Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
It is really interesting phenomena how people don't see how what is happening in US politics is precisely what is happening in Canadians politics. Just replace Trump's name with Trudeau's, change dates, and you have exact same thing.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
What nonsense. But I guess this is becoming a far-right talking point, because @MrMatt says this a lot as well.

Among all western countries (US, Canada, Europe), Trump is the only one who tried to use his goons to overturn the democratic process.
Trump is the only one who tried to install himself into power.
Trump is the only one who tried to declare the elections invalid.

No politician in Canada or Europe has ever done this, in recent decades. That's because we take pride in freedom and democracy.
Not true. Trudeau tried to overturn democratic process March 29, 2020. (I might be off by couple of days, but definitely march 2020)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
He tried to remove voting powers from parliament and unilaterally make decisions in the country.
He wanted to remove voice and vote from representatives democratically elected by their constituents.

If that is not trying to seize power and violation of democracy then what is?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Your rhetoric is completely pointless and completely wrong. There have been authoritarian governments on both sides of the spectrum. It isn't exclusive to far-left or far-right.

Are you disputing the fact that Trudeau tried to strip parliament of its power and introduce authoritarianism in march of 2020? There was literally legislation he introduced to make himself a tyrant. It was on March 23, 2020. Luckily with just 32% of the vote he didn't have enough power to do that.

He didn't try to overthrow the election process. He just tried to ignore election results and strip power from democratically elected representatives.

He went Germany 1930s route, not Trump 2021.
Neither of them are good

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Well now you're introducing political conspiracy theories. Please explain your allegation in detail, and point to reliable sources (reputable news coverage). How did Trudeau try to "introduce authoritarianism" in March? What legislation did he introduce to make himself a tyrant?
Introduced legislation that he can unilaterally, without input or vote from parliament, make any decisions that have to do with revenue or spending of the government (so pretty much any decision) until end of 2022.
That is very definition of authoritarianism

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
He didn't try to strip power.
He tried to get them to grant emergency powers for an extended period during a crisis. Yes it was a power grab, but it wasn't overthrowing parliment.
I am sorry, but that is incredibly naive.
Enabling Act of 1933 was temporary as well
Powers given to Ceasar in Roman empire was supposed to be temporary as well.
Putin has term limits.

Setting up authoritarian state even if the authoritarian claims it is temporary is dangerous as hell

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Trudeaus power grab attempt(s) weren't as far reaching and were much more limited.

Honestly I think he's simply getting bored, and will likely move on anyway.
Total control over government spending and government income? What's left?
You can literally do absolutely everything with that.

I simply have zero-tolerance for authoritarianism. I understand others might have different opinions.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
If the goal is a functional government, then Canada has the best democratic system.

Trudeau is the leader of the Liberal government elected by the people. They have the mandate from the people to make all the decisions.
Both US and Canada had enough functional organizations to stop authoritarian attempts from Trudeau and Trump.
Good on institutions of both countries.

Since you went through education system here I do have to clarify though: there are more than two countries in the world. It doesn't end on US and Canada. There are multiple countries with much superior democracies, in which wannabe tyrants like Trudeau or Trump wouldn't be allowed to even try and introduce authoritarianism.
Look at Switzerland, France for example

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
What in the world are you talking about? Switzerland is much purer democracy. The referendum day is brilliant. It forces majority of issues to be addressed through direct democracy.
If something isn't dealt with, it is precisely because majority of citizens didn't want it to be dealt with! That's the entire idea of democracy.

You are simply a huge fan of tyranny, aren't you? That's why you idolize the corrupt wannabe tyrant we currently have in office? Stalin, Hitler, Mao - they were all very effective and had ability to address all major issues they wanted to without having to worry about getting support of majority of population - you have some sick ideas of democracy.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
This has absolutely nothing to do with seizing power in an illegal or corrupt election process. The legislation of the government was also within the bounds of existing rules; it's allowed.
Yes. The enabling act of 1933 was also legal. Doesn't mean it was good. We don't need anymore tyrants, whether they introduced authoritarianism legally like in 1933 and Trudeau tried in 2020 or illegally through a coup or what Trump tried in 2021.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I think you found yourself a boogeyman. Trump can scream and yell all he wants. Unless he becomes democratically elected, he won't be a president. It is as simple as that.
Personally, I don't care which way the authoritarianism gets introduced - whether by what Trump did, or by what Hitler and Trudeau did (only one of them successfully).
If it is legal to introduce authoritarianism, than that is not the reason to excuse it, that is the reason to question why and change it.
This entire situation has shown that there are barely any checks and balances in Canada. Luckily there were enough in US.
Time to fix our gaps

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
There is very little difference between March 2020 act Trudeau tried to pass but failed, to the act in 1933 that Hitler succeeded in passing.
I have seen enough documentaries, visited enough museums, including in Berlin, and had conversations with my now deceased 102 year old great-grandmother who lived through the beginning of Third Reich to understand the mechanism. There is plenty of parallels. The end goal is most likely different, but the method to rise to power Trudeau and Hitler chose was very similar.

And I don't see a boogeyman in Trudeau. I fear authoritarianism, whoever introduces it and for whatever reason, not any specific person.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
This is a great illustration of conservative denial. You're coming up with wild fantasies about authoritarian rule in Canada (doesn't exist and not even on the table) while, right in front of your eyes, Trump tried to force himself into power, as a non-elected dictator.

And he's still trying to. Right this very moment, assisted by other Republicans. They are working on it as we speak and continuing to say the last election was invalid.

Why don't you quit with the fantasies, and actually pay attention to something happening in plain view? Trump tried to overthrow the government, and the Republicans are aligning with him, and preparing to attempt to overthrow government again. If the election doesn't give them what they want, they will try to seize power using other means.
Trump is a wannabe tyrant. I am not denying that.
And those weren't fantasies.
Trudeau tried to become authoritarian in march 2020. You can read the bill yourself. Enabling Act of Canada. Luckily it didn't pass. It isn't a fantasy - it was a horror. It isn't on a table today. It was on a table in march 2020. And luckily looks like following the election he still doesn't have enough support to do that.
Hitler in 1933 did. That's the only difference, and the only thing that saved us from authoritarianism in Canada.
Although Singh's motto is basically 'I don't like it but will vote for it anyway', even he saw authoritarianism in Canada as too much and saved us from it.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Is that also part of the sophisticated attempt for the coup you keep talking about?
If not then I don't think it belongs on financial forum at all or in this thread.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Stacey Abrams and McAuliffe are Democrats who claim election got stolen.
They are actively encouraging doubt and cynicism among citizens. At the same time, they are trying to revise voting laws for entire country to favor themselves.

Literally every single word you said applies to Democrats as well. Both parties are undermining democracy. Whichever you actually choose to single out and blame, is solely based on your biases.
Republicans will blame Democrats, and Democrats will blame Republicans.
Partisanship and us vs them mentality at its best. Zero critical thinking.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Truck driver who spent less than 10,000$ on a campaign just won a Senate seat in New Jersey against Democratic Senate leader who has been in power since 2004..
People are simply very annoyed about what Democrats are doing.
The election had less to do with Youngkin, it had more to do with Democrats being idiots and overreaching in their thirst for power.
Trying to remove input into children's future and education from parents and putting it in hands of politicians was too much.
Race baiting is no longer viable tactic to win election. People are starting to really see who the real racists are.
Hopefully same happens in Canada

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
There is a whole lot of room between 'nothing wrong was done' and labeling 74mln people as '
right-wing extremist nuts who would stand behind a party which attempts to overthrow the democratically-governed USA', and claiming that 'Trump tried to have Pence killed. Meanwhile, an organized group of Republicans and fake electors engaged in a scheme to illegally seize power.'

The problem is that extremists consider only these options

1 - 20 of 47 Posts