Canadian Money Forum banner

381 - 384 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
12,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Nobody is forcing people to work for unionized companies. If they don't want to there are plenty of people who would happily take their place.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Also it should be as easy to decertify a union as it is to certify one.
As it is, the union leadership has it really good, and they arguably some of the most corrupt "governments" in the country.
There is a reason they don't want their finances public.
When I was a local union president president, my salary was exactly what a 2nd class mechanic would get. I was not paid the highest pay scale, that was for a 1st class mechanic,
I got paid the 2nd highest pay rate in the company contract,

If I attended a meeting and had some union members with me, everybody got paid 2nd class pay rate because we were all doing union work. The union president did not get paid any more than any other person doing union business.

People only go to union meeting when they need help. When I had an opportunity to give a guy a chance to go to a seminar and all expenses paid, and when I asked for volunteers ..... It was always the same ol' crew or gang who found the time to turn up at meetings. The same ol' crew were there to vote on paying for a seminar.

It looked like favoritism, but it was because very few people turned up.

Only time somebody comes to a union hall is during contract negotiations.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Nobody is forcing people to work for unionized companies. If they don't want to there are plenty of people who would happily take their place.
Actually unions pretty much have a monopoly across many areas of government.

I think there is something morally wrong, for a union to come in and take over your workplace, voiding your contract with your employer, even if you and your coworkers don't want them there.

I'm sure the facists think it's just fine.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The union hall has a sign on the front door and tells you when they are open.

Unionism is a Democracy ...... not a perfect democracy.
Union members can attend any meeting or the members can demand a meeting and demand discussion and a vote in most any situation.
It there is something wrong with a union, it is the fault of the union members. I could not spend a dime unless I got permission from the membership and at a meeting and where my Secretary-Treasurer signed off with the minutes of the meeting where the vote was taken.

When you have a group of workers like the Federal government, ...... if the union was not in place, there are so many workers with same things in common that they all would probably join the same Bridge Club just to network with each other. (Just to get an overview of such a large workplace from fellow workers.) A union is just a Bridge Club.

381 - 384 of 384 Posts