Canadian Money Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
Interesting tidbit of Canadian history.

William McKenzie King is the longest serving PM in Canadian history at 21 years and 154 days.

Pierre Trudeau is the 3rd longest serving PM at 15 years and 164 days.

Justin Trudeau is the 10th longest serving PM at 5 years and 343 days.

As of today, the Trudeau father/son combination has served 20 years and 507 days.......or 21 years and 155 days by my calculations.

That means that today marks the date the Trudeau family makes history and sets the new record.

Cloud Sky Fireworks Atmosphere World

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
After more than 50 years, Trudeaumania is alive and well. I doubt Trumpism will last anywhere near that long.

Sky White Black Human Style
Smile Shirt Muscle Dress shirt Tie

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
The Trump brand is already in the discount clearance bin.

Textile Font Sleeve Pattern Fashion accessory

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I just don't think the whole MAGA thing should be discounted.

It's a powerful movement of a cult like following, combined with Christian fundamentalism. There is a big religious component to this and it's not going away. Even if Trump croaks, the movement won't be done and those Christian fundamentalists are primed to believe all kinds of wacky stuff. And these fundamentalists can be extremely dangerous.

I don't think Canadians realize this, but many MAGA followers think of Trump as a religious papa figure, almost like a messiah. If you watch the January 6 insurrection footage, you will see the crowd periodically stop and pray.

Smash some furniture ... kick down a door ... stop for a moment and pray ... find a cop and beat him with an American flag and try to kill him ... stop and pray

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I think you found yourself a boogeyman. Trump can scream and yell all he wants. Unless he becomes democratically elected, he won't be a president. It is as simple as that.
Personally, I don't care which way the authoritarianism gets introduced - whether by what Trump did, or by what Hitler and Trudeau did (only one of them successfully).
If it is legal to introduce authoritarianism, than that is not the reason to excuse it, that is the reason to question why and change it.
This entire situation has shown that there are barely any checks and balances in Canada. Luckily there were enough in US.
Time to fix our gaps

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
It looks like you found yourself a boogeyman in Trudeau.

It is pure nonsense to compare the complex machinations involved with a minority government during a pandemic and the rise of Hitler using his violent Nazi organization to threaten and coerce support.

I suggest you do some research on the rise of Hitler. Netflix produced a series on dictators, and the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is a very interesting record of history.

Reactions: fstamand

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
There is very little difference between March 2020 act Trudeau tried to pass but failed, to the act in 1933 that Hitler succeeded in passing.
I have seen enough documentaries, visited enough museums, including in Berlin, and had conversations with my now deceased 102 year old great-grandmother who lived through the beginning of Third Reich to understand the mechanism. There is plenty of parallels. The end goal is most likely different, but the method to rise to power Trudeau and Hitler chose was very similar.

And I don't see a boogeyman in Trudeau. I fear authoritarianism, whoever introduces it and for whatever reason, not any specific person.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I think you found yourself a boogeyman. Trump can scream and yell all he wants. Unless he becomes democratically elected, he won't be a president.
This is a great illustration of conservative denial. You're coming up with wild fantasies about authoritarian rule in Canada (doesn't exist and not even on the table) while, right in front of your eyes, Trump tried to force himself into power, as a non-elected dictator.

And he's still trying to. Right this very moment, assisted by other Republicans. They are working on it as we speak and continuing to say the last election was invalid.

Why don't you quit with the fantasies, and actually pay attention to something happening in plain view? Trump tried to overthrow the government, and the Republicans are aligning with him, and preparing to attempt to overthrow government again. If the election doesn't give them what they want, they will try to seize power using other means.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
This is a great illustration of conservative denial. You're coming up with wild fantasies about authoritarian rule in Canada (doesn't exist and not even on the table) while, right in front of your eyes, Trump tried to force himself into power, as a non-elected dictator.

And he's still trying to. Right this very moment, assisted by other Republicans. They are working on it as we speak and continuing to say the last election was invalid.

Why don't you quit with the fantasies, and actually pay attention to something happening in plain view? Trump tried to overthrow the government, and the Republicans are aligning with him, and preparing to attempt to overthrow government again. If the election doesn't give them what they want, they will try to seize power using other means.
Trump is a wannabe tyrant. I am not denying that.
And those weren't fantasies.
Trudeau tried to become authoritarian in march 2020. You can read the bill yourself. Enabling Act of Canada. Luckily it didn't pass. It isn't a fantasy - it was a horror. It isn't on a table today. It was on a table in march 2020. And luckily looks like following the election he still doesn't have enough support to do that.
Hitler in 1933 did. That's the only difference, and the only thing that saved us from authoritarianism in Canada.
Although Singh's motto is basically 'I don't like it but will vote for it anyway', even he saw authoritarianism in Canada as too much and saved us from it.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
This is a great illustration of conservative denial.
It's not conservative denial, to suggest it is is a smear attempt. Few people in general believe those silly claims.

You're coming up with wild fantasies about authoritarian rule in Canada (doesn't exist and not even on the table) while,
Trudeau made a power grab, it wasn't "authoritarian rule", just an overzealous power grab.

right in front of your eyes, Trump tried to force himself into power, as a non-elected dictator.
Not quite, he tried to squeeze the election to his favour, remember US elections are a mess, lots of politicians and courts skewed the rules and interpretations (and in some cases outright violated the intent if not the letter of the law) to get their results.
He just took it a bit further.

That's a fantasy, please support that there is any work to undermine the votes of the electoral college, they were cast, they were certified. Here are the results.
I am honestly not aware of a single effort to reverse THE election.

If the election doesn't give them what they want, they will try to seize power using other means.
What other means?

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
Trump is in poor health and likely won't be in any physical condition to run for office in 2024.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
That sentence applies to both parties!
Many examples over recent years.
Not at all. In the US, the Democrats have no history of 'seizing power' when they lose an election.

In fact, Gore won the 2000 election and yet he voluntarily conceded the victory to Bush, who turns out, did not actually win the election.

So no, it's absolutely not the same for "both parties". Not sure where you would get this fiction. The Democrats have given up elections that they legitimately won (Gore) whereas the Republicans consistently try to grab victory illegitimately: both George W Bush, and more recently Trump's attempt.

The Republicans are not participating honestly in US elections. Now a long history of this. And it gives conservatism a bad name.

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Interesting that there is no response.
@james4beach
Are you going to show ANY evidence that they're actually trying to overturn the election?

I'm being completely serious, I don't know of a SINGLE legitimate attempt to overturn the election. Not one.
The election is over, all 538 votes were counted and certified.

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
Seriously, you must have missed all the phone calls from Trump to State Republicans imploring them to cancel votes and appoint a slate of electors who wouldn't follow the law. You must have missed the meetings with VP Pence and calls for him to refuse to accept the electoral vote results.

You must not have heard Republican Senator Lindsey Graham making calls to State legislators.

What about the idiotic Trump lawyers Rudy Giuliani and "release the Kraken" Sydney Powell........in court arguing to overturn elections ?

You even missed the Giuliani press conference behind the strip club in a run down strip mall.

What do you think the January 6 capital riot was about ?

Where you been, Mr. Matt ?

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
Comparing Trudeau to Trump is like living on Fantasy Island.........look boss........a plane.

• Haha
Reactions: Beaver101

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Are you going to show ANY evidence that they're actually trying to overturn the election?
You've got to either be trolling or completely disconnected from reality.

Trump intimidated several state officials to try changing the vote result. He directly bullied Georgia to change their results (it's on tape). He also tried to use the DOJ to change the election outcome.

Trump raised the idea of overturning the election result with White House counsel. In the meeting, Trump asked what measures they could use to install him into power. His lawyers told him it was an insanely bad idea. Thankfully the White House counsel did not cooperate with Trump's plans.

Many people in the DOJ quit and many more threatened to quit due to Trump and Republican pressure to weaponize the DOJ to overturn the election.

And still to this day, Trump is saying the election was fraudulent and other Republicans are also calling it a fraud.

So yeah MrMatt, there is tons of evidence that Trump and Republicans were actually trying to overturn the election. And these people are still working towards these efforts, which is why they are so dangerous. If Trump gets back into the White House, it's pretty obvious he will try the same thing, but this time with people who are more cooperative... and if he puts enough of his goons into the DOJ, he might not get the push-back that he did last time.

And then of course, Trump sent the violent MAGA group in a last ditch attempt to stop the election certification, with a physical assault on the Capitol.

Are you really oblivious to all of this?

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
You've got to either be trolling or completely disconnected from reality.

Trump intimidated several state officials to try changing the vote result. He directly bullied Georgia to change their results (it's on tape). He also tried to use the DOJ to change the election outcome.

Trump raised the idea of overturning the election result with White House counsel. In the meeting, Trump asked what measures they could use to install him into power. His lawyers told him it was an insanely bad idea. Thankfully the White House counsel did not cooperate with Trump's plans.

Many people in the DOJ quit and many more threatened to quit due to Trump and Republican pressure to weaponize the DOJ to overturn the election.

And still to this day, Trump is saying the election was fraudulent and other Republicans are also calling it a fraud.

So yeah MrMatt, there is tons of evidence that Trump and Republicans were actually trying to overturn the election. And these people are still working towards these efforts, which is why they are so dangerous. If Trump gets back into the White House, it's pretty obvious he will try the same thing, but this time with people who are more cooperative... and if he puts enough of his goons into the DOJ, he might not get the push-back that he did last time.

And then of course, Trump sent the violent MAGA group in a last ditch attempt to stop the election certification, with a physical assault on the Capitol.

Are you really oblivious to all of this?
Yeah, some of what they WERE doing was bad.

But they're not trying to overturn the election TODAY.
I asked if they're even trying, and you won't provide any references.

Everyone knows there was a lot of questionable activity during the election. But today, the election is final, it's done, and you haven't shown any evidence that anyone is trying to overturn it. That's my entire point. There are no apparent attempts to overturn the election today.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts