Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
one can purchase canadian stocks on toronto & journal them over to US account in order to capture the primary USD dividends without any exchange fee from transfer agents, or to support the margin position of short USD options on that same stock;

or

one can purchase canadian stocks on US exchanges & keep them in USD accounts for the above reasons;

and

all will be well. There will be no withholding whether margin, cash or registered account. Furthermore, T5 tax slips will render the correct grossed-up dividend figures & the correct dividend tax credits. The only slight catch is that these T5s will be in US dollars, so the investor has to convert the currency for his canadian tax return.

this has been my experience.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
all will be well. There will be no withholding whether margin, cash or registered account. Furthermore, T5 tax slips will render the correct grossed-up dividend figures & the correct dividend tax credits. The only slight catch is that these T5s will be in US dollars, so the investor has to convert the currency for his canadian tax return.

this has been my experience.
I was stumped by this question. Thanks for clarifying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts