Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 285 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a very interesting interview with George Gao, director-general of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (PhD from Oxford!)

Not wearing masks to protect against coronavirus is a ‘big mistake,’ top Chinese scientist says

Not just about masks, but about how the Chinese handled the epidemic.

Anyone know where to buy masks - even non surgical ones? Like the ones we see many Asians wearing?

I do have three N95 masks. One is from 3M. The other two are made in China and called GOLD. The masks are actually designated N95v (I suspect the V may designate the valve that they have) The GOLD package of two cost me $2.99! These are intended for use when painting or doing other work that produces fine particles or droplets. We may use these when we go out, but just wondering if others have found sources of masks, other than home made.

Sorry - This forum software doesn't have a way to rotate image.

·
Registered
12,389 Posts
Very informative video.

It looks to me that if they are labelled as "respirator" masks they should be protective. They also have to fit snugly to face.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a dated video and that guy is not really qualified to advise us. Do we see medical people using those large respirators? I have one and they are very cumbersome. I have used it when doing some serious sanding of toxic paint. But for use while shopping or otherwise in public? No way.

It seems that authorities are now moving toward having everyone wear masks. But so far no guidance as to which type and where we might be able to get them.

This article provides some data on effectiveness of different types.
Face masks for COVID-19: A deep dive into the data
(Not very well written and hard to decide which types might be available and work for us now).

So what do we do? For now, I guess my wife and I will use the N95s we have and try to re-use using methods provided here in another thread.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Do we see medical people using those large respirators? I have one and they are very cumbersome.

It seems that authorities are now moving toward having everyone wear masks. But so far no guidance as to which type and where we might be able to get them.
I searched respirators on amazon just to see what's available and in the US those large 3M masks have this message

"Prioritized for hospitals and government agencies directly responding to COVID-19 in the U.S."

US military and government are now confiscating stockpiles and transports of N95 masks for frontline workers

If anything I'll just wear a buff style gaitor. I own lots of them and they're very comfortable. They also show up on amazon when you search for respirator

Probably doesn't filter as good as N95 but also does seal better to the face than the surgical style masks.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I searched respirators on amazon just to see what's available and in the US those large 3M masks have this message

"Prioritized for hospitals and government agencies directly responding to COVID-19 in the U.S."

US military and government are now confiscating stockpiles and transports of N95 masks for frontline workers
I looked and saw a couple of Amazon ads with that statement. Have you ever seen a health pro wearing one of those bulky respirators? Maybe first responders for fires? I don't think that is the type that 3M are having trouble sending us. More likely these (taken from a health site asking for donations of masks). Same as one I have.

·
Registered
12,389 Posts
An Ontario company has already developed a similar mask to 3M's N96 mask. It is being tested for government approval.

Premier Ford set aside $50 million to help companies retool to manufacture medical equipment. It looks like a wise move on his part.

If approval is granted, the company should start producing masks in bulk in a few days. Ford says they will be capable of supplying all of Canada.

Hopefully we will soon see the masks on the shelves.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I looked and saw a couple of Amazon ads with that statement. Have you ever seen a health pro wearing one of those bulky respirators? Maybe first responders for fires?
Yea disposable makes a lot of sense. You would have to disinfect those masks to reuse them

With the military CBRN masks you decontaminate them in a soapy water tub then rinse and hang dry.

In a hospital the disposable gloves and masks would be a lot more convenient

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Well, at least COVID-19 seems to be more durable and longer-lasting than most of what is made in China. Give credit where due.

·
Registered
12,265 Posts
No one really knows for sure how the Chinese handled the pandemic...all we know is the official party line, which is probably far from the truth.
That is speculation. It's not as if there aren't non-Chinese journalists. I don't disagree that the CCP puts spin on things (as does the US), but they aren't hiding 10 million corpses or whatever conspiracy hypothesis you might want to promulgate.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
We had ordered some reusable masks off amazon earlier last month. They still haven’t arrived. They are still made in China and are not N95 but are better than nothing. Originally I bought them in case one of the people on my family get sick to protect the rest or at least all of us aren’t sick at the same time.

While waiting for them to arrive, I have followed the diy no sew options on line using a bandana, and elastics. Also, I found one using blue shop towels which I found several studies that are saying a double layer is up to 95% effective and bonus you can actually breath. I am in the process of making a few and then disinfecting them in my oven as they are good for up to 8 wears.

There are also a few local people who are sewing these masks and sellIng them. These options aren’t perfect but I will be playing around with combinations Soon.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I don't disagree that the CCP puts spin on things (as does the US), but they aren't hiding 10 million corpses or whatever conspiracy hypothesis you might want to promulgate.
China announced new lockdowns due to another wave of infections. US is just as guilty of spin. It's hard to recognize if it's what you want to hear and don't have any other perspectives. Pointing blame is poor leadership imo

While waiting for them to arrive, I have followed the diy no sew options on line using a bandana, and elastics. Also, I found one using blue shop towels which I found several studies that are saying a double layer is up to 95% effective and bonus you can actually breath. I am in the process of making a few and then disinfecting them in my oven as they are good for up to 8 wears.
A neck gaiter or "buff" is basically a bandana with built in elasticity. You can get thick, thin various material online from microfiber to merino. You could even add the folded shop towel underneath if you want

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
China announced new lockdowns due to another wave of infections. US is just as guilty of spin. It's hard to recognize if it's what you want to hear and don't have any other perspectives. Pointing blame is poor leadership imo

A neck gaiter or "buff" is basically a bandana with built in elasticity. You can get thick, thin various material online from microfiber to merino. You could even add the folded shop towel underneath if you want
I think I have a few of those already, but I didn’t know if it would be as effective. I like the idea of putting a shop towel in though. I will have to find my buff and see how it works.

·
Registered
16,380 Posts
The CDC does recommend using even home-made masks in public. They have some instructions here: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies), especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.
Any mask is likely better than none. I've been wearing dust masks when I go into stores because that's all I had. I plan to add an additional layer on the inside of my dust mask to strengthen the barrier a bit.

I'm also planning to start using a homemade fabric mask, either according to the CDC instructions or something else made from old t-shirts.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I'm also planning to start using a homemade fabric mask, either according to the CDC instructions or something else made from old t-shirts.
Scarf, keffiyeh/shemagh, balaclava, bandana, neck gaiter/buff. Should all do about the same as an old t-shirt

I tried them all for motorbiking and the knock off buffs are very comfortable and like 5 for $20. You can machine wash em and less fiddling around to put them on/off

Or one of the following

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
M3S. Thanks for the chuckle. I feel whatever I come up with will be better than the ones you posts. I did quite like the snorkel. There is a guy in my city that has been wearing his inflatable tricetops Halloween costume on walks. It’s been in the news and quite entertainment. The other day a few more people joined in the walk to make a little parade down the sidewalk. I would guess they were and good 5 meters apart when you accounted for the costumes.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
The CDC does recommend using even home-made masks in public. They have some instructions here: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Any mask is likely better than none. I've been wearing dust masks when I go into stores because that's all I had. I plan to add an additional layer on the inside of my dust mask to strengthen the barrier a bit.

You are right that something is better than nothing, but there some materials that are better than others. Anything too breathable or porous is not as good. Some really old shirts are less effective.

One thing I don't get is the gloves. I think they are just about useless. Just wash your damn hands.
They are good if you are touching multiple items for protection for yourself. Also, if you are hand sanitizing/washing often in an outing then sanitizing your rubber gloves is less harsh on your hands.

The recommendation is that you wash your hands well before putting the gloves or mask on, just before you are taking off the mask, and immediately after is the proper procedure. I also sanitizer my vehicle when I first get in, the shopping cart, and when I have been touching items. Hand sanitizing your gloves is a lot easier. It is a pain though.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Taiwan has the lowest cases and deaths of any country and implemented a rationing system that allocated citizens two masks a week. So it seems like wearing a mask is a good idea to help them control the outbreak.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not all N95 masks are the same. I tried donating the few that I have, but was told they wouldn't take them. So I'll use them myself. Some are not 'medical' N95. I believe the 8210 you have is.

1 - 20 of 285 Posts