Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I had wanted to start a position in TRP for years but always found the price too high. It wasn't overpriced I just like to find bargains. I am quite content with my initial position started in December of 2018 in the $51 range and 35% return in one year. I don't expect the same return in future years but would be content with modest share price appreciation and the expected dividend increases. Would by more on a pullback.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I guess the next question would be "how much, if any, has already been factored into the current share price?".
I was pretty sure KXL was a no go (or highly unlikely) even under the Obama administration (2015 veto). Trump promised a huge infrastructure bill that never came to be. Continued delays and appeals left me feeling less than optimistic. That being said I still bought some TC energy in the last year as a long term hold. Good or bad KXL's final(?) death under Biden may necessary so that we can move on.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I would agree with Dubmac re: hydrocarbons and even coal will be tough to completely kill if technology develops to make it cost effective and reduce emissions. This technology is being researched and developed but the Trudeau Carbon Tax has put it on hold. I have a bit of a contrarian view on Biden and KXL. Killing jobs during a Covid recovery will not bode well for the President elect who has also put him self forward as labour friendly and infrastructure friendly. Trump had promised a large infrastructure spend that never came to be during his presidency. My suspicion is KXL will continue to sit in purgatory and money or incentives will go to new green initiatives. Moving to greener and cleaner energy is politically appealing in the short term and may even make sense economically in the long term. Like most things people take an either or approach in opinion but rarely in practice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts