Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
You can do very effective searches of CMF using google. Open a new google search window and try this:

TRP site:canadianmoneyforum.com

The key thing is that second part with the site: part. You can search for arbitrary strings and this will locate them within CMF. I use it almost every day.
Question is ... if the forum search is going to return nothing for five or six tries of "TRP" when it should be searching the sub-topic - why bother leaving it on the page to waste people's time?

It's nice know that some search capabilities what other forums provide can be used *by leaving* the forum but it seems .... oh, so 1990's or earlier.

Is it really that difficult or costly to have the first search return some data?

Cheers

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
Advanced seems to respond a bit quicker ... but has also return zero results.

Personally - I'd prefer both searches were removed as they have been so useless for so long.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
What I don't understand is how I can visit some obscure, low participation forum, and their software and search capabilities are top notch.

Of the multitude of forums that I am a member, and including every other random forum I have visited in my lifetime, I would rate CMF as the absolute worst.

Why is that?

ltr

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
This is obvious. It's the lack of recognition of that fact that is mind boggling.

ltr
Be careful what you wish for. CANADIANMONEYFORUM.COM is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. of Toronto, You should see the mess they have made of some other forums when they "upgraded" forum software.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
in 2015 vertical scope sold 56% to Torstar. Other reports at the time put the controlling interest percentage that was sold much higher. The VS founder/owner resumably retired.

·
Registered
10,236 Posts
My take is investors have discounted much value to Keystone XL given its soap opera history. It also helps that the AB gov't has made an equity investment and a loan guarantee. TRP shareholders are not nearly as exposed from a 'sunk cost' perspective than when they were solely at risk. Indeed, I would not be surprised if TRP had told the AB gov't that they (and thus shareholders) could no longer bear sole risk in this project and sought something like Ottawa's rescue of TMX as a means to continue. Especially important given a Dem victory in Nov would risk any further investments made in 2020. Hardly tenable to the TRP shareholder.

This could wipe out any material Montana based construction in 2020.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
TRP never really had Keystone priced into future expectations. They have been growing quite well without it. Natural gas, which is a majority of their pipeline business, is in a stronger place than oil pipelines as well. A nice 17% discount to 52 week high still.

·
Registered
10,236 Posts
TRP and Jason Kenney will (should) re-think why they are (will be) spending money this year on construction of the AB segment of Keystone XL, and I think the border crossing segment too. I strongly suspect that had AB not decided to put taxpayer money into the game earlier this year that TRP would have stopped spending shareholder money that will otherwise have to be written off if the project dies.

I would not be surprised if in the next few days (or week) that both TRP and AB will freeze further construction work pending the outcome of the US election. If Biden wins, I think this project is dead and TRP will take a writeoff of sunk costs by mid-2021. A $20 drop in stock price over 5 months is pretty significant notwithstanding some of that is the covid effect. IMO, all the bad news is now priced in.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
TRP had never substantially priced in KXL, in my opinion. All these court cases prove is that pipe in the ground remains extremely valuable because its harder and harder to get any new ones built. I sold out of TRP at $69-70 in March (10%+ below the high) but I think this is probably becoming a good place to get back in.

·
Registered
10,236 Posts
what about a Biden (Dems) victory in Nov?
Biden is not a fan of KXL.
That is already known, but the stock may take a bit of a hit anyway....even if that scenario is already priced in! Those impulsive emotional investors be damned.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I’m surprised that there hasn’t been some conspiracy theories posted about the Saudis funding Keystone interference.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
@doctrine. Interesting article in the G&M today that sounds very much in line with your perspective. Warren Buffett likes pipelines. Maybe you should too

“A lot of these midstream stocks in the U.S. and Canada have really gotten hit – not as much as E&P [exploration and production], but really hit. And this is Warren saying that the businesses are still sound and it is getting harder and harder to build pipelines and transmission assets,” Laura Lau, the chief investment officer at Toronto-based Brompton Funds, said in an interview.​
“I think pipe in the ground is worth more than before because it is so much harder to build,” Ms. Lau added.​

“On the other hand, the transaction offers validation that there are large investors with an interest in high-quality pipeline assets. We expect there will continue to be strategic transactions in the pipeline sector, given the limited ability to grow by developing new infrastructure,” Hinds Howard, infrastructure portfolio manager for CBRE Clarion Securities, said in an e-mail, adding that Canadian pipeline operators will be among the acquirers.​
Mr. Buffett may have set in motion a round of dealmaking that will support the whole pipeline sector – and reward investors.​
I saw an article by a Goldman-Sachs analyst that he expects oil to rally to 66 in 2021.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts