Canadian Money Forum banner
41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
I listened to conservative Matt Gurney on Canada Talks, and they were talking about a focus group of Liberal voters after the election.

The people weren't necessary Liberal party members but people who did vote for the Liberals. The question was why they voted as they did.

The overwhelming response was the Liberal $10 a day daycare program. The Conservatives tax break was panned completely by the group.

Also interesting, according a recent poll, the covid pandemic is no longer the number one issue for Canadians. It is now second behind the environment.

People wondering why people vote for the Liberals, the choice clearly comes down to policies.

The gaffes and mistakes of party leaders have minimal impact on voter choices.

It is all about policy and if the rumors are correct the CPC caucus told O'Toole to focus on old right wing policies, they will continue to struggle.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Sure........just let random people walk up behind the PM and his family.

The official residence is also public land. Maybe you think people should be able to wander around inside anytime they feel like it too.

How does the PM security detail know these journalists weren't wackos with guns.......only a few feet from the PM of Canada ?

Aside from if Trudeau should have remained in Ottawa or not, this was clearly a breach of security by the RCMP.

There is no way random people should be allowed to be that close to the PM.

I am sure they are looking over the video footage and expect there will be some changes made.

If not, maybe Canada needs to bring up some US Secret Service agents to give some instructions on how to protect a world leader.
Maybe he checked official schedule and thought Trudeau is holding meetings with indigenous leaders in Ottawa as Canadian people were being told?
Was just really excited to find a dopple-ganger so ran up.

After all, official information given to Canadians was that Trudeau is in Ottawa holding meetings with indigenous leaders

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Sure........just let random people walk up behind the PM and his family.
No, that's why they have security.

The official residence is also public land. Maybe you think people should be able to wander around inside anytime they feel like it too.
There is a difference between open public land, and a government building.

How does the PM security detail know these journalists weren't wackos with guns.......only a few feet from the PM of Canada ?
By doing their jobs, unless they have a reason to believe there is a threat, use of lethal force isn't justified.
You can't just walk around with a gun shooting people saying "I thought they were a wacko with a gun who is going to shoot me".

Aside from if Trudeau should have remained in Ottawa or not, this was clearly a breach of security by the RCMP.
Was he at risk?

There is no way random people should be allowed to be that close to the PM.
Random people, who pose no discernable threat, should be able to travel in a public place without undo harrassment.

If not, maybe Canada needs to bring up some US Secret Service agents to give some instructions on how to protect a world leader.
Yeah, the US style isn't really appropriate.
Remember, there was no threat, there was no weapon, it was simply a private citizen openly travelling on public land.

Maybe the RCMP should have blocked down everything as secure zone, but they didn't.

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
The intruders could have had a gun instead of a cellphone. There was no security between the PM and the intruders.

It was clearly a breach of security protocol that warrants an internal investigation and immediate response.

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
Ontario nuclear plants have private trained and armed security. They have automatic weapons and will use them if necessary.

The Canadian PM should have the same level of security. The media intruders breached the security of the PM.

“Many of the officers engaged in that activity are either ex-law enforcement or military,” notes Paul Nadeau, OPG Vice President of Security & Emergency Services. “The model at our sites incorporate both armed and unarmed officers. An unarmed officer may be operating scanning and search equipment whereas an armed officer would respond to a breach.

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
Yeah let's have an inquiry and waste millions more. Get a grip, this isn't the US.
PM Harper had to hide in a closet when a gunman was loose in Parliament just 7 years ago, before the gunman was shot 31 times.

The RCMP performed a complete review of the Parliament Hill shooting incident.

I remember an intruder banging on PM Jean Chretien's bedroom door inside the official residence. He had a knife and wanted to kill the PM.

Four RCMP Mounties were suspended due to the breach of security at the Chretien residence.

Security for a world leader must be active, robust and capable at all time.........including on a beach in Tofino, BC.

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
The intruders could have had a gun instead of a cellphone. There was no security between the PM and the intruders.

It was clearly a breach of security protocol that warrants an internal investigation and immediate response.
There should have been security.
But again no reason to shoot them for doing something completely legal and appropriate, and not presenting a threat.

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
PM Harper had to hide in a closet when a gunman was loose in Parliament just 7 years ago, before the gunman was shot 31 times.
Because until that incident we basically didn't have much armed security at parliment.

I remember an intruder banging on PM Jean Chretien's bedroom door inside the official residence. He had a knife and wanted to kill the PM.

Four RCMP Mounties were suspended due to the breach of security at the Chretien residence.
Because those officers weren't trained in close protection.
If you don't have officers properly trained, of course you'll have problems.

Oh and you missed the time Joe Clark was punched in the face.

Honestly I think the lack of security for the PM, and other senior politicians is unacceptable.

I think the PM, deputy PM, leader of the opposition, defence minister and maybe a few others should have 24/7 security, and others as required.
That being said, I don't support randomly shooting people who don't pose a threat.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
All the examples you gave were in official government building or a property that is given for a private use.
There is a difference between that and a public beach.

Nuclear plant is also idiotic example.
First, it is private property, not a public land.
Second, damaging nuclear facility will hurt hundreds of thousands people.

There is a difference between private land, government buildings, and a private beach.
Give it a rest. Only investigation here should be why Prime Minister can lie on official schedule.
And it is free - because he is a spoiled prick and Canada has no accountability.
200$ max penalty for corruption of Prime Minister is a damn joke

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
All the examples you gave were in official government building or a property that is given for a private use.
There is a difference between that and a public beach.

Nuclear plant is also idiotic example.
First, it is private property, not a public land.
Second, damaging nuclear facility will hurt hundreds of thousands people.

There is a difference between private land, government buildings, and a private beach.
Give it a rest. Only investigation here should be why Prime Minister can lie on official schedule.
And it is free - because he is a spoiled prick and Canada has no accountability.
200$ max penalty for corruption of Prime Minister is a damn joke
Beaches are typically not private, and in most of Canada you can't actually own the water anyway. I don't know exactly where this person was, but they may or may not have been on private property.
In any case, we dont' have the death penalty for trespass anyway.

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
Security experts have been advising Trudeau to have more security to protect against mobs and stalkers.

Chris Mathers, a retired RCMP officer who served in the protection details of former prime ministers says Trudeau needs to reconsider the political gain of doing such events, because the next time he could face something more dangerous than gravel.

Evan Balgord, the executive director of the Canadian Anti-Hate Network, says it is possible that some of those following Trudeau could be fantasizing about using violence against their perceived enemies.

Balgord says the groups that have been stalking Trudeau's campaign across the country are organized and believe in conspiracy theories around COVID-19 pandemic.

"I am actually a little bit surprised that more precautions haven't been taken by the prime minister's entourage in particular, to try to keep him safe," Balgord said.

"An unstable person in that environment might take it upon themselves to act out on everybody's shared fantasy of killing the prime minister."

·
Registered
336 Posts
Security experts have been advising Trudeau to have more security to protect against mobs and stalkers.

Chris Mathers, a retired RCMP officer who served in the protection details of former prime ministers says Trudeau needs to reconsider the political gain of doing such events, because the next time he could face something more dangerous than gravel.

Evan Balgord, the executive director of the Canadian Anti-Hate Network, says it is possible that some of those following Trudeau could be fantasizing about using violence against their perceived enemies.
Or he could resign.....

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
He likely will in due time. He is setting everything up for Chrystia Freeland to take over.

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·

Balgord says the groups that have been stalking Trudeau's campaign across the country are organized and believe in conspiracy theories around COVID-19 pandemic.

"I am actually a little bit surprised that more precautions haven't been taken by the prime minister's entourage in particular, to try to keep him safe," Balgord said.

"An unstable person in that environment might take it upon themselves to act out on everybody's shared fantasy of killing the prime minister."

I like how you mixed a professional, then switched to an ignorant hatemonger in the same thread. Really you shouldn't be quoting the Canadian "Southern Poverty Law Center" wannabe in a serious discussion.

Anyway, it isn't "Trudeaus Entourage" who sets security practices, it's the RCMP.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Not impressed with RCMP. Chretien was placed in danger more than once when he was supposed to be covered with protection. One in the PM's official residence as noted before. Anther time in Vancouver when he was physically threated...to the point where he reached out and clocked the individual in order to defend himself.

These are incidents that we know about. Just imagine other close calls that a PM, any of them, has had but were not reported for security reasons.

The threats are more real today. Years ago my spouse and I were walking along a street in Quebec City. She nudged me and said words the the effect that isn't that the Premier. Sure enough, it was Rene Levesque walking towards us, no one else in sight, cigarette hanging from the side of his mouth, hair a mess, wearing an old open overcoat. Quite a sight. We said hello then looked around. No protection in sight...though he probably gave his aides and his protection the slip. He seemed very happy.

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
The media could have reported this story without stalking Trudeau and his daughter on the beach.

They are actually walking up to him and asking him questions as he walks. Where the heck is the security ?

·
Registered
153 Posts
You actually think that reporter ran up to Trudeau on that beach without being checked and searched first? He was probably vetted before he got anywhere near the PM. I'll bet there is security way behind, ahead, and in the trees. You can't see everyone in the frames of the video.

·
Registered
16,784 Posts
After a judicial review, the Liberals won another seat in Quebec.

Trudeau becomes the first PM since his father to win the most seats in Quebec in three elections.

The Liberals won 160 seats overall.....3 more than in the 2019 election, but still 10 short of a majority.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts