Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Liberals aren't far left. NDP is far left. The LPC is currently more left than usual, but typically LPC hews to centre-left (and more centrist than CPC).
I agree that the LPC today is more left than usual.
I think normally they're center left, and we just differ on where "far left" begins.

I actually think the success of Harper, and failure of Scheer was the ability to moderate or pragmatically refocus the more socially conservative voices. Better to get half of what you want than none of it.
I hope O'Toole can do that as well.

Quite honestly I don't care if the CPC or Liberal has more off-centre constitutents, as long as they govern from the middle.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I would not be concerned about Trump running for office again. He may run...but not for office. He, his family, and his businesses are under criminal investigation in several states, including New York. Not to mention creditors who will be magically appearing once he is out of office. This should keep him busy and his reputation further tarnished.

Besides, not certain if one can run for office while one is incarcerated in a state or in a federal prison system. He might be exchanging his made in China striped silk ties for striped prison garb.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
The US military is now guarding the White House and a fence barrier has been erected.

Are they keeping Trump in........or everyone else out ?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
This thread and others like it have been very enlightening to me. If Trump fans amounted to only 1% of the population, and Americans owned no guns, what is there to stop Pelosi and the Democrats from rounding them up, putting them in concentration camps and exterminating them? Now I understand how things got out of hand in Nazi Germany, Kmer Rouge Cambodia, Communist Russia and China, and similar places.
5 years ago there was no such thing as a Trump fan. Today there are millions who would cheerfully exterminate them all because of politics and media hysteria, most of it based on fantasies, falsehoods and baseless accusations

·
Registered
18,986 Posts
This thread and others like it have been very enlightening to me. If Trump fans amounted to only 1% of the population, and Americans owned no guns, what is there to stop Pelosi and the Democrats from rounding them up, putting them in concentration camps and exterminating them? Now I understand how things got out of hand in Nazi Germany, Kmer Rouge Cambodia, Communist Russia and China, and similar places.
5 years ago there was no such thing as a Trump fan. Today there are millions who would cheerfully exterminate them all because of politics and media hysteria, most of it based on fantasies, falsehoods and baseless accusations
Amazing. Where do you get your news, Rusty?

·
Registered
18,986 Posts
From this web site and a few others including Youtube and Google searches. Why do you ask?
I ask because I had never heard anything about Pelosi rounding up people to exterminate them. That seems very unlikely and I have never heard any news or analysis that suggests this kind of thing was possible.

That made me wonder where you had read or heard it.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Why would they round people up into concentration camps and exterminate them? Why haven't Australians been rounded up and exterminated by their government, despite having far fewer guns?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Have you read this thread and others like it? Talking about taking away the civil rights of Trump and his supporters, now Pelosi has begun another impeachment, even though Trump will be out of office in two weeks and impeachment would take months, if she had any evidence of wrong doing, which she doesn't or she would have used it by now. Trump and his fans are being taken off Facebook Twitter and other social media, when they went to Parler that site was shut down completely. Bernie Sanders supporters were talking about putting Trump supporters in gulags and concentration camps once they gained power. This goes way beyond any political rivalry I ever heard of and cannot be justified by facts. It is as if everyone has gone nuts. It is purely a matter of mass hysteria brought on by a 4 year media campaign to discredit Trump and his supporters, who make up nearly half the country. 5 years ago this hysteria did not exist, now it is not even questioned. All thanks to politics and a media campaign. The lesson to me is how easily people are manipulated and for all intents and purposes, driven mad or delusional.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Have you read this thread and others like it? Talking about taking away the civil rights of Trump and his supporters, now Pelosi has begun another impeachment, even though Trump will be out of office in two weeks and impeachment would take months, if she had any evidence of wrong doing, which she doesn't or she would have used it by now. Trump and his fans are being taken off Facebook Twitter and other social media, when they went to Parler that site was shut down completely. Bernie Sanders supporters were talking about putting Trump supporters in gulags and concentration camps once they gained power. This goes way beyond any political rivalry I ever heard of and cannot be justified by facts. It is as if everyone has gone nuts. It is purely a matter of mass hysteria brought on by a 4 year media campaign to discredit Trump and his supporters, who make up nearly half the country. 5 years ago this hysteria did not exist, now it is not even questioned. All thanks to politics and a media campaign. The lesson to me is how easily people are manipulated and for all intents and purposes, driven mad or delusional.
Let me guess. You also believed Obama was going to round people up and put them in FEMA camps. Maybe try hyperventilating a bit less.

I am troubled by the control over the internet held by a small group of powerful tech companies. I have been concerned about it since Wikileaks was strangled from receiving support by payment processors. Unfortunately, these platforms are in a really tough spot. They can be laissez faire with content (except where prohibited by law, like threats, child sex abuse material, etc.) but then they are forced to host content that devalues their platform as a space where most people want to converse. I don't think sites like Parler should be shut down, but does that mean Amazon is obliged to provide them hosting services? Does that mean advertisers are forced to buy ads on that platform, even if it earns them opprobrium from the general public?

Bernie Sanders never said anything about putting people in concentration camps. You claim supports of him said so. I've not seen it, and doubt it came from anyone credible. If you want to play that game, we have Trump supporters on video chanting that they wanted to murder the Vice President after breaking into the building he was standing in.

Trump does not have a right to a Twitter account.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Lost in the discussion is that Trump has been adamant about repealing protection for social media from lawsuits for libel and defamation in the content.

He even vetoed the $740 billion NDAA bill because it didn't include repeal of Section 230. (liability protection for internet companies)

It is clear what he and others want. They want to force the social media to accept any content and then sue them when they do.

Republicans are threatened by social media where citizens can talk about the issues. They want to control it or shut it down.

The Republicans ordered the CEOs to Congress and grilled them for hours. Now it has backfired on them and blew up in their face.

The most vocal Republicans...well known Trumpsters, are now complaining bitterly they have lost many of their "followers".

Yea......a good many of those 75 million Republican voters have moved away from them in disgust.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Let me guess. You also believed Obama was going to round people up and put them in FEMA camps. Maybe try hyperventilating a bit less.

I am troubled by the control over the internet held by a small group of powerful tech companies. I have been concerned about it since Wikileaks was strangled from receiving support by payment processors. Unfortunately, these platforms are in a really tough spot. They can be laissez faire with content (except where prohibited by law, like threats, child sex abuse material, etc.) but then they are forced to host content that devalues their platform as a space where most people want to converse. I don't think sites like Parler should be shut down, but does that mean Amazon is obliged to provide them hosting services? Does that mean advertisers are forced to buy ads on that platform, even if it earns them opprobrium from the general public?

Bernie Sanders never said anything about putting people in concentration camps. You claim supports of him said so. I've not seen it, and doubt it came from anyone credible. If you want to play that game, we have Trump supporters on video chanting that they wanted to murder the Vice President after breaking into the building he was standing in.

Trump does not have a right to a Twitter account.
There were extremists employed as Bernie Sanders campaign staff.

As far as the platforms, yes, they're in a tough spot.
They simultanously want protection from liability as common carriers, but also want to control the information that passes through their servers.

Either they should allow all (legal) content and maintain immunity, or have the power and responsibility of monitoring all their content. Right now they want it both ways.

The not so big issue is that they banned Parler for activities happening on the other systems. I'm sure anyone who tried would easily be able to find at least 98 instances of inappropriate content on any major social network.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Lost in the discussion is that Trump has been complaining for a long time about removing protection from social media from lawsuits for libel and defamation in the content.

He even vetoed the $740 billion NDAA bill because it didn't include repeal of Section 230. (liability protection for internet companies)

It is clear what he and others want. They want to force the social media to accept any content and then sue them when they do.
No either accept all content without liability, or be held liable for the content they do allow.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
They simultanously want protection from liability as common carriers, but also want to control the information that passes through their servers.
I don't think anyone would like those two alternatives better than the status quo.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
I don't think anyone would like those two alternatives better than the status quo.
Many disagree.
They should only be granted immunity if it is in the public interest for them to have it.

I think you're only okay with them having both immunity and the ability to censor viewpoints they disagree with is because you generally align with their views. If you disagreed with them, you'd likely think differently.
The political bias in these companies and their policies is very well documented.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Sorry......but few people have any concerns about being banned from social media for the content they post.

As for the few.......they should examine their need to post such content and will be willing to accept the consequences if they do post it.

Don't complain your wings get burnt if you fly to close to a flame.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Sorry......but few people have any concerns about being banned from social media for the content they post.

As for the few.......they should examine their need to post such content and will be willing to accept the consequences if they do post it.

Don't complain your wings get burnt if you fly to close to a flame.
You're only saying this because you like the guys in power.

·
Registered
18,986 Posts
You're only saying this because you like the guys in power.
This has nothing to do with who is in power. The laws have been consistent on the current matter.

People who carry out terrorist attacks against the country, especially to directly attack the government, need to face criminal consequences. It's just mind boggling to me how many Americans (and even some Canadians) can't comprehend this basic aspect of law & order.

• someone who commits murders, must be caught and tried for murder, and face punishment
  • someone who steals money, must be caught and tried for theft, and face punishment

And similarly

• someone (or groups) who violently attack the government, must be caught and tried for crimes against the state
  • someone who incites violence or organizes those groups (also a crime) must be caught and tried for crimes against the state

Currently, there is a clear group of MAGA supporters and militia members who appear to be guilty of crimes. They obviously have to face those consequences. These are countries of law and order right?

@Rusty O'Toole you understand these people broke the law - right? They committed some very serious offences. Actually, horrendous offences against the country.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts