Canadian Money Forum banner
1001 - 1020 of 1093 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,279 Posts
We should be developing, manufacturing and holding in reserve, hundreds of millions of N95 masks (or even better masks). There is no excuse for not doing so.
Best to keep your own supply of N95 masks for the future. If the gov keeps them they may ship them out to other places that may (at the time) need them so we'll be out again. :)

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
The daily case numbers are strongly trending up in BC. And yet, here are the kinds of ludicrous scenes that I see on a daily basis. These weren't even the busiest places, just a couple that I saw side by side.

Golly gee wiz, I wonder how COVID might be spreading?

The gym is insane. Don't let the reflections fool you; there are no barriers inside. It's just an open space with many maskless people, puffing and spitting all over each other.

I can't decide which is more dangerous, the gym or the cafe. Both are totally unacceptable during a pandemic. I added these photos to my scrapbook, for the memories.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Don't put too much trust into a 10 cent mask...the 2 clinical trials that have been done show no advantage (one was using M95 masks.) Keep your distance!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The daily case numbers are strongly trending up in BC. And yet, here are the kinds of ludicrous scenes that I see on a daily basis. These weren't even the busiest places, just a couple that I saw side by side.

Golly gee wiz, I wonder how COVID might be spreading?

The gym is insane. Don't let the reflections fool you; there are no barriers inside. It's just an open space with many maskless people, puffing and spitting all over each other.

I can't decide which is more dangerous, the gym or the cafe. Both are totally unacceptable during a pandemic. I added these photos to my scrapbook, for the memories.

View attachment 21491

View attachment 21492
That’s crazy. Gyms are still closed in Ontario...so are barbers in hard hit areas......although there is talk of loosening those restrictions even in the hardest hit areas of Peel and Toronto.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I am not going to comment on what is right or wrong when it comes to keeping gyms open. I don't use them (have my own equipment at home) so my opinion would have that bias. What I do know is that you really cannot work out well with a mask on. I did a heart stress test a few months back. Not that I needed anyone to tell me this but the technician said that no matter what "do not remove your mask". So of course I did not.

I don't know how many people have done this test but after a couple measurements of the heart in different conditions the last test is they put the machine on a complete uphill, turn up the speed a little more and tell you to go till you can't do it anymore. I work out everyday and I am sure without my mask I could have gone considerably longer but as we know, as you exert yourself you tend to need to breathe harder. This is because your body requires more oxygen to maintain the effort. The mask severely interferes with that kind of breathing to the point that I had to call it quits a lot quicker then I would have needed to otherwise.

They said I passed (normal heart) but I wonder if they would have needed to bell curve people due to the use of a mask and how valid the test actually was. In my opinion, if you put two runners in a race. One with a mask on and one without, I can assure you the one without is going to win. There will be no comparison if the race is more then 50 yards.

They should shut down the gyms. I don't know how they can be used safely with Covid, but I don't go in them so I will leave it to others to decide.

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
Opinion piece: After Covid, Let's Keep Our Masks On. Myself, I plan to always wear a mask on airplanes from now on.

It has been a year since the pandemic hit India and, for me, the oddest thing is how healthy I’ve been. Like most but not all of the people I see on the streets, I have been masked up these past 12 months. I’ve washed my hands religiously and avoided crowds. As a result, for the first time in my life, I haven’t caught a cold all year.

This is remarkable. Living in Delhi, with its crowds and its sudden changes of season, usually means one picks up pretty much every bug that’s going around.

I am not fond of masks. And, in the steam-bath summers of north India, wearing something on your face can be stifling. And yet I find myself hoping that once this pandemic ends, the habit of mask-wearing will remain.

Not all the time, of course. That might be asking too much. But wouldn’t it be great if city-dwellers across the world began to behave a little more like those in East Asia? If, during flu season, people wore masks whenever they planned to take a flight or join a crowd? That if they caught themselves sniffling, they grabbed a mask on their way out the door?

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
Here's what Germany now requires in public areas. These are apparently all considered equivalent:

N95
KN95
FFP2

It's easy to find KN95 masks in Canada. They're available at Costco, London Drugs, Shoppers Drug Mart. I just ordered 20 more, online.
All those masks are BS! If you are so scared, get a real gas mask! You will be 100% safe and won't even feel a smell if somebody farted or didn't wash himself for weeks :). I was wearing similar in Soviet and Israeli Army :)

Just $41

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
I personally would never wear a mask if it's not 100% mandatory
So now, during the midst of a pandemic, you wouldn't wear a mask (it isn't 100% mandatory)

What's the logic here?

Myself I have a real respirator for when I do drywall, or paint, particularly spray paint.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
I have been wearing a mask for over a year (3 layer with replaceable filter) and I agree that it will be part of my life. Even though I have has Pfizer for 3 weeks, I still avoid crowds and mask up.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
All those masks are BS! If you are so scared, get a real gas mask! You will be 100% safe and won't even feel a smell if somebody farted or didn't wash himself for weeks :). I was wearing similar in Soviet and Israeli Army :)

Just $41
... if this virus was truly "airborne", you can be sure someone will be relieving you of your "real" gas-mask.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

Just $41
Too bad those masks actually do nothing for virus. At best they have a charcoal filter that can filter out some chemical and bacteria. They have no virus protection.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
Too bad those masks actually do nothing for virus. At best they have a charcoal filter that can filter out some chemical and bacteria. They have no virus protection.
So, you want to tell that military masks with protection against bio-weapon can't protect you from virus and 10 cents piece of cloth can?!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
So, you want to tell that military masks with protection against bio-weapon can't protect you from virus and 10 cents piece of cloth can?!
Yes. Because the filters aren't designed for filtering out virus. They have carbon to absorb chemicals and maybe a filter for bacteria, but virus is a lot smaller. Assuming your 10 cents piece of cloth is covering your nose and mouth well, that can provide protection. They may be great in a chemical weapon environment, but provide little protection for a virus.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
Yes. Because the filters aren't designed for filtering out virus. They have carbon to absorb chemicals and maybe a filter for bacteria, but virus is a lot smaller. Assuming your 10 cents piece of cloth is covering your nose and mouth well, that can provide protection. They may be great in a chemical weapon environment, but provide little protection for a virus.
Not an expert, but I've heard on radio story ....one girl was telling that masks are useless as you can even smell that somebody farts... and they explained that this is because fart's particles are much smaller than Covid virus.. and in military gas mask you cannot smell anything :)

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I only wear a mask where ordinance requires it. I won't wear one in the future as requirements begin to relax. I know people that think wearing a mask is fine forever, nothing wrong with that, just not my thing.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
1001 - 1020 of 1093 Posts