Canadian Money Forum banner

301 - 314 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Question: Should people from the oppressor group tell the oppressed people how to conduct their resistance?

Should Jews tell Palestinians what form their resistance to Israeli oppression should take? During World War II should Germans have directed Jewish, Roma, Slavic resistance in the concentration camps?

Nowadays, should whites be telling Blacks how to resist systemic racism — a racism entrenched by segments (and maintained by a plurality) of White society?
--Kim Petersen, June 24th, 2020--

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
The Pentagon has concerns the police are becoming "militarized" and are going to stop the practice of donating their used equipment to the police forces.

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
What is most concerning is too often these police officers who got caught on video, have lengthy records of disciplinary problems.

Those officers should have been removed through progressive discipline steps a long time ago. It is the fault of the police chiefs and community boards.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Those officers should have been removed through progressive discipline steps a long time ago. It is the fault of the police chiefs and community boards.
Actually, it's the fault of police unions and qualified immunity that protects the officers. The police chiefs and community boards actually have no power when it comes to discipline, so let's put the blame where it really lies.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I've already mentioned the qualified immunity as an example. The point is that the issue isn't at the police chief or community oversight level. It goes higher and police unions play a large role in it. Basically, all these recent firings are going to see the police officers back on the job thanks to pressure by the police unions.

·
Registered
408 Posts

I am a white person, and the topic about racism has always been of interest to me.

I chased that film down that you referenced. I enjoyed it.
I could only find 1 of 3 parts.

Race : The Power Of An Illusion - The Difference Between us
PBS
California Newsreel
Written, Produced and Directed By Christine Herbes-Sommers
Narrated By CCH Pounder
Transcript:
(YouTube Video)

I have a large collection of articles and commentary on this topic, and which I have collected over a 20 year period.
(A single .html page of text)

I also have a collection of Police Brutality articles and commentaries.

I always well remember this particular video.

A Class Divided -The Daring Lesson
Jane Elliott divides her 3rd graders into blue and brown-eyed groups. She tells the blue-eyes they are "the better people in this room," gives them privileges and comments on their superiority all day. The brown eyes must wear collars.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The Unions have almost total control over the city budget and politicians are terrified of a police slowdown and writing fewer parking tickets.
Police unions finance Pro-Law/Order council members.
No first responders should be allowed to form a union.

When the State or the Federal Government imposes cuts to social programs, the police are the first to scream for more money because they know that crime is going to increase in poor areas of the city. They cut social programs and then praise and pay raises for the police to beat people's heads in.

Quite the Class Act, eh?

I am all for unions. I was twice elected local union president. I was a charter member with one local.
But first responders must not be allowed to unionize.
It is very expensive.
Cities are forced to hire enough rank and file civil servants and have them sitting on the sidelines and available just in case a first responder goes on strike.
Corportations pay the average security guard minimum wage.
What is the least amount of money a city can pay to hire a person to beat heads with the billy club?

·
Registered
408 Posts
College Removes Word ‘Freedom’ From ID Cards Because It Reminds Some Students Of ‘Slavery’
Freedom is slavery
A university in Pennsylvania is to remove the word ‘freedom’ from ID cards after a few students created a petition complaining that the word is offensive to minorities because it reminds them of ‘slavery’.
June 25, 2020

·
Registered
12,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
I think a lot of the problems in the US is they don't put vinegar on their fries.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A Country Not Salvageable
As a philosophic emollient one may reflect that all empires and civilizations must end, and ours is. America will remain as a place, a military bastion, a large if declining economic force. It will never again be, even by the low standards of humanity in such things, a relatively free and vigorous society. The world will not again credit its charades of moral leadership. The rot, the tens of thousands of derelict people living on the sidewalks, the looting and fire setting, the censorship, are now visible to the entire earth. Oh well. It was a good thing while it lasted.
By Fred Reed
June 24, 2020
-
90% of police work is .....
Barney Fife
-
5% of police work is ....
Columbo
-
5% of police work is ....
RoboCop
-