Canadian Money Forum banner

901 - 915 of 915 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
This part of the thread is about what kind of message the canadian ambassador delivered to the US national security advisor last wednesday evening. The message that produced donald trump's exemption from steel & aluminum tariffs by the very next morning, only hours later.

what i'm doing here is setting the record straight on how global affairs canada, the canadian embassy in washington & the media work smoothly together. Because i've worked for all 3.

the truly interesting detail is the continental security issue. Like every scribe, i have a "nose for news." I'm a good observer & i'm good at figuring out where interesting new stories are incubating. My nose is telling me that canada has something new up its sleeve in terms of continental security & that the new something, whatever it is, has to do with the arctic region.

of course, all the shipping activity in the northwest passage, all the talk about refurbishing naval & coast guard vessels, about revising canada's ocean transport regulations, about advanced radar systems, about building drone surveillance of canada's entire north ... even a dense personnage ought to be able to see that interesting action is unfolding.

Well, there goes that theory! Tariffs are on again... http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-steel-deadline-1.4685242

So maybe your nose tells us there will be an announcement from J.T. soon about Arctic security to bring Trump "to his knees"?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, there goes that theory! Tariffs are on again... http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-steel-deadline-1.4685242

So maybe your nose tells us there will be an announcement from J.T. soon about Arctic security to bring Trump "to his knees"?

wondering why so many taunts & jeers. Plus your messages upthread conveying your fantasies about how you believe canada conducts bilateral relations with the US are unreal. You're actually trying to fool yourself that ottawa uses Rolodexes, picks random american names out of phone books, hangs around in washington waiting for chance appointments with strangers.

me i'm sticking to the knitting. Continental security is one of many cards that canada has up its sleeve. Canada has strategic northern data which the US craves. Whether their nutbar president understands this or not, his military certainly do.

other cards more appropriate for donald trump's june 1st global tariff emergency were yesterday's announcement by trudeau & freeland that canada will slap stiff countervailing duties on a multitude of US products. As all media noted, the canadian response was not a knee-jerk reaction. It had obviously been carefully worked out by ottawa over the past several months.

europe & asia have launched their own trade tariff wars with the US. Globally this is not going to be a pretty spectacle. IMHO you might do better to attend to the negative effects upon your own retirement savings & investments - not to speak of the negative effects upon your cost of living - instead of crowing & scoffing at canada, in favour of donald trump.

PS would you be so kind as to observe international copyright law. This forbids making any changes to a third party's quoted text. Not even a punctuation point nor a capitalization nor a bold face component can be changed.

modifications & additions must be inserted inside square brackets

all material published in the internet is now considered to be under copyright. It does not need to bear a copyright symbol.

·
Banned
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #903
Is Trudeau scoring tough points by going on US TV and rallying against the Trump Tariffs. I heard today on the radio that Trudeau isn't tough enough and doing this may help to change this view. The radio also said with this and the pipeline decision he may be keeping all his BC seats in the next election.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/u-s-tariffs-canada-insulting-trudeau-1.4689819

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Is Trudeau scoring tough points by going on US TV and rallying against the Trump Tariffs. I heard today on the radio that Trudeau isn't tough enough and doing this may help to change this view. The radio also said with this and the pipeline decision he may be keeping all his BC seats in the next election.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/u-s-tariffs-canada-insulting-trudeau-1.4689819

all countries are rallying against the trump tariffs. They were the flash point.

trudeau isn't looking to score any points. The current liberal direction in canada-US bilateral relations had been planned for months. It's simply backup Plan B, now pulled to the fore because the NAFTA negotiations are failing/have failed.

One could even say Plan B had been hovering in the works as an alternate course of action for years, ever since trump announced his opposition to both NAFTA & NATO during his 2016 campaign for the presidency.

one has to wonder at the stupidity of donald trump's timing though. Whoever heard of beating up all your friends right before the annual G7 anniversary party that's supposed to celebrate how well ya'll doin together?

it's a lucky piece of timing for the G6 & we saw a foretaste in whistler of what to expect in la Malbaie at the end of this week. Until then, speculative forecasts are kind of useless. Trump being who he is ... singapore being the kind of on-again-off-again-now-you-see-it-now-you-don't NK summit meeting it has become ... melania says she's not going to la Malbaie ... it would not surprise me to see trump himself stay home from the G7 to sulk in one of his golf clubs.

·
Registered
938 Posts
wondering why so many taunts & jeers. Plus your messages upthread conveying your fantasies about how you believe canada conducts bilateral relations with the US are unreal. You're actually trying to fool yourself that ottawa uses Rolodexes, picks random american names out of phone books, hangs around in washington waiting for chance appointments with strangers.
Now who's jeering? At the time of the first deferral of the tariff, the media reported that the Canadian gov't had reached out to contacts in the U.S. to make their case. My opinion I was trying to express was, that no matter who you are, you can't just walk in to a government official's office and demand a meeting; that would be downright rude. I believe there is some protocol involved- like maybe make an appointment? I'm assuming there was some scramble to arrange those meetings with whoever was available. I never said anything about random names from a phone book, and I've already explained that "Rolodex" was used as a metaphor.

me i'm sticking to the knitting. Continental security is one of many cards that canada has up its sleeve. Canada has strategic northern data which the US craves. Whether their nutbar president understands this or not, his military certainly do.

other cards more appropriate for donald trump's june 1st global tariff emergency were yesterday's announcement by trudeau & freeland that canada will slap stiff countervailing duties on a multitude of US products. As all media noted, the canadian response was not a knee-jerk reaction. It had obviously been carefully worked out by ottawa over the past several months.

europe & asia have launched their own trade tariff wars with the US. Globally this is not going to be a pretty spectacle. IMHO you might do better to attend to the negative effects upon your own retirement savings & investments - not to speak of the negative effects upon your cost of living - instead of crowing & scoffing at canada, in favour of donald trump.
Yes, that all makes perfect sense, and I agree with that countervailing decision regardless of any economic fallout that I may personally experience. If we didn't retaliate, we would never be able to negotiate any agreement in good faith with the US again. I am most definitely not in favour of Donald Trump. I have always thought of him as an arrogant buffoon, going way back to my time in NYC, long before he came on the national scene. No way I'm crowing in favour of him over Canada; you must be confusing me with someone else.

Up-thread, it seemed to me that you believed that Canada had some kind of 'secret weapon' - and I say 'weapon' not in the literal sense, but figuratively as something powerful to coerce the US into dropping the tariff permanently, based on Arctic security. So I see now you're saying it's "one of many cards that canada has up its sleeve". A much more reasonable argument than I thought you were putting forth previously.

PS would you be so kind as to observe international copyright law. This forbids making any changes to a third party's quoted text. Not even a punctuation point nor a capitalization nor a bold face component can be changed.

all material published in the internet is now considered to be under copyright. It does not need to bear a copyright symbol.
O.K. sorry - good to know, thanks. You will even note that I resisted the temptation to capitalize "Canada" when quoting you; even though my editing software underlined it in red.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Now who's jeering? At the time of the first deferral of the tariff, the media reported that the Canadian gov't had reached out to contacts in the U.S. to make their case. My opinion I was trying to express was, that no matter who you are, you can't just walk in to a government official's office and demand a meeting; that would be downright rude. I believe there is some protocol involved- like maybe make an appointment? I'm assuming there was some scramble to arrange those meetings with whoever was available.

you assumed wrong. Why don't you find out how canada's foreign service works in washington? or in any city anywhere in the world for that matter. It's a precision machine.

in the particular case, former US national security advisor general H.R. mcMaster was an exceptionally close political contact of canadian ambassador to washington david macNaughton. It's my understanding they had dined together with their wives only a couple of evenings previously.

it would have been a nothing for ambassador macNaughton to see security advisor mcMaster in person on an hour's notice or less.

that's how a precision foreign office works .:peach:

i'm left wondering if the rest of your long-drawn-out post is as confused & as ignorant as the above? i inquire merely because i don't wish to waste any time reading flotsam .:peach:

·
Banned
760 Posts
Trudeau is going to lose next year-you can sense the mood of the public-it doesn't matter that the PC leader is an unknown-Ford and Trump are paving the way for the guy and it looks like it will be a slam dunk.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
That was exactly the feeling at the start of the last Federal election. Then we had the niqab debate, the Chris Alexander/Kelly Leitch barbaric practices hotline disgrace/fiasco which turned off a significant amount of Harper's core support and target support over night. And righttfully so. The Party lost every major urban area in Canada except Calgary. Trudeau upped his performance. Bottom line was 154 seats.

Do you think that Harper would have called this election at this time if his advisers thought for a second that this could or would happen? The mid election polling was going so badly for Harper that his team decided to go with the dog whistle barbaric hotline ploy in the hope of solidifying the base. It did the exact opposite for what was subsequently estimated to be about 9 percent of his hard core base. The polling numbers mid election campaign were apparently the exact opposite, or near enough, of the polling numbers at the time the writ was dropped. And they only got worse for Harper's team. Plus they forgot or dismissed how important the late Jim Flaherty had really been in garnering Conservative support in the previous election.

Anything can happen in an election. Current polling means nothing. The only thing that matters is the after hours ballot count.

It is anyone's ball game at this early stage. The other significant difference is the NDP Party. I suspect that they will be hurt big time in the next election. Those votes are up for grabs. Plus, we may have Pharmacare as one of the key election issues. And a few other issues we do not even know about yet. And Scheer has hardly come off well or even at all to date.

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
Canada, the UK, Germany and the Netherlands carried out a successful military operation to rescue Syrian "White Helmets" from an area being overrun by Assad's forces and the Russians.

Russia wanted to interrogate the group members and Assad would likely have killed them, so the countries whisked them out of the country to Jordan.

It is reported that Chrystia Freeland worked tirelessly at the UN on the rescue.

It is a real life example of the competency of the Trudeau government to handle a crisis situation.

Canada will accept 50 of the Syrian families to Canada, which could amount to 250 people or more.

After all the sacrifice these people have made for their own people and others, they should receive a warm welcome to Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/syria-russia-white-helmet-1.4749380

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
Update the CBC story.

It was Israeli military forces who rescued up to 800 people from Syria. Canada was involved but not militarily. The US requested the operation but was not involved.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
thankx for the update ... i'd watched this story unfold a few days ago ... they were the inhabitants from 3 tiny syrian villages situated just under the golan heights, occupied now by israel but seized from syria originally because the Heights are of supreme military importance

in the penultimate chapter i'd seen, the syrian villagers carried white flags as they filed up the heights towards israeli marksmen positioned at the top. The israelis did not fire or threaten in any way; but understandably they initially would not allow the syrians to enter. Very sadly, the syrian villagers then began to trudge back down into their valley, still waving their white flags. They had nowhere else to go. Journalists watching & reporting despatched that it was unlikely the SAF backed by russia would permit them to live more than a few days or even hours.

now we are hearing that all those nations including israel & canada worked heroically together to save them all? as best i can recall there were only about 800 villagers including children. The operation sounds like a miracle. Let it be a harbinger.

·
Banned
3,736 Posts

The copyright symbol hasn't been needed under US law for almost 30 years. Other countries vary wideley. There is no "international copyright law" that I'm aware of, it varies depending on the jurisdiction.

As far as "This FoRBiDS making any cahngis to a terd party's quoted tix."
Uh, no. You could argue that it is an unauthorized derivative work, but if you quote it precisely you can claim violations anyway. Again this depends on the law in force, but it's a common practice to summarize or quote, or paraphrase (or mock) someones statement.
Whether this is actually infringement is a huge issue, it's generally accepted here, however the EU is trying to say that any such commentary is a violation, which most people recognize is a serious problem.

The big problem in the EU is that their law, will likely miss the objective of getting those "Big US Companies" to pay massive taxes to them, and instead effectively break the internet in the EU and make it unusable.

901 - 915 of 915 Posts