Canadian Money Forum banner

261 - 280 of 324 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
No Shirt - No Shoes - No Mask
Be sure to wear a seat belt as you drive over.
And don't smoke in a public place either
It was not long ago people were not allowed to wear a mask,
Franklin once said "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Anyone that thinks they are protecting others by wearing a mask is actually risking Liberty to all.

Why wear a mask when you can breath fresh air ? Stay in doors wear a mask makes no sense to staying healthy.

·
Registered
12,390 Posts
Franklin once said "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Anyone that thinks they are protecting others by wearing a mask is actually risking Liberty to all.

Why wear a mask when you can breath fresh air ? Stay in doors wear a mask makes no sense to staying healthy.
So, you would have no issue volunteering to help COVID patients in the hospital, sans mask?

And I guess you'll also think doctors are being silly by wearing PPE while performing surgery, etc.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
My work had provided reusable masks for all of us. They are not the ones I would have chosen (not filter pocket or nose wire) but they are very good fabric. I have been keeping an eye It for masks on the market as they are starting to be commercial produced (still not medical). I have found that many stores are now carrying the disposable. Costco had some the other day. I did find them thicker than the ones I have seen in other little shops. I finding there is such a range in quality out there. Just curious what people are noticing in the mask front. Any better ones?

I know masks are to protect those around them, but now evidence is emerging that the wearer has some protection (this always made sense to me, but many thought mask were just one way). I have found one Japanese store that has them certified by the government (hi have to confirm which government) but these look very promising. They also have the childrens sizes which are not very common. I plan to have my kids return to school with masks even though I know it will only be a recommendation. I can’t see the school board providing them due to budget cuts, but I am seriously considering providing them for the class if I can source them.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
What do you think compliance will be like for kids to wear masks all day?
It's a great question with many variable. In other countries, kids wearing I masks is just the norm and there is no problems with compliance. In Canada, it will be definitely varied. I believe it is possible for compliance and proper wearing to be learned, but it needs to be reinforced.

Little kids are so random, I won't even begin there.
Older kids will eventually do it if it's been taught properly and reinforced. Also, if the measure are easy then it works better.

For kids to wear masks at school a lot of things need to be taken in consideration:
  • Kids/families need to have the masks. Some families cannot afford masks, some will not make the effort to get them. That's why I am considering buying/making enough masks that the teacher can hand them out in the classroom. Also, there will be kids that forget their masks, again, masks need to be available. For reusable masks, they need to be washed. They may not be washed often enough, or forgotten at home.
  • Wearing the masks, I see so many adults that don't wear them correctly. Teaching the kids to put them on properly, not touching them, and washing their hands can be a challenge.
  • Keeping them on all day. Masks will get moist, which loses their effectiveness, so multiple masks need to be required. Also, not all school activities can be performed with a mask. I wonder how some plays an instrument with a mask.
  • There some kids with breathing issues, and sensory challenges that should not wear a mask. Of course they should be exempt, which is why it's important that others do take the precautions.
I do see there are challenges with school mask wearing. However, I have always been a firm believer that some action is better than none at all. Even if every family doesn't comply, the more they do, the safer those around them are. I don't know if the school will even agree to my suggestion but I plan to do whatever I can to help.

On a side note, I am a leader for my kids guiding activities. When we are allowed back, I plan to make it mandatory for all the kids to wear masks. I will personally provide each child that needs one, and it will be a requirement for them to show up with the mask, buy one, or borrow one. We plan to have a craft night where they will sew their own masks, and another night for safety. I also have been getting supplies so each child can have a 'kit' they can use.

Because I am in contact with high risk people, I have drilled it into their heads on what safety measure they are expected. They each have a kit that has two masks sealed in a baggie, filter, gloves, paper bag (to put the used mask), hand sanitizer, Lysol wipes and spray), plastic bag (for the garbage). They take this little kit with them every time they leave the house. They know to put the used masks in the paper bag which gets washed when they are home, gloves and wipes go into the plastic bag and thrown in the outside garbage, and all items get checked and replenished each time they go out. It was a little bit of a battle at first and a lot of reinforcement, but now, if I say we need to go out, they check and grab their kit.

I didn't clearly answer you question on what compliance will be. Honestly, I don't think it will be great overall because people just don't bother or care. However, I am a pretty persausive, and I believe that in the areas that my kids are involved, their will be much higher compliance.

·
Registered
408 Posts
On April 30th, I ordered some masks on line.

I wanted a mask which I could wash and could also change the "filter" cloth more easily.
I got my niece to crocket me a mask and I ordered 10 Meters 3mm Round Earloop Elastics For Fabric Masks

I ordered one face mask (Canada + Maple Leaf)
Item Purchased : April 30, 2020 and my VISA was charged $29.00 and 2 months later not even delivered yet.
I thought when I ordered it was going to be shipped from Vancover. Only after VISA paid, e-Mail me and tell me it was being "Mailed" (snail delivery) from China

April 30th, I ordered 3 masks from the NHL. (Toronto Maple Leafs)
Adult Toronto Maple Leafs FOCO - Face Covering 3-Pack 56.48
Just after I ordered, I got an e-Mail advising delivery was June 30th. (2 month delay delivery)
Still waiting.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So, you would have no issue volunteering to help COVID patients in the hospital, sans mask?

And I guess you'll also think doctors are being silly by wearing PPE while performing surgery, etc.
No one dies of a heart attack anymore its all COVID. The numbers are way over blown. Flu is more deadly then COVID. Doctors are smart enough not to wear a mask when not performing surgery Wearing a mask 24/7 is just not healthy. Someone fears over BS should not effect what others do. If masks are so protective they should protect the user from those not wearing a mask. The world has gone completely mental.

With contract tracing hospitals should be avoided when possible.

·
Registered
12,390 Posts
No one dies of a heart attack anymore its all COVID. The numbers are way over blown. Flu is more deadly then COVID. Doctors are smart enough not to wear a mask when not performing surgery Wearing a mask 24/7 is just not healthy. Someone fears over BS should not effect what others do. If masks are so protective they should protect the user from those not wearing a mask. The world has gone completely mental.

With contract tracing hospitals should be avoided when possible.
So you don't have the courage of your convictions. Got it.

·
Registered
12,390 Posts
Plugging: I think compliance would be better if all the kids are wearing masks. I just don't see that being the reality unless it is required. And hopefully it is not really required at all or for more than a few months come Sept. I know Taiwan seems to have good success having kids use masks in school, but they were pretty ruthless about enforcing it.

I just think of some of the young kids I have seen washing their hands. They seem to have no concept of how to wash their hands, and too little dexterity to do it well. Inevitably an adult either has to say 'good enough' or swoop in and wash their hands for them. Otherwise it just seems to consist of a bit of half-hearted smooshing of soap between hands. I can't help but wonder if that is reflective of how they would use a mask as well.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I bought 12 bottles of after shave lotion and use that (alcohol) to rinse my hands.
No need to squish around my hands and fingers using some kind of paste.
t sure hope the virus is not attracted by the nice smell.

I think kids just love to copycat their parents and would wear any mask with pride.
Try and find somebody with a sewing machine and make a personal mask or one with a dinosoar on it. Maybe even a Batman.

I think that we are going to be facing this virus threat for at least a year and perhaps 2 years.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Plugging: I think compliance would be better if all the kids are wearing masks. I just don't see that being the reality unless it is required. And hopefully it is not really required at all or for more than a few months come Sept. I know Taiwan seems to have good success having kids use masks in school, but they were pretty ruthless about enforcing it.

I just think of some of the young kids I have seen washing their hands. They seem to have no concept of how to wash their hands, and too little dexterity to do it well. Inevitably an adult either has to say 'good enough' or swoop in and wash their hands for them. Otherwise it just seems to consist of a bit of half-hearted smooshing of soap between hands. I can't help but wonder if that is reflective of how they would use a mask as well.
The issue would be wearing masks effectively. As already mentioned, once they get moist, protection is reduced significantly. And then there is the fun time of lunch. So maybe pack 2 masks and change after lunch? The other issue is that to put the mask on, you should be doing that with sterile hands... which can be difficult for kids.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
The issue would be wearing masks effectively. As already mentioned, once they get moist, protection is reduced significantly. And then there is the fun time of lunch. So maybe pack 2 masks and change after lunch? The other issue is that to put the mask on, you should be doing that with sterile hands... which can be difficult for kids.
I can share the approach I used when flying recently. From the moment I leave the house, there are many hours of travel and mask usage, so I had to come up with some strategy.

In my backpack, I carry one ziplock bag marked "dirty masks" and one marked "clean masks" which contained two disposable surgical masks. These were the spare/backups.

The day started with a reusable, washable mask when I left out the door. A mask can get soiled, or even fall off. If I had to change the mask, I would place it into the "dirty masks" ziplock and then replace with one of the "clean masks".

I've now flown twice during COVID, and it turned out that the 100% cotton cloth masks did quite well for the entire journey, so I did not have to switch to any of my backups. These masks were not so great at "staying up", and I had to occasionally tilt my head down to reposition them (hands-free) but the 100% cotton cloth was very comfortable, quite breathable and was in pretty good shape even after 6 to 7 hours of wearing.

I will continue to carry the disposable surgical masks as backups. They pack very nicely, because they are flat, so they go well into a ziplock bag. But they aren't my favourite to wear.

We are going to have to get used to this -- might as well start practicing.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I can share the approach I used when flying recently. From the moment I leave the house, there are many hours of travel and mask usage, so I had to come up with some strategy.
You're in a different league than I am James.

Myself, I have to shop once a week and also make a few hardware store visits. I have a proper 3M N95 mask that I feel is quite effective, and I sterilize it in the oven with a standard procedure at home after each foray into the world. They claim I can sterilize it at least 50 times, so I can reuse that mask for a really long time. I admit it's a bit of a pain in the butt to use longer than about an hour since it's hard to breath and my glasses fog up. But, I feel it's very effective.

I also have a 50 quantity box of the best blue standard masks from Walmart that everyone else seems to use.

It's amazing how easy it is to breath using the standard blue masks compared to an N95 mask. Night and day. It makes me think that the blue masks are not really that effective compared to a proper N95 mask.

What do you think?

ltr

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It's amazing how easy it is to breath using the standard blue masks compared to an N95 mask. Night and day. It makes me think that the blue masks are not really that effective compared to a proper N95 mask.
Yes, that's the case. The blue surgical masks allow a lot of gap on the side of the face so air flow is easier, and protection is obviously compromised. So while it offers some protection for direct liquid transfer, it's not as effective of N95 mask which has a one way valve.

To some degree, the cloth masks aren't that protective; however, they do reduce the likelihood of liquid transfer.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I agree. I also found breathing was 'too easy' with the blue surgical masks. There are big gaps on the sides. But, they are very convenient.

My multi-layer cloth masks made from bandannas, the ones I first started wearing, have great coverage over the nose & mouth. Many layers with a tight fit. And yes, breathing is difficult with them.

I'm pretty sure my multi layered cloth masks offered better protection than the blue surgical masks.

If another major infection wave happens a few months from now, I'll probably start wearing my first method (layered bandanna) again, even though it's hard to breathe.

My perspective is that the masks are first and foremost about stopping liquid droplets. I think the surgical masks can do this too, but their coverage is slightly compromised due to the loose sides.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts

I don’t see the school boards making masks mandatory if the province doesn’t. I also hope there won’t be a need. However, even if there is a need if it’s not mandatory, then influencing others is the best we can do. The more people that wear masks the safer it is.
Even safer if people wear them properly.

I agree about hand washing too that people not just kids don’t do it properly. However, at least most people don’t argue that handwashing is good and doesn’t go against their freedoms.

Years ago, people did not understand how hand-washing reduces spread of germs. I thought also understood the same about masks but I am guessing it’s acceptance.

At school, my kids will wear masks if necessary. They will also ask their friends around them to do so. They will explain there are high risk people in their family and hope they understand. They will have extra masks if one is not available. I think part of the mask argument is it’s just something people here don’t do. When they see more and more people wearing them, it doesn’t become a big deal. Just like seatbelts and bike helmets.

At our house, we ask anyone who wants to visit that we do it outside and people have masks available or we will supply one. We provide hand sanitizer and disinfectants at the door in case a guest needs to go to the washroom. We explain why we are extra cautious, and everyone complies.

My kids don’t like wearing masks at all but understand we do to respect those around us and it’s important to do our part. Kids just need to be taught.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I agree. I also found breathing was 'too easy' with the blue surgical masks. There are big gaps on the sides. But, they are very convenient.

My multi-layer cloth masks made from bandannas, the ones I first started wearing, have great coverage over the nose & mouth. Many layers with a tight fit. And yes, breathing is difficult with them.

I'm pretty sure my multi layered cloth masks offered better protection than the blue surgical masks.

If another major infection wave happens a few months from now, I'll probably start wearing my first method (layered bandanna) again, even though it's hard to breathe.

My perspective is that the masks are first and foremost about stopping liquid droplets. I think the surgical masks can do this too, but their coverage is slightly compromised due to the loose sides.
During the earlier days when the blue masks were barely available to medical staff, I know doctors that were having custom made masks that covered the surgical masks so they would last longer. It wasn’t allowed in the hospitals or day surgeries because they needed to be changed between every patient, but in practices where they do not need to change between patients, it was very helpful.

I have found PM2.5 filters are much breathable than the shop towels I had. Like everything else, you get used to it.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I think it's really interesting when people suddenly deal with a new problem.

We have a pathogen we don't completely understand. There are major issues of availability of materials, comfort, etc. So we all take a stab at it from various angles. We try different things, test it out, refine and adapt.

I'm still waiting to receive my Old Navy mask order. I don't have high hopes from them, but curious to see what they're like.

261 - 280 of 324 Posts