Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I would think its the herd believing TRP is worth some $2,553,980,000 more today than yesterday. Efficient market theory and all that lol.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
Yeah, a bit funny for sure.

TRP up about 5% and ENB up about 4%.

Someone must know something about pipelines that I haven't read in the news.

ltr

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I always find situations like that fascinating.

It shows how far out of the real picture the regular investor really is.

Insiders move an entire sector and we just get to sit and watch.

ltr

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I always find situations like that fascinating.

It shows how far out of the real picture the regular investor really is.

Insiders move an entire sector and we just get to sit and watch.

ltr
interesting. nice bounces. who knew!
I tried to find the skinny on why - but no success.
IPL, another pipeline, didn't do anything. so I don't know why ENB & TRP would go up, but not IPL.

·
Registered
968 Posts
TC Energy selling three natural gas power plants to Ontario Power Generation. Source: Globe & Mail this evening. Opinions on how this is likely to effect the stock price if at all?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
They do seem to be offloading a number of assets. The recent Canadian sale of $2.87B, sale of gas systems in USA $1.7B and a pipeline in Alberta for $1.15B and one other. Over $6Billion, I believe. About 9% of number for Property, plant and equipment in balance sheet if all those are C$ (Probably not) , so quite significant if numbers are correct.

Report I read said that they needed capital for other projects in their "pipeline". Not a bad thing if they are investing in projects they think will be more profitable.

·
Registered
10,236 Posts
In total, that is significant but not on an individual deal basis. I'd have to look at the TC website, but my take is TC may be busy investing in southern pipelines?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
In total, that is significant but not on an individual deal basis. I'd have to look at the TC website, but my take is TC may be busy investing in southern pipelines?
This article has a bit more info:
https://thestarphoenix.com/commodities/tc-energy-strikes-a-2-87-billion-gas-plant-deal-with-ontario-power-generation/wcm/bcada3a4-2c05-42ca-b155-e42ffa430657

For example:
TC Energy now says it will sell off a total of $6.3 billion worth of assets in 2019 and use that cash to fund its growth program and “further strengthen its financial position.” The company had $35.8 billion in long-term debt at the end of the first quarter.
Still, he said the company would be using the funds to pay for “near-term” capital projects, which include the construction of the Coastal GasLink Pipeline, connecting gas production in British Columbia with the $40-billion LNG Canada project in Kitimat, B.C.
Long term hold for us in taxable account.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
TC is up something like 33% year to date and recently hit an all-time high. The company is doing well selling legacy assets and investing in new projects with higher returns on equity. As a result their payout ratio is very solid and relatively low ~40-42% (many mid-streamers at 60% or more).

·
Registered
217 Posts
a very long term hold for me....i hope they are reinvesting the proceeds in projects in other countries like Mexico and further in South America...there is no growth in this sector in the Canadian market and the US will never let any Canadian company build energy infrastructure in the US...so the only growth area is Mexico and further south

·
Registered
10,236 Posts
Only the Montana hurdle left.... absent civil disobedience aka DAPP style which may well manifest itself. TRP better start laying pipe Spring of 2020 and get spreads done in both Montana and Nebraska to be sure.

·
Registered
10,236 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts