Canadian Money Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
You actually think that reporter ran up to Trudeau on that beach without being checked and searched first? He was probably vetted before he got anywhere near the PM. I'll bet there is security way behind, ahead, and in the trees. You can't see everyone in the frames of the video.
Trudeau famously pays little to no attention to the mainstream news media, so his surfing holiday was likely undisturbed by any of that — save and except a brave Global News crew who tried to question Trudeau on a Tofino beach, and were chased away by taxpayer-funded security goons.

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
It looks like the Liberal CERB and other support programs are paying off for Canada.

Canada created 157,000 jobs. The US with 10 times the population only created 194,000 jobs.

Employment numbers are back where they were before the pandemic.

When the 2021 budget money starts flowing there will be many more good jobs created all over Canada.

And some people think Trudeau should resign ?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Cherry-picking data. Canada is literally in recession. Just had the worst quarter since the beginning of the pandemic.
If you want to praise the government, economy is not where you should be going.
Worst economic performance in past 2 years in entire world.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Cherry-picking data. Canada is literally in recession. Just had the worst quarter since the beginning of the pandemic.
If you want to praise the government, economy is not where you should be going.
Worst economic performance in past 2 years in entire world.
The numbers do not support your comments.

Quite the opposite in fact.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
You actually think that reporter ran up to Trudeau on that beach without being checked and searched first? He was probably vetted before he got anywhere near the PM. I'll bet there is security way behind, ahead, and in the trees. You can't see everyone in the frames of the video.
I think this is fanciful. PPC anti-vaxxers got close enough to Trudeau to pelt him with gravel.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
It looks like the Liberal CERB and other support programs are paying off for Canada.
How, we have insane inflation coming, this will hurt the lower and middle class families HARD.

And some people think Trudeau should resign ?
Absolutely, have you seen how bad of a job he's been doing?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The numbers do not support your comments.

Quite the opposite in fact.

We are last in economic misery index:

We gave our citizens most misery at highest cost:

Worse unemployments than EU, G20, G7, developed economies:

Highest deficit in the world, highest share of government spending in the world

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Unemployment numbers, deficits, and an 'economic misery' are components.

The notion that Canada's performance is the worst in the world is simply incorrect when measured from a GDP/GDP performance and growth perspective.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

The notion that Canada's performance is the worst in the world is simply incorrect when measured from a GDP/GDP performance and growth perspective.
In many ways Canada is doing well.
But I think that these broader economic issues are not the result of the politicians, they can do little to make things better, and much to make them worse.

The massive spending and pending inflation is one way that things will be bad, but to a large extent I think they were required under the circumstances. They should have done it much more intelligently, but something had to be done, and I'm willing to accept some level of errors considering the timeline.

It's the other stuff, sewing so much division and hate, promoting racism, being double faced to indigenous people.
Like really he pretended to really have focus and care with his rash national holiday, but he couldn't even keep his focus for a few months to actually make a stand. Honestly he told First Nations that he'll use them for political points, but doesn't actually care enough to follow up with real action.

I think that's the worst, he's destroying trust in government. For that reason he should be out.

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
How, we have insane inflation coming, this will hurt the lower and middle class families HARD.

Absolutely, have you seen how bad of a job he's been doing?
Yea sure......Trudeau is doing so bad that Canadians punished him by re-electing him for the third time.

I think your problem is that your objectives and policies aren't as progressive as most Canadians. You are stuck in "reformer" conservatism limbo land.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Inflation is not unique to Canada at the moment. Commodity prices are based on world market. Just look at what has happened to oil, coffee, some agro products like canola.

UK is going through very significant inflation and shortages. So is the US.

Canada is part of a world economy. The price of shipping a container from China to North America has gone for a few hundred dollars to $2200/$2500. That will be reflected in prices. Same with oil prices. Everything from production costs to transport to market costs. Demand for appliances is outstripping supply. The shortage of imported components and labor issues has caused domestically assembled appliances and other products to increase in price.

Certainly a country's monetary policy impacts inflation. But really, look what is happening in markets and in other countries around the world. The notion that Canada can control inflation or somehow have less inflation that other nations is a pipe dream.

The big number this winter will be fuel and food. It does not look promising for anyone that is struggling to make ends meet. I filled up with gas at the start of last week. $1.23. Again on the weekend @1.25. I noticed gas was up again to $1.29 at Costco yesterday. Only saving grace is that oil, at it's highest price in 7 years, might help our balance of payments and push the value of our dollar up a little to help offset the cost of imported goods.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Yea sure......Trudeau is doing so bad that Canadians punished him by re-electing him for the third time.

I think your problem is that your objectives and policies aren't as progressive as most Canadians. You are stuck in "reformer" conservatism limbo land.
2/3 of Canadians voted against his party and his approval rating is below 50%.

Yeah I believe in human rights, against racism, You might think it's progressive to deny human rights and be racist, but I think that's progress in the wrong direction.

We should really be working on improving quality of life for Canadians, and ensuring equality and fairness.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
The challenge is that we have four political parties. Not much chance of any party getting to 50 points.

A PM's approval rating may be well below 50 percent at any point in time Sometimes people vote against someone or they vote for the least of two evils. I suspect that this happened in many urban ridings.

I certainly voted for what I believed was the lesser of two evils rather than who I felt confident could provide good Government. And against our local MP.

To me the kind of numbers we had in the recent election are indicative of a poor Government and a very poor, ineffectual Opposition Party.

I believe that they are as bad as each other....just in different ways.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

Well, I consider fact that more Canadians can't find jobs that in pretty much every other developed country, and the fact that we are most miserable because of economy quite an important metric,
We can agree to disagree.
GDP is an interesting thing to look at, but you must understand it.
Let's look at natural resources. They make up 9.2% of Canada's GDP, over half of it from oil.
Now, if oil, lumber, iron prices go up significantly (which they did) then GDP is going to rise significantly.
Not a single new job was created though, not a single Canadian had higher income.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Well, I consider fact that more Canadians can't find jobs that in pretty much every other developed country, and the fact that we are most miserable because of economy quite an important metric,
We can agree to disagree.
GDP is an interesting thing to look at, but you must understand it.
Let's look at natural resources. They make up 9.2% of Canada's GDP, over half of it from oil.
Now, if oil, lumber, iron prices go up significantly (which they did) then GDP is going to rise significantly.
Not a single new job was created though, not a single Canadian had higher income.
Well, RCMP officers just got a very significant increase. Where we live businesses in the hospitality and restaurant business are increasing wages and working conditions because there is far more demand for staff that there is supply. Post covid, people are shunning these public facing occupations.

Post covid we will see nursing salaries increase for the very same reason. There was a shortage pre covid, it will be more significant post covid because of nurses leaving the profession. The even bigger issue is the demographics of nurses today vs. the number of people registering or enrolled in nursing programs.

My daughter and SIL are in the construction business. Northern BC, Ft. Mac, Edmonton, and now Calgary. The biggest challenge they face is hiring skilled and in some instances unskilled people. They are paying more to attract even marginal employees. They have walked from some projects because of staffing issues.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
There are piles of jobs, everyone is hiring.
The people who are unemployed just don't want those jobs.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
There are piles of jobs, everyone is hiring.
The people who are unemployed just don't want those jobs.
... yep, just as the executives don't want those jobs. Post-pandemic (or is it current-pandemic) is gonna to be the era of the Great Resignations.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
... yep, just as the executives don't want those jobs. Post-pandemic (or is it current-pandemic) is gonna to be the era of the Great Resignations.
We're in a bit of an adjustment now.
I think employees are demanding more, and employers will have to offer more. I just hope it doesn't get pushed to making the employers uncompetitive resulting in them going under.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts