Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trudeau gave $700 million to "approved" media. Now they want to decide what is considered disinformation.

"To continue the fight against disinformation and hate speech, the Government of Canada is harnessing the tools at its disposal to mitigate these actions online, including through the Digital Citizen Initiative, which was launched in 2019. This initiative supports democracy and social cohesion in Canada by promoting an information ecosystem that is trusted, diverse, safe, and free from disinformation and illegal content."

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Trudeau gave $700 million to "approved" media. Now they want to decide what is considered disinformation.

"To continue the fight against disinformation and hate speech, the Government of Canada is harnessing the tools at its disposal to mitigate these actions online, including through the Digital Citizen Initiative, which was launched in 2019. This initiative supports democracy and social cohesion in Canada by promoting an information ecosystem that is trusted, diverse, safe, and free from disinformation and illegal content."

Never mind that he's destroying trust, attacking diversity, and spreading disinformation.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
Good, it is about time. There is no need for disinformation and it only hurts discussion and debate in a democracy.

I don't know how anyone could feel comfortable defending disinformation, illegal content and hate speech.

If people are worried they may get into trouble for what they are saying, maybe they should examine what they are saying.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Good, it is about time. There is no need for disinformation and it only hurts discussion and debate in a democracy.

I don't know how anyone could feel comfortable defending disinformation, illegal content and hate speech.

If people are worried they may get into trouble for what they are saying, maybe they should examine what they are saying.
The problem is who gets to determine what is "disinformation".

For one, we know Trudeau lies and spreads disinformation himself.
I do not want to give him the power to determine what is approved and what is not.

As raised previously, China used "disinformation" laws to silence the people trying to raise warnings of COVID19.
People die when governments censor information they don't want out there.

Also, remember some people think that factual statements should be prosecuted as hate speech.
"It's okay to be white" was deemed "hate speech" by some, it's insane.

I don't want a world where Trudeau and Trump can determine what we're allowed to say, where clear factual statements are criminalized.

These laws aren't really about "disinformation" they're about control.
Hate speech laws aren't about controlling hate, they're about controlling the discussion, and removing the ability to discuss the issue. It's why free speech is so important.

There's a great human rights tribunal case in the UK, where a transwoman wore a shirt saying she was still male.

"Ms Harrison told the tribunal: “The process of having surgery or hormone treatment cannot ultimately transform your sex. Every cell in my body has male chromosomes. I have a prostate. These things cannot be completely deconstructed. It is not possible to be biologically female. But that does not mean I can’t live a fulfilling life being treated as a woman.”"

That's insane, imagine being a transwoman, being hauled before a human rights tribunal, for DARING to claim that you're male. How sharing your own factual, medical, genetic, realtity and identity is a "hate crime" is beyond me.

The funny thing is, people don't care, they LIKE disinformation.
Apparently Trudeau is polling higher, now that he shut down investigations to yet another ethics investigation.
That's the guy you want determining what can and can't be said? The guy with a proven history of lying?
The one who had government officials saying "you don't need masks", and "travel bans don't work" months ago.

I'm glad we had dissenters spread "disinformation", like.
1. There is a pandemic.
2. masks help.
3. Travel bans work.

I agree sags, I don't see how anyone can be comfortable defending disinformation, because by supporting Trudeaus gag laws and bribes, that's EXACTLY what you're doing

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Sags, just a quick question, do you think that in the future disinformation laws will be used to prosecute or silence people like Trudeau and Tam who have spread disinformation on COVID19?

If the laws would not have stopped high profile and influential people like Trudeau and Dr Tam from spreading disinformation on COVID19, what good are they?

I think it's self evident that the real goal is not to stop disinformation. It's to further empower the elites to control the narrative.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
Without using the context of systemic racism as a backdrop....what does the phrase "it's okay to be white" allude to ?

As for Trudeau, Dr. Tam and the other malarky........I think Canadians are well informed and have decided that it isn't important to them.

I think the Conservatives have called for RCMP investigations, inquiries, and resignations a few too many times and Canadians don't listen to them anymore.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Without the context of systemic racism as a backdrop....what sense does the phrase "it's okay to be white" make ?
Of course you won't answer Matt's well thought out posts. As soon as you're confronted with a valid argument you run away or deflect.

Who determines is misinformation and what isn't?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Did any of you read the linked article and its linked initiatives? The Digital Citizen Initiative says that it is creating educational materials to encourage Canadians to think critically and counter misinformation via education.

It says nothing about censoring disinformation.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
Of course you won't answer Matt's well thought out posts. As soon as you're confronted with a valid argument you run away or deflect.

Who determines is misinformation and what isn't?
Society.........not the perpetrators of it.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
Education is important, but in Canada (unlike the US) hate speech is a crime and it should remain as such.

The courts already decide when someone is guilty of hate speech and that possibility is what upsets the purveyors of hate speech so much.

They don't want to be controlled or held accountable for their actions and harbour the ultimate goal of repealing said law.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Did any of you read the linked article and its linked initiatives? The Digital Citizen Initiative says that it is creating educational materials to encourage Canadians to think critically and counter misinformation via education.

It says nothing about censoring disinformation.
Does that surprise you? People who feed on spreading disinformation aren't likely to actually read the articles. Rather than get information from different sources and thinking critically, they'd prefer sticking to their opinions as truth and reject anything that contradicts, or minimizes the importance of their information. In their minds, that's censoring their "truth".

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Does that surprise you? People who feed on spreading disinformation aren't likely to actually read the articles. Rather than get information from different sources and thinking critically, they'd prefer sticking to their opinions as truth and reject anything that contradicts, or minimizes the importance of their information. In their minds, that's censoring their "truth".
My attempt was to educate people who might believe what they're saying rather than thinking critically and digging into the source material. In other words, I was trying to be a good digital citizen. :)

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
"The federal government is considering introducing legislation to make it an offence to knowingly spread misinformation that could harm people", says Privy Council President Dominic LeBlanc.

Quotes from the people who actually put together legislation would seem rather relevant.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
My attempt was to educate people who might believe what they're saying rather than thinking critically and digging into the source material. In other words, I was trying to be a good digital citizen. :)
That is good and the government can do both........educate and prosecute.

·
Registered
17,680 Posts
Good move by the government to educate people about this stuff. In the age of social media, there's a serious problem of disinformation and junky conspiracy theory sources.

This is one of these unfortunate trends that has been bolstered by social media. But it's also encouraged by some political factions; the radicals.

Left unchecked (like it is in the US) these forces can bring an end to democracy and western values entirely.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I get it. I'm just saying that it's a lost cause for some people.

"The federal government is considering introducing legislation to make it an offence to knowingly spread misinformation that could harm people", says Privy Council President Dominic LeBlanc.

Quotes from the people who actually put together legislation would seem rather relevant.
That's nice. So you want to actually point to the legislation? Because there is a key word considering. All I see is this initiative that promotes education and critical thinking.

·
Registered
13,019 Posts
The disinformation has gotten out of hand and is extremely dangerous.

People were getting phone calls, texts and emails telling them not to evacuate from the wildfires in California. People died because they didn't evacuate.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
I get it. I'm just saying that it's a lost cause for some people.

That's nice. So you want to actually point to the legislation? Because there is a key word considering. All I see is this initiative that promotes education and critical thinking.
Interesting, I saw a few million dollars on education, and hundreds of millions in bribes to big media companies.
From a government with a known history of lying and spreading disinformation.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Interesting, I saw a few million dollars on education, and hundreds of millions in bribes to big media companies.
From a government with a known history of lying and spreading disinformation.
And? Where is the legislation that was the concern where you took this quote?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
JT has a lot of nerve ...I hope some of our opposition will stand up & set him straight if parliament ever sits again.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts