Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 915 Posts

·
Banned
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do we see the performance of the Trudeau government just over a year after the election.

On debt we should probably give him a "C-". They will run a deficit 5 billion higher then budgeted in March.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3000667/canada-expected-to-run-bigger-deficit-than-trudeau-budgeted-td-bank/

He doesn't seem to think for himself and just follows the globalist agenda. So on leadership in the world he would probably get a "C-"

On immigration and such I will give him an "F". Refugees are going to be a disaster. Also removing Visa requirements for Mexicans on Dec. 1 could swell our already large homeless ranks. For example the BC government announced 500 million dollars to affordable housing and that money is just enough for one year. We need control of the amount of people coming in and not opening the flood gates.

On climate change he is just following the globalists and would probably get a "C" on this.

On whoever becomes the US president and his handling of Trump I give him a "B" for not getting involved and saying the right things.

There are many other issues like the handling of Canada's illegal drug problems are really going up with the use of Fentanyl. What is Canada to do with its drug problems, maybe call in Duterte from the Philippines. Of course I am kidding. However I think there needs to be an education blitz towards High School kids that can hopefully get through to people before they get there. Of course then there is the problems at home that put them at risk as well.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
So how do we see the performance of the Trudeau government just over a year after the election.

On debt we should probably give him a "C-". They will run a deficit 5 billion higher then budgeted in March.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3000667/canada-expected-to-run-bigger-deficit-than-trudeau-budgeted-td-bank/

He doesn't seem to think for himself and just follows the globalist agenda. So on leadership in the world he would probably get a "C-"

On immigration and such I will give him an "F". Refugees are going to be a disaster. Also removing Visa requirements for Mexicans on Dec. 1 could swell our already large homeless ranks. For example the BC government announced 500 million dollars to affordable housing and that money is just enough for one year. We need control of the amount of people coming in and not opening the flood gates.

On climate change he is just following the globalists and would probably get a "C" on this.

On whoever becomes the US president and his handling of Trump I give him a "B" for not getting involved and saying the right things.

There are many other issues like the handling of Canada's illegal drug problems are really going up with the use of Fentanyl. What is Canada to do with its drug problems, maybe call in Duterte from the Philippines. Of course I am kidding. However I think there needs to be an education blitz towards High School kids that can hopefully get through to people before they get there. Of course then there is the problems at home that put them at risk as well.
I give him a C, he is exactly what I feared, but he hasn't messed with the electoral system yet, he got CETA through.
His total mismanaging of other stuff is to be expected, not screening Syrian refugees (like not a single question according to the FOI requests) is a bit worse than I expected, carbon tax is about where I thought.
I'm also quite impressed that he's actually looking seriously at legal marijuanna, despite his eagerness, and the politics, and previous statements that legallizing it will give them more control, he's realizing that there is a real risk and maybe he shouldn't be rushing into it. It's a key issue for the left, a minor issue for most of the right, and he's still sitting back and taking his time, that actually instills some confidence that he won't mess it up too bad.

·
Banned
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MrMatt I think you got it he is sitting back which keeps his popularity up as sags mentioned. I think all the debt, refugees, immigration, trade deals, climate change and so on will hurt his popularity as these things start to us and become noticeable.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Trudeau gives to much money to war torn countries. Cant really send money to help build up countries when bombs are going off tearing the countries down. We should be refining our own gas & oil so we can be more independent instead of giving money to other countries & immigrants coming into our country helping to make them dependent.

I would like to see Trudeau not waist any money or time or energy on climate change. Get ride of the HST, The HST strengthens the underground economy. Equal laws for everyone, no special treatment, or special funding for first nations.

·
Banned
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First nations are interesting and hard to figure out what to do. We are basically the immigrants but at the same time we brought the advancements and the tech.

Throwing money at them doesn't help them or us as well. No Canadian government has solved this problem.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Well it's only been a year since Trudeau became PM. Maybe it's still a bit early to grade him on a report card?

While some are giving him a C for his efforts across many issues that concern our country,
it's still to early to tell if he will be a good PM, and he has 3 years to go before the next election.

If we give him a "C" for his performance as PM so far, how would we rate Harper after 8 years?
A? B? or even C?
Some things in our society cannot be solved easily, no matter how much money is spent in the attempts
these days. The population has increased and so have the issues which invariably cost more money these days.

Right now he's enjoying his status as PM, flying around to different countries to promote himself and Canada. Whether all this flying around will pay off for us is too soon to tell.

Trudeau, I'm sure will have his hands full dealing with Trump in the New Year...so he might as well enjoy
his "extended honeymoon as PM" while it lasts. I'm sure there will be a lot of arguing and gnashing of teeth in the H of C as time goes on.

Canada has changed a lot in the last 48 years since his father became PM. There is a lot more challenges facing Justin than there was when his father was PM...primarily a global economy, global warming, carbon taxes and other humanitarian issues like the Syrian refugees, which so far aren't causing any concern.

·
Banned
655 Posts
carverman said:
other humanitarian issues like the Syrian refugees, which so far aren't causing any concern.
no "cause for concern"?

Kellie Leitch, pediatric orthopedic surgeon and candidate for the Conservative Party leadership would say they are a "cause for concern".

·
Banned
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
His dad was the same, lots of ideas and then lots of problems and debt as time went on. This is where we are going with Justin except he isn't the character his dad was.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
His dad was the same, lots of ideas and then lots of problems and debt as time went on. This is where we are going with Justin except he isn't the character his dad was.
Well he is a chip off the old block as the saying goes. Time will tell how good his ideas and implementation of them will serve Canada.

Read his book "Common Ground". He does seem to be more of a negotiator than his father was.
Of course, lots of things have changed since the mid 60s when Trudeaumania was the thing that brought Pierre in on a wave of popularity. Population was around 20.7 million then, now its approaching 36 million, with a global
economy causing more jobs lost each year.

Lester Pearson (Lib) was the PM before Trudeau Senior.
Pearson was definitely one of Canada's renowned PM, besides being a Nobel Prize winner, he brought in many changes that Canada needed at the time..except maybe the Bomarc missle program that turned out to be a big flop..but that was more Diefenbakers folly (killing the Avro Arrow prgm and opting for the Bomarc missiles instead because they were cheaper and the Americans didn't likethe fact that the Canadians were developing
a fighter much superior to what they had at the time.

Pearson campaigned during the election promising "60 Days of Decision" and supported the Bomarc surface-to-air missile program. Pearson never had a majority in the Canadian House of Commons, but he brought in many of Canada's major updated social programs, including universal health care, the Canada Pension Plan, and Canada Student Loans, and he instituted a new national flag, the Maple Leaf flag. He also instituted the 40-hour work week, two weeks vacation time, and a new minimum wage.

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
Trudeau has already implemented many of his pledges.

CPP expansion, merge and increase childcare benefits, return OAS to age 65, make changes to EI program, income tax changes, Syrian refugee induction, refocus Canadian military efforts in the middle east, reintroduce Canada to the world and other achievements.

He moves now into the second phase of his tenure in office with justice reform, marijuana legalization, end of life legislation, and other big agenda items.

Thus far, I would give Trudeau an A +. He hasn't made any glaring errors and the majority of voters are satisfied with his leadership.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Trudeau has already implemented many of his pledges.

CPP expansion, merge and increase childcare benefits, return OAS to age 65, make changes to EI program, income tax changes, Syrian refugee induction, refocus Canadian military efforts in the middle east, reintroduce Canada to the world and other achievements.

He moves now into the second phase of his tenure in office with justice reform, marijuana legalization, end of life legislation, and other big agenda items.

Thus far, I would give Trudeau an A +. He hasn't made any glaring errors and the majority of voters are satisfied with his leadership.
... hmmm ... it's funny that you have no issues with this,

High time for Trudeau Liberals to stop cash-for-access: Editorial

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2016/11/22/high-time-for-trudeau-liberals-to-stop-cash-for-access-editoria.html

·
Banned
588 Posts
His dad was the same, lots of ideas and then lots of problems and debt as time went on.
+1
P.E.T. was a prick. But he was a sharp, clever prick and an astute political animal. Jr. is neither

This is where we are going with Justin except he isn't the character his dad was.
Fuddle duddle... :glee:

·
Banned
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Koogie there will never be another P.E.T. he was a prick but was a leader who didn't take sh-t from anyone, I will give him that. He didn't go into Vietnam and stood his ground. I don't think Justin can do these things and will follow Europe and the globalists wherever they take him. Sags an A+ for more debt and bringing trouble to Canada. Also not really a leader able to stand up to others like Europe and willing to sign just about any trade deal the globalists tell him to, no matter if it is good or bad.

SMK he is introducing his pretty face to the world.

Carvernman I don't think we are going to see anything ground breaking like we have seen from our past leaders.

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
... hmmm ... it's funny that you have no issues with this,

High time for Trudeau Liberals to stop cash-for-access: Editorial

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2016/11/22/high-time-for-trudeau-liberals-to-stop-cash-for-access-editoria.html
That the Liberal Party fund raises is no big revelation.

All of the political parties raise funds to administer their party and provide funding for elections.

I would have an issue if the Liberals broke the rules that apply to all of the political parties.

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
Sags an A+ for more debt and bringing trouble to Canada. Also not really a leader able to stand up to others like Europe and willing to sign just about any trade deal the globalists tell him to, no matter if it is good or bad.
Canada doesn't have a debt problem. Our debt to GDP is low and very manageable.

Trudeau has not ratified the TPP. He is astutely waiting to see what the US does. If they sign.....we sign. If they don't sign....we don't sign.

It is astute because as the US is our biggest trading partner we have to include ourselves in any of their trade deals.

Trudeau also wisely stayed out of the US elections because Canada has to deal with whomever they elect.

1 - 20 of 915 Posts