Canadian Money Forum banner

801 - 820 of 859 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I have gone to quite a few restaurants,
I think the visiting of restaurants is very specific to a person's situation, just like investing, so no judgments should be made.

Myself, you couldn't pay me enough to go to a restaurant. I'm in the 70 year old crowd with a bit of a lung problem, and so, if I get that pesky virus, I'm dead.

Why would I go to a situation that puts my very life at risk to eat a sandwich? I can eat quite comfortably in my safe home.

And there's the rub. Everyone's situation is different. Just as everyone is different in investing, everyone is different with respect to the risk they might take with respect to the virus.

ltr

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I have certainly seen people incorrectly wearing all types of masks, matters not if it's a cheap cloth mask or a Gucci mask (which I take to mean any dark colored material mask with a logo).

It doesn't seem to matter, rich or poor, there appears to me to be a large percentage of people that simply don't understand how to wear a mask. The number one problem is wearing it below the nose from my observation.

View attachment 20663

ltr
My comments were meant at Sags that he was referring to the designer or expensive masks. I was trying to say exactly what you illustrated better than I did. That was that he needs to stop criticizing the wealthy because they have designer masks, but rather look at if they are wearing masks properly. He needs to stop villainizing the wealthy, both groups are stupid in wearing masks. I may have taken sags more literal as he tends to demonize the wealthy.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Maybe there IS a problem? You are making the assumption that friends are not carrying the virus because you know them well?? Do you know who they have been in contact with? You assume that people at the next table are far enough away and that the virus is not present in air that is circulated by the HVAC system. Relying on contact tracing means that you and your friends accept that you may test positive and will need to find out why.

Covid cases in Canada have gone up significantly since businesses started to open up. Not surprising really. And they will go up even more as more people find a need to move more to indoor public facilities.

It is just a trade off. Allow businesses to open and accept the increased number of cases. Economy needs to be propped up, but there is a cost. Restaurant patrons and those visiting other public facilities have to accept that they are at risk.

As someone in a most susceptible age group, I do not expose myself or my family. We have no NEED to go to restaurants. Instead, we regularly get take out, buy our own beer and wine and eat and drink in much more pleasant surroundings than any restaurant. From time to time we have friends or family over and we also visit them. These visits have been on waterfront decks with great views and we take care to keep our distance. Winter will pose more of a problem. We may be back to Skype visits!

You are younger and have made your own decision. That is your choice, so long as you don't endanger others.
Perhaps there is a problem. But in my case I don't believe so (mind you does any really believe they are the problem). I do make assumptions about my friends. My friends know that I am very cautious regarding COVID, am in a higher risk category, and take care of my elderly parents who are at the highest risk. They are also cautious, but not as much as me at time. I do have a pretty good idea who they hang out with and their families and know they respect me enough to help keep me safe by not meeting if there are any concerns. Example is one of their kids ended up at a party with more kids than should have been there a few weeks ago. My friend had the whole family tested just to be sure. My other friend their is a medical professional tested too before meeting up. They take these precautions not just for me, but they do not want to spread it either. I am very careful on who I go into close contact with because my group of contacts all have kids in school and activities. That being said, I seldom go indoors to visit people outside my immediate family. This was one of the exceptions because the patio was freezing out even with heaters.

When going into the restaurants or most businesses, I am also very careful. I ask to use the washroom first and walk through to see what the set up is in terms of safety protocols regarding flow of traffic, social distancing, barriers, staff processes and how well staff are enforcing the rules including making people sanitize prior to walking in, if people seem to be following the rules. If not, I leave. I also do check to see if I can see how the HVAC may be blowing, and if possible will ask the staff to sit me at the table I believe is the safest (dependant at the time)

To minimize the risk to others, if I believe I have done something 'riskier' such at going inside a restaurant, I will reduce my exposure to other for the next couple of weeks. I would say I am extra diligent with social distancing but I don't think it's possible to be more so as I am ready quite vigilant about it. I will not visit my elderly parents, or only go to their place fully masked and will help them with what they need but I have them in a different room until I can disinfect. We have even changed our sleeping arrangements if we think there is any chance of transmission.

I know my protocols do not guarantee not catching or spreading the virus. However, I do believe I have taken as much of the risk out as I can without not going out at all. As you said, it is a balance. In my family and my life, we have taken the stance that we much learn to live in a world where the virus is prevalent without it stopping from us living life.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #807
Perhaps there is a problem. But in my case I don't believe so (mind you does any really believe they are the problem).
Good point! And does sound like you are being more careful than most.

My "kids" are likely more in your demographic and live in a different city from us. Only occasional visits. My wife and I and our close friends are more likely your parents age (or older!) Probably quite different lifestyle. About all we are missing out on at present, is dining out. What we will miss, is getting away for the winter. Can't see that happening this winter.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
I emailed Safeway's corporate contact and got back a reply. I wrote that I saw, at times, as little as 50% of customers wearing masks and asked if they can require masks, like other grocery stores now do in BC.

They said that they are following Public Health guidance, and masks are not mandatory. Their (boilerplate) response talks a lot about masks for their employees and how much cleaning they do.

That shows a lack of understanding of the situation. I'm talking about customers bringing in COVID and infecting other customers through airborne transmission. Has nothing to do with their employees wearing masks, and nothing to do with hell well they wipe down the store.

Any suggestion for how I can put more pressure on Safeway? Is there a better way to contact someone there?

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
There is no point to masks if social distance is maintained...not sure why people don't get it.

·
Registered
12,902 Posts
I emailed Safeway's corporate contact and got back a reply. I wrote that I saw, at times, as little as 50% of customers wearing masks and asked if they can require masks, like other grocery stores now do in BC.

They said that they are following Public Health guidance, and masks are not mandatory. Their (boilerplate) response talks a lot about masks for their employees and how much cleaning they do.

That shows a lack of understanding of the situation. I'm talking about customers bringing in COVID and infecting other customers through airborne transmission. Has nothing to do with their employees wearing masks, and nothing to do with hell well they wipe down the store.

Any suggestion for how I can put more pressure on Safeway? Is there a better way to contact someone there?
Tell them you won't step foot in their store as long as they don't require masks. Send a message to the store manager as well.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
There is no point to masks if social distance is maintained...not sure why people don't get it.
But that's the problem in some grocery stores. There is NOT enough space to distance oneself. It depends on the layout of the particular store.

I'm still shopping at this Safeway because it's actually more spacious than some of my other options. The guidance on masks is clear: whenever you are unable to leave enough distance between people, or you come into close proximity with strangers, everyone needs to wear masks.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Perhaps pressure Public Health instead, since Safeway (and likely others) are following that guidance. Or shop elsewhere.
Public health does not have the power to make up laws that goes against human rights. The tyrants in public health trying to be dictators should be put on trial & hung for crimes against humanity. There is no pandemic are people blind to the fact that 50% of the people are not dying in the streets.

·
Registered
579 Posts
But that's the problem in some grocery stores. There is NOT enough space to distance oneself. It depends on the layout of the particular store.

I'm still shopping at this Safeway because it's actually more spacious than some of my other options. The guidance on masks is clear: whenever you are unable to leave enough distance between people, or you come into close proximity with strangers, everyone needs to wear masks.
Come on J4B do you really believe a mask is going to save you. No wonder people hailed Hitler. Everyone of you that wear masks have no back bone to fight for freedom & you do not deserve liberty or freedom. You all deserve to be slaves to dictators who offer you no safety with masks. Next will be to poison you with vaccine for a pandemic that does not even make the top ten causes of death. The numbers have been BS from the start.

Everyone that gives up freedom & liberty for a little bit of safety deserves neither liberty, safety or freedom. People have died to give us our freedom & the sheeple are dumber then the dumbest sheeple.

Those that do not take comfort in the herd again will be forced to fight the dictators with no help from the sheeple.

Are the sheeple completely blind to history. Throughout history trusting in power tripping government was always more dangerous then any virus & it still is. People I see wearing masks, doing contract tracing following orders of the dictators sicken me. Governments around the world are power tripping & the sheeple want to be their slaves.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
Come on J4B do you really believe a mask is going to save you.
I think it reduces the probability I will catch the bug, and when others wear it too, I think it reduces the probability any of us catch it.

Plus I think that elderly people and people with health problems have a right to go out into the world and do the shopping they need. By wearing a mask, I'm making it safer for them, and making them more comfortable. That's a pretty big win, otherwise those people have to stay trapped indoors.

But instead if I wear a mask (very minor inconvenience) my elderly neighbours and people with chronic conditions can actually go out and do what they need.

Masks create freedom.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Here's one guy who won't be wearing a mask. He also flew from Ireland to Canada, then violated the quarantine (required upon entering Canada) to go to a public rally in downtown Toronto!
... so that's the ugly monkey who has been flaunting the laws. I don't know why he isn't in jail by now. Are they afraid he's gonna catch Covid 19 there? Or they gonna to to continue letting this super-spreader (by now) continue with is sh1t-disturbing-spreading .... "Look at me!!!! I'm not a sheeple, I'm special!!!!"

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

I do appreciate the stores that have not made it mandatory for masks, but I do understand their difficult position especially if they are a national chain. Not all Cities and provinces have the same COVID scenario and masks may not be warranted in all Cities. I can say store managers will not implement masks on an individual basis without head office approval.

You are better off putting pressure on you municipality and council to get a by law. That was the deciding factor here. There is no argument with the stores, or negative publicity, it becomes a standard. This is where I would focus my time instead of every store I need to visit.

801 - 820 of 859 Posts