Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Warning: I'm sorry to post this at night, and I recommend watching the video in they daytime)

I took a moment to watch the US President pay tribute to the 500K who died from COVID. This has been a very tough time for our American friends & relatives. Their per capita rate of death is nearly triple Canada's.

Biden notes that the US death toll from COVID matches the number of Americans killed in World War I, World War II, and Vietnam combined.

Here's the speech on Youtube, and pasted below.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
Don't compare kids who killed in the wars with vegetables who died from Covid. Average age of Covid deaths is 85 years old

·
Registered
19,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Don't compare kids who killed in the wars with vegetables who died from Covid. Average age of Covid deaths is 85 years old
I think an 85 year old is just as valuable as a 20 year old.

But let's talk about younger people then, if you only care about people who aren't "vegetables" as you put it.

There are 55 year olds and 65 year olds, still in the prime of their lives, dying from this. This absolutely is as tragic as young men killed in wars.

There are huge numbers of deaths starting at age 55... these are YOUNG people dying.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
I think an 85 year old is just as valuable as a 20 year old.
I don't.
And as per link you provided 99 people died who didn't have underlying conditions. Do you know how many died from road accidents, homicides or even flu?! And how many people committed suicides because of lockdowns, and what about predicted by health official "tsunami of cancer" as all tests here are down 90%?! And how many people in Caribbean (esp Cuba) gonna die from starvation because trudeau arent allowed us to visit it?!
My mom and especially MIL (both 75 y.o.) now have depression because of lockdown and idk how it's gonna end...
Same for my grown kids

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
^ Some -people are really desperate to get out of this country.

Suggestion: Do a Rod Phillips stint, if you dare. The quarantine hotel is actually quite reasonable at about $300 per night, not the $2 grand as the Feds misquoted/inflated. Mind you'll not be staying at the Ritz-Carlton or even the Hiltons at that price.

Back on topic:

Appropriate gesture of Biden even it's after the facts. All that time wasted with a previous reality-show-spewed "POTUS".

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Average age of Covid deaths is 85 years old
You only look at death rate, which is wrong. You should look at hospitalization rate instead.

When people gets infected, some of them needs to be hospitalized because they could die, even if they are young. When someone gets infected, there's a probability they will need hospitalization and that means they'll take the room that another person would've needed.

In the US, more than 1 person on 1000 in their 30s needed hospitalization. That means all those young people who didn't care about getting infected because the death rate for their age group was low still needed hospitalization and other people died because of this.

Would you like to see your 25 year-old child die because it needed a surgery but all the rooms were taken to hospitalize people in their 30s that got infected because they didn't care since they are young and healthy?

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I mentioned, on the thread about vaccinating prison inmates, that once we start down the road in determining whose life is more important then someone else's, we are indeed heading down a dark road. In each case there may be compelling reasons to discount one life over another but once we start down that road, it gets difficult to stop.

Eventually you start to wonder if the guy in front of you, driving slowly on the highway, is a life worth having in this world. This type of discussion will inevitably get around to your own life.

Gibor, I am pretty sure if we had a vote right now, you would not be getting a lot of thumbs up, although I do respect a person who speaks his mind, when they know most won't agree. From what I have seen on these boards and definitely in the general public, it is rare.

·
Registered
173 Posts
No offense but what about all the people who were killed or displaced by US military around the world.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
Gibor, I am pretty sure if we had a vote right now, you would not be getting a lot of thumbs up, although I do respect a person who speaks his mind, when they know most won't agree. From what I have seen on these boards and definitely in the general public, it is rare.
This is mentality of most Russians and Israelis ... we are not politically correct and no hypocrites :)

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
This is mentality of most Russians and Israelis ... we are not politically correct and no hypocrites :)
... :eek: .. re post #4. I gather all Canadians are .. too politically correct and a bunch of hypocrites. Duh.

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
It is nice to listen to a President who can form whole sentences and convey a message.

Trump was like a bingo hall ball.......bouncing around all over the place.

And all those "Sir......you are the greatest President since Abraham Lincoln" stories we can live without.

·
Registered
14,342 Posts
Biden has looked razor sharp thus far into his Presidency. His speeches have been extraordinary and well accepted.

But more important....he is getting things done. He isn't hanging out at the golf course and sitting around tweeting all day.

America leads the world again.

·
Registered
19,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mentioned, on the thread about vaccinating prison inmates, that once we start down the road in determining whose life is more important then someone else's, we are indeed heading down a dark road.
Absolutely. I posted this speech because I thought we should show solidarity with Americans, and express sympathy for the half a million people who have died.

I think it's "bad form" to diminish the value of those lives lost. This is a massive death toll and 500K deaths is horrendous. Canada has 21K deaths.

The people who died are citizens and family members. They built our countries... lived from roughly 1940-2020 through massive expansion, and they are, most directly, the people who built and created everything about society and modern life we know of today. Just about everything we younger people enjoy about society and life in Canada/US is thanks to this generation.

And when I get to that age, I hope that my fellow citizens will respect me and recognize my right to live.

Great speech by Biden, and he shows true sympathy. How refreshing to not have a self-centered monster at the helm.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
And when I get to that age, I hope that my fellow citizens will respect me and recognize my right to live. - If you live like vegetable or have dementia it's not a live

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
And when I get to that age, I hope that my fellow citizens will respect me and recognize my right to live. - If you live like vegetable or have dementia it's not a live
That's why we have medical aid in dying.

And those people didn't ask for medical aid in dying so they had a life.

I recall talking with that 80 year-old man so proud of his new acquisition : a sports bike. We went for a ride together.

I recall seeing that 85 year-old man skydiving with me.

And much more.

Not everybody is a vegetable when they get over 80. Many are super healthy and some are even much healthier than you.

If I become a vegetable at 85, I'll ask for medical aid in dying. Otherwise, I'll want to enjoy life like everybody and I'll deserve it.

Many people worked hard throughout their life until 65 or more. They deserve to enjoy every second of what's remaining of their life or until they decide otherwise.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
I recall talking with that 80 year-old man so proud of his new acquisition : a sports bike. We went for a ride together.

I recall seeing that 85 year-old man skydiving with me. -
Those people don't occupy LTC :).
And I agree that living independently seniors should be first to get vaccines (as per article sags posted)

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
If you live like vegetable or have dementia it's not a live
Not all those 500,000 people had dementia but even if we agreed that was a valid criteria, where do we stop. What is the right criteria. What about your 75 year old mother and MIL? Are they in or out? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Gibor, I know what you are trying to say, but you will never be able to describe it well enough that there will not be any exceptions. This is an area where no innocent exceptions can be allowed to fall into. Because of that we pretty much have to save them all.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
What about your 75 year old mother and MIL? - They live independently, not in some LTC and they don't want lockdown ... they want vaccine that our government unable to supply... So far, our government decides who is in and who is out.... and I suppose you don't completely agree with their approach?!
P.S. My original point was that it's stupid to compare US War victims and Covid's one

1 - 20 of 20 Posts