Canadian Money Forum banner

701 - 715 of 715 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Now that three layer non-medical masks can be bought in quantity, I am using my old Singer sewing machine to convert two non-medical masks along with a Bounty paper towel into one disposable Florida Prototype 2 mask...
It takes one half hour to make the conversion and supposedly the masks can be worn for two to three hours. (Before I start, I make sure all surfaces plus my hands are sterile.)

The FLORIDA PROTOTYPE 2 involves a cone shape around the nose and the mouth and darts to snug the mask under the chin. Their web site brags” The mask has passed the Respirator Fit Test”. And no kidding they are right....plus the additional available surface area enhances breathability.

See photos... Talk about comfort.... Once the nose band and ear bands are re-attached correctly, the fit makes a perfect seal, there is no resistance to breathing and you don’t need to fidget with the nose area to make it more comfortable and safer to breath.

I also used the pattern (and to some degree the sewing instructions) to make a supply of different sized masks using a minimum of 3 layers of 180 tread count 100% cotton and one or two layers of shop towel ending with a Bounty paper towel insert. (Patterns were made with printouts for 100%, 102%, 105% or a combination of printouts for 105/110 and 100/90). My grandkids need a 100/90.
Typical mask layering from out to in is cotton, shop towel, cotton, shop towel, cotton, paper towel.
Added later: With the paper towel insert removed, I can hand wash in very hot water and tide laundry soap, rinse well, hang to drip dry, and after placing in the clothes drier for three – ten minute heat cycles hang in a closet to dry completely.

For added protection (water proof outer layer) I am now making non-medical sizes105 and 105/110 with or without paper towel covers for our large supply of cloth masks. Once used, we put them in a paper bag for three days before we reuse. Right now there are no active cases of Covid-19 in our three united counties and we are under a mandatory mask order. Once Covid-19 cases start popping up here and there I will start disposing the disposables after each use.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Now that three layer non-medical masks can be bought in quantity, I am using my old Singer sewing machine to convert two non-medical masks along with a Bounty paper towel into one disposable.
Oh! That is kind of heavy-duty.
With that mask I would guess that you could spend all day inside a leper colony and survive.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am of the opinion Covid-19 will be with us for many years to come. To keep our economy up and running, great fitting masks, safety googles and head coverings will need to be worn by those who want to stay safe when not able to social distance.

There are now supplies of rectangular three layer non medical masks that some say are better than cloth. But I see people constantly touching this type of mask to make it fit better over their nose.

Once there is a supply of medical grade N95 masks available for my family to purchase at a drug store (like before Covid-19), my cloth masks will be repurposed as doll hats.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Well, I am 72 and life needs to be fun and not just productive.
I see no fun happening inside that mask that you posted a photo of.
Life is supposed to be fun.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Well, I am 72 and life needs to be fun and not just productive.
I see no fun happening inside that mask that you posted a photo of.
Life is supposed to be fun.
That was previous life calm. Now life is about staying alive. It's a whole new world now.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I saw a scene on the news the other day of an ICU situation. There were about 5 or 6 medical personnel probably putting a patient on a ventilator. They were all gowned out with PPE and then I noticed a fairly large picture, probably around 8"x10" of someone, that each person in the room, was hanging around their necks, on their chests. At first I thought they were honouring some patient they knew. I could tell that each picture was of a different person. Eventually I figured out that the picture they carried on their chests, was a picture of themselves. They wore so much PPE that they probably could not tell who they were talking to in the room or who was giving them an order. I suppose knowing who your individual co-workers are would be very important in an ICU room. It was interesting to see their solution.

·
Registered
714 Posts
When this virus trip first happened, they mentioned these self photo's.
The claim was to set the patient at ease because of all the gear.
A smiling human face.
I remember when in early march and when seeing totally masked nurses 24-7 in TV-Land had viewers afraid to go to the hospital.
The story might well of been story time to have viewers feel good.

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
I think most people's fear of going to the hospital was hospital-acquired infection, not fear of medical staff in PPE.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
To be honest, I kind of thought the pictures of the smiling staff, when conducting an emergency life or death activity, was a little tacky at that time, but I associated the pictures to the need to know who exactly was in the room. I suspect that is vital and with their face coverings, which included head and hair cover, shields and masks, it would have been difficult to know who was in there without the identifying pictures. I don't think the pictures help the patients much at all.

·
Registered
714 Posts
When I saw the photo explanation in TV-Land, it was produced as a human interest story (humanity) and a kindness shown towards the patients and to have them relax.

But that is just TV-Land. Your point about knowing who is in the room is quite valid.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
The original idea was for patients but I see no reason why it cannot now be for both patients and other staff. Why argue over one or the other being the use.

·
Registered
10,188 Posts
Face masks become mandatory in all Walmarts as of Aug 12th. That is fine with me. I mask up going into stores anyway and Walmart has been a bit of a haphazard. I am still in the minority of people wearing masks at Superstore though. There really is nothing problematic wearing a mask for 30-60 minutes while in a Walmart or a Superstore. It's not a real burden.

We are all going to have to get used to using masks. Dr Tam, among others, believe mask wearing will be with us for 2-3 years. It will take quite a long time to get vaccinations through to the majority of the population and no one yet knows how long the anti-bodies will last. We probably won't have a good assessment of where we are headed for another year. We already see how covid cases are increasing at various places around the world when one's guard is let down. It is highly contagious, plain and simple.

701 - 715 of 715 Posts