Israeli Health Ministry says people should wear masks in all indoor settings except the home. Masks should also be worn in large outdoor gatherings, the government said, such as the gay pride events taking place this weekend

Naked gays wearing only masks should be fun LOL

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Just beware, you might have to wear them again if we see a surge in the winter. The pandemic is not over and new mutations can change the picture.

We might still have out of control virus spread in the winter, even with vaccinations, so you might have to start wearing masks again. Just being real, man.

I won't be in Canada this winter...Mexico beckons. Most likely there will be no mask mandates there so I'm not worried.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
I won't be in Canada this winter...Mexico beckons. Most likely there will be no mask mandates there so I'm not worried.
There is a mask mandate in Mexico. It is just not enforced. In PV, there is another outbreak thanks to Delta and American visitors. (When we left, there were neglible cases in hospitals. Now they are quickly filling up!)

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
There is a mask mandate in Mexico. It is just not enforced. In PV, there is another outbreak thanks to Delta and American visitors.
Most likely in Los Barriles (this years final destination) they haven't yet heard of Covid. I'll grab a Covid booster in California if necessary before heading down.
How about you? Back to PV in a few months?

·
Banned
800 Posts
Would stay away from masks with graphene oxide. There are a lot of reports that test swabs, some masks from China & vaccines contain graphene oxide. Of course mainstream media & health officials deny.

1021 - 1040 of 1091 Posts