Canadian Money Forum banner

821 - 840 of 859 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I felt more comfortable shopping at La Comer in PV than in City Market (Loblaws) in West Vancouver. Masks were mandatory, Kids not allowed. Gloves handed out. Carts washed down. Shoes in soaking and then drying bin. And areas where people congregate, viz bakery and butcher, had extensive space to avoid traffic jams. And here you have to pass through the bakery to get to the main store. Passing is mandatory and with inadequate room.

Fresh Street has made masks mandatory here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do appreciate the stores that have not made it mandatory for masks, but I do understand their difficult position especially if they are a national chain. Not all Cities and provinces have the same COVID scenario and masks may not be warranted in all Cities. I can say store managers will not implement masks on an individual basis without head office approval.

You are better off putting pressure on you municipality and council to get a by law. That was the deciding factor here. There is no argument with the stores, or negative publicity, it becomes a standard. This is where I would focus my time instead of every store I need to visit.
Yellowknife is a prime example of this. Once Walmart made masks mandatory there was a noticeable drop off of people shopping there. Personally, I will not step foot in that building until the masks rule is lifted. Just last week Independent made masks mandatory at their 2 locations here. Again, I will not step foot in either store until the mask rule is lifted. Co-op still doesn't require masks and because of this I will spend my money there instead.

There are pockets of this country that don't require masks anywhere and Yellowknife might be at the very top of that list.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Yellowknife is a prime example of this. Once Walmart made masks mandatory there was a noticeable drop off of people shopping there. Personally, I will not step foot in that building until the masks rule is lifted. Just last week Independent made masks mandatory at their 2 locations here. Again, I will not step foot in either store until the mask rule is lifted. Co-op still doesn't require masks and because of this I will spend my money there instead.

There are pockets of this country that don't require masks anywhere and Yellowknife might be at the very top of that list.
That's great. By the way, what is your view towards having to stop for red traffic lights and not being allowed to drive 150 km/hr or faster on a public road?

·
Registered
4,919 Posts

... I can see on why that's the case in Yellowknife ... what's the population over there versus Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto or Montreal?

Currently in Toronto, masks are required (by law) in every store, restaurant plus public transit ... if I defy wearing one, then the choice is to stay home and starve. Or possibly die if I get a heart attack as no hospital is going to admit you without one. That's provided the paramedic agrees to touch / load me onto their ambulance first.

PS: You pay for the ambulance service here in Toronto. Not sure about Yellowknife though.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Yellowknife is a prime example of this. Once Walmart made masks mandatory there was a noticeable drop off of people shopping there. Personally, I will not step foot in that building until the masks rule is lifted.
In most cities in Ontario masks are mandatory indoors - everywhere - all stores. Case closed.

What would you do in this case where you live - would you actually starve because you didn't want to wear a mask? It's such a simple thing to pit your life against.

ltr

·
Registered
16 Posts
... I can see on why that's the case in Yellowknife ... what's the population over there versus Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto or Montreal?

Currently in Toronto, masks are required (by law) in every store, restaurant plus public transit ... if I defy wearing one, then the choice is to stay home and starve. Or possibly die if I get a heart attack as no hospital is going to admit you without one. That's provided the paramedic agrees to touch / load me onto their ambulance first.

PS: You pay for the ambulance service here in Toronto. Not sure about Yellowknife though.
Population of NWT is about 40,000 and 20,000-22,000 of which live in Yellowknife or just outside the city.

Before people chase me with pitch forks on mask wearing let me explain a few things in comparison to the major city or area YOU live in. Yellowknife is 725km north of the closest town in Alberta which is High Level with a population of 3000 people. The border has been 'closed' since mid March. For anyone who leaves the territory and returns you must isolate for 14 days. We have had 5 total cases with the last one being cleared in late April. NOT ONE CASE HAS BEEN IN THE HOSPITAL. Walmart made masks mandatory like 45 days ago? Independent just last week. Although I agree they should be mandatory down south, it doesn't make since up here.

It's been 6 months since the world shut down and now, just now in the last few weeks the city wants to start making masks mandatory everywhere. If you lived in a community this isolated would you be happy that they are just NOW doing what the rest of the country has done months ago? You need to understand that for the most part people in the city are not the least bit concerned about catching Covid.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
... You need to understand that for the most part people in the city are not the least bit concerned about catching Covid.
... hmmm, in that case Albertans should recommend to the sneaky Americans to skip Alaska altogether and detour/visit our friendly Yellowknife / NWT instead. No masks required ... no quarantine of any kind. "All" visitors welcomed.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
No reason to wear a mask in Yellowknife haha...save that for people living in density. Most of Canada outside larger cities wearing a mask is pointless but used as a panacea for those in fear.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
^
No reason to wear a mask in Yellowknife haha...save that for people living in density. Most of Canada outside larger cities wearing a mask is pointless but used as a panacea for those in fear.
... so is skirting the law also in those areas.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Which law is deemed to be skirted? I also avoid places like WalMart and Loblaws as well that have mandatory masks if possible...most people in those places have no concept of distancing...

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
That's not true. COVID spread aggressively in rural Manitoba. COVID also has been spreading in rural Alberta and there are even people hospitalized in rural areas.

I think it's more accurate to say that one needs to keep up to date with current outbreaks and infection areas. If you live in an area with known COVID cases, you must wear a mask around strangers. Same if there are any cases close to where you live, even if rural.

The only time wearing a mask is pointless is if you are in some zone that has nil cases, but this is pretty rare in Canada and the US.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
I guess we'll disagree...social distancing and clean hands is much more important than a non surgical mask.

If we eliminate Calgary & Edmonton there are only 100 active cases in the rest of Alberta...none in ICU.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I haven’t been following it too closely....covid fatigue......but it appears transmission on planes is low.......are masks the reason?

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
I haven’t been following it too closely....covid fatigue......but it appears transmission on planes is low.......are masks the reason?
Plane situation is a tough one to decipher because there is no case tracking relating to passengers, so we really don't know if anyone is picking it up on planes.

·
Registered
579 Posts

I was in Walmart several times since they made it their so called mandatory rules which goes against your human rights. I never wore a mask & refuse to wear one. (go to mask excemptions.ca)

·
Registered
12,902 Posts
Believe it or not, but most Canadians live in Canada's largest cities.

The social distancing rules should be sensitive to local conditions, but consider that you may be seeing people from higher incidence area moving to areas with lower incidence.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
... + James' post #835 ... not sure that's the case if this is published (Sept. 24, 2020 is pretty recent):

List of recent potential COVID-19 exposures on flights through British Columbia

CP24 publishes a list from time to time (every 2 weeks?, can't recall exactly) where there're active covid19 found amongst the passengers of those flights - from everywhere, domestic, international ... just not from outerspace..yet.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I was in Walmart several times since they made it their so called mandatory rules which goes against your human rights. I never wore a mask & refuse to wear one. (go to mask excemptions.ca)
... did it ever occurred to you that someone's rights are infringed when you infect them with your germs? I don't suppose you never heard of the word " pandemic", never mind understood it. Yes, it's your right to be ignorant and selfish.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I guess we'll disagree...social distancing and clean hands is much more important than a non surgical mask.

If we eliminate Calgary & Edmonton there are only 100 active cases in the rest of Alberta...none in ICU.
.. all laughable.

821 - 840 of 859 Posts