Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can they at least pass a law, or is there an amendment, or whatever,...to at least BAN him from ever running for elected office again? huh?
tell me there is...

because.....if not.....guess what?......

·
Registered
8 Posts
can they at least pass a law, or is there an amendment, or whatever,...to at least BAN him from ever running for elected office again? huh?
tell me there is...

I read somewhere that if they get this 2nd impeachment passed by the senate before his term is over he will not be allowed to run for office anywhere, ever. I don't think it will happen. Not enough Republican Senators will turn on him. They'll be worried about being punished by trump supporters the next time they're up for re-election.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
He could run but he couldn't win. He couldn't even get nominated. His election in 2016 was a fluke, a combination of circumstances that won't be allowed to happen in 2024.
Don't forget he is 74 years old and has all the money he will ever need. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of him, but I am also sure he won't run for office again.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Another idea being considered is to have a separate vote that would prevent Trump from ever holding office again. That could potentially only need a simple majority vote of 51 senators, unlike impeachment, in which two-thirds of the 100-member Senate must support a conviction.

·
Registered
4,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another idea being considered is to have a separate vote that would prevent Trump from ever holding office again. That could potentially only need a simple majority vote of 51 senators, unlike impeachment, in which two-thirds of the 100-member Senate must support a conviction.
I like this idea.

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
If Trump is impeached by the Senate (highly unlikely) he would lose his Presidential pension, secret service protection, and and the free use of Air Force aircraft.

Nothing much happens under Article 25 except that Trump is removed. He can still run again and keep his ex-Presidential privileges.

If Trump is arrested and convicted, he will spend the rest of his life in prison..........problem solved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
He could run but he couldn't win. He couldn't even get nominated. His election in 2016 was a fluke, a combination of circumstances that won't be allowed to happen in 2024.
Don't forget he is 74 years old and has all the money he will ever need. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of him, but I am also sure he won't run for office again.
3 things:

1. I'm sure there are many republicans that can't stand trump, but they can't stand the idea of having a democrat run government more. Maybe if he's gone for 4 years people will have forgotten how bad it got. Don't underestimate the power of tribal politics.
2. People like Trump will never have "enough" money. If anything he will run solely to appease his bruised ego.
3. Another possibility is that he creates his own party and the right vote is split. We have a similar situation here. We routinely have more non-conservative votes than conservative votes. Splitting that across 3 parties is the only way the CPC ever gets power. (Have the PC/Reform/CPC ever gotten 50%+1 of the vote in the modern era?)

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
3 things:

1. I'm sure there are many republicans that can't stand trump, but they can't stand the idea of having a democrat run government more. Maybe if he's gone for 4 years people will have forgotten how bad it got. Don't underestimate the power of tribal politics.
2. People like Trump will never have "enough" money. If anything he will run solely to appease his bruised ego.
3. Another possibility is that he creates his own party and the right vote is split. We have a similar situation here. We routinely have more non-conservative votes than conservative votes. Splitting that across 3 parties is the only way the CPC ever gets power. (Have the PC/Reform/CPC ever gotten 50%+1 of the vote in the modern era?)
I think Mulroney was the last popular vote majority.

I think a merged NDP/Liberal party would shift even further left, likely enough for some Liberals to splinter off to CPC.
As well some NDP wouldn't be happy and would go Green.

I don't think things are as clear cut as some may think. When politicians start taking voters for granted, that's really bad.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
If Trump is impeached by the Senate (highly unlikely) he would lose his Presidential pension, secret service protection, and and the free use of Air Force aircraft.

Nothing much happens under Article 25 except that Trump is removed. He can still run again and keep his ex-Presidential privileges.

If Trump is arrested and convicted, he will spend the rest of his life in prison..........problem solved.
Not exactly. He has to be impeached and convicted (section 4 article ii). If he resigns as president or his term ends before he is convicted he is still entitled to those benefits.

Remember he was already impeached, as was Bill Clinton. But neither were convicted.

There has to be a removal pursuant to section 4 of Article II of the Constitution for him to lose those benefits - it is not likely to happen in the time left.

·
Registered
14,014 Posts
I don't think any process is clear cut. I have heard Constitutional law experts argue all the possibilities.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
tell me there is...

What are they afraid of?
This would only make sense if you strongly believe 2 things.
1) Trump is so popular he is sure to win in any fair election
2) The Democrats are scared shitless of him, and are willing to pull any dirty trick to thwart the will of the public.

If the Democrats do pull something like this, it amounts to confessing they stole the 2020 election and will stomp democracy into the ground to prevent Trump running again.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Once we get power we will make it illegal for anyone to run against us who has a chance of winning. This is subltly different from Communism that bans any other political party, or Nazism that declares martial law and never has another election, but accomplishes the same goal - a one party dictatorship. As George Orwell put it, imagine a jack boot stamping on a human face - forever.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
If you really believe Sleepy Joe Biden beat Trump in a fair election while snoozing in his basement, how can you believe Trump is a threat against any competent candidate? If he doesn't stand a chance of getting elected or even nominated what is the point of taking away his civil rights, and the rights of the voters, by passing a special law preventing him from running?

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
If you really believe Sleepy Joe Biden beat Trump in a fair election while snoozing in his basement, how can you believe Trump is a threat against any competent candidate? If he doesn't stand a chance of getting elected or even nominated what is the point of taking away his civil rights, and the rights of the voters, by passing a special law preventing him from running?
The crazy lefties actually think that half the country is the most evil and deplorable people to have ever existed.
They're shutting down dialog because they don't even want to understand what their concerns are.

Oh and they don't use logic, that's "white colonialism" or some other nonsense

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think Mulroney was the last popular vote majority.

I think a merged NDP/Liberal party would shift even further left, likely enough for some Liberals to splinter off to CPC.
As well some NDP wouldn't be happy and would go Green.

I don't think things are as clear cut as some may think. When politicians start taking voters for granted, that's really bad.
Oh right. I was 9 years old when mulrooney was first elected so that's ancient history for me lol. You're probably right about votes moving around but I feel like in the last election the liberals lept over the NDP as far as their position on the left/right scale. I guess at the same time the NDP moved more towards center. I think they might have even talked about some fiscal responsibility (unbelievable!)? In the end Turdeau was elected for 2 reasons. Legalize pot and change the election system. NPDers & Greens that voted for him wanted that proportional representation. I had hope but didn't really believe he would fix the broken election system. Proportional rep would have ensured the CPC would never hold the balance of power without a large shift towards center on social issues. If there was an actual federal conservative party that had any sort of progressive social policies I would definitely consider voting for them but they don't exist anymore. Religion has no place in politics and unfortunately religion is the driving force behind many of the CPC policies. There is no good choice for a federal party right now. Only different degrees of bad depending on ones social viewpoint.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Oh right. I was 9 years old when mulrooney was first elected so that's ancient history for me lol. You're probably right about votes moving around but I feel like in the last election the liberals lept over the NDP as far as their position on the left/right scale. I guess at the same time the NDP moved more towards center. I think they might have even talked about some fiscal responsibility (unbelievable!)? In the end Turdeau was elected for 2 reasons. Legalize pot and change the election system. NPDers & Greens that voted for him wanted that proportional representation. I had hope but didn't really believe he would fix the broken election system. Proportional rep would have ensured the CPC would never hold the balance of power without a large shift towards center on social issues. If there was an actual federal conservative party that had any sort of progressive social policies I would definitely consider voting for them but they don't exist anymore. Religion has no place in politics and unfortunately religion is the driving force behind many of the CPC policies. There is no good choice for a federal party right now. Only different degrees of bad depending on ones social viewpoint.
I think it's obvious to everyone that the Liberals are fiscally nuts.

I think proportional representation will not result in what people think it will.
1. The Liberals wont' be in power. They benefit huge from strategic voting and know it. That's why it didn't go forward.
2. It puts even more power in the hands of the party leader
3. The individual MPs will have less power and visibility, low population areas will have less representation.

From there one of two things will happen
I think there will be a lot of smaller fringe parties, like Europe.
Parties will merge into two camps and we'll deal with US style tribalism.

I personally think that the Liberals are corrupt and bad and all sorts of nasty things, however I think the threat of a decent opposition normally keeps them from going way too far. Unfortunately Scheer lost the last election, and the Liberals haven't course corrected yet.
When the Liberals are more centrist they can form a decent government. We just need them to wake up and recenter, or lose an election so they can gain some introspection and get themselves sorted out.

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
The Liberals wont' be in power. They benefit huge from strategic voting and know it. That's why it didn't go forward.
You usually end up with centre-left and centre-right parties that lead coalitions.

I like the idea of MPs representing specific geographical areas, so I prefer models like STV. And because they aren't purely proportional, you tend to get fewer small fringe parties.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
You usually end up with centre-left and centre-right parties that lead coalitions.
Sorry, I meant to say they won't have majorities, or even strong minorities.

Realistically the CPC would split into a Secular and Religious right, and I think the Liberals would split into a more centrist party, and a center left.
there are Liberal true believers, but a lot of their support seems to be ABC.. which is a recipe for failure under PR, or even Ranked ballot.

But yeah, if the Liberals shifted to Center, or even center left, rather than far left I'd be pretty happy.

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
Liberals aren't far left. NDP is far left. The LPC is currently more left than usual, but typically LPC hews to centre-left (and more centrist than CPC). With a more PR system, you might see the LPC not try to cover so much ground, but still need support from the left to govern in a coalition.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts