Canadian Money Forum banner

141 - 160 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
where do you stay? Any tips? what time of year is best for weather and price? Planning a trip there in 2021.

I stay on my boat in Ko Olina ...its west about 20 minutes from Oahu...its a secure area of houses, golf course, restaurants & a Disney resort/4 Seasons etc. The resorts are pretty pricey, but I like it as there's 4 nice protected beaches, snorkeling is close at Electric Beach, Costco etc is 4 miles away. You would need a car.

Its never cheap in Hawaii, groceries and wine is expensive compared to the mainland, any edible restaurant will cost. Lots of crummy restaurants that would never be in business on the mainland.

The best weather is during hurricane season...end of May to end of August...less trade wind action , best for golf but surfing is not as good as winter. Winter is the time for surfing/kite boarding and wind surfing though if thats your passion. It seemed to me to be more crowded in summer than winter...being Canadian I would have thought this is backwards.

After this virus thing I think prices will become very competitive once things open up there...they are suffering deeply thru lack of tourism.

If I was to go and stay in rental accommodation I would stay in a BnB or a cooking suite in Lahina on Maui. Best food in Hawaii is in the grocery store.Great town, lots of fun, snorkeling & beginner surf right in walking distance. We have stayed in the Pioneer Inn there...old hotel but huge lānai and great location.

Car rentals are pretty expensive, tourist taxes on rooms & cars is extreme....$50/day is a cheap price there for a rental car. I rented from a rent a wreck type joint...was about $20/day but the car was well...a wreck lol.

Anyway I would bring only about 1/3 the clothes but 3x the spending money than normal. I think the best things about Hawaii for me is that everything (boat parts,sports equipment,good steaks)is readily available, there's no language barrier and flights are cheap & direct.

Having said all that I still put the Gold Coast of Mexico ahead of anywhere else I have been long enough to form an opinion.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Canadians are allowed to return.
Yes and also allowed to depart.

I just took a look to see what would happen if I were hypothetically say, 'I don't care, I want to go hiking in Switzerland next month.' I took a look because I just received an e-mail from a hotel in Switzerland we have stayed with before, telling me they are opening as of the end of May and offering deals. Then I looked at, is Air Canada flying to Zurich which they are and also offering deals.

But then I looked at Switzerland current restrictions on travellers entering the country. Only those who qualify as essential are allowed entry. So I could book a hotel and a flight but I would be refused entry if I got there and probably be refused boarding I would imagine if I turned up at the airport in Toronto.

So it's a kind of weird situation where flights are flying but you can't go anyway. Eder wrote somewhere about flights being listed to Hawaii and he was looking at going back to his boat there. I wonder if the same thing would happen with that. You can book the flight but you can't enter the country if you got there because the USA still has its borders closed to all foreigners just as we do.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I'm assuming since Westjet resumed booking flights June 5th that USA border will be open. From the look of things there's no reason not to open it next month.

I see a new rv pulled in here yesterday...California plates...wonder how they got here?

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
I'm assuming since Westjet resumed booking flights June 5th that USA border will be open. From the look of things there's no reason not to open it next month.

I see a new rv pulled in here yesterday...California plates...wonder how they got here?
My guess is dual citizenship. The only people that can enter Canada right now other than 'essential workers' are Canadian legal residents. So your CA plated RV either has Canadians with a CA registered RV or they are dual citizens who cannot be denied entry.

Assuming because Westjet has flights it means you will be able to fly is just an assumption. As I wrote, there are international flights now but you can't get on them unless you have an acceptable way of ENTERING the country the flight is going to. So I could go hiking next month in Switzerland, IF I had dual citizenship for example.

Being able to book a flight does not mean you will be able to board a flight and we know what happened to all the people who had flights booked in March and wanted to cancel. No refunds.

There is no way I expect OUR border to be open to Americans next month. Whether their border is open to Canadians is up to them but I wouldn't assume it based on Westjet taking bookings.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
For some countries citizenship by itself is meaningless. Many people have dual citizenship. In fact, just about all Canadian citizens not born in Canada have dual citizenship.

It is my understanding that many countries require two things in order to grant entry during these times. Citizenship and proof of residency. These are two very different animals. Proof of residency seemingly being the more important of the two.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
There are still 318 Canadians stuck on 98 cruise ships, along with 80,000 other crew members.

There are 122 cruise ships in U.S. waters with more than 80,000 crew members on board, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Global Affairs Canada told CBC News it's currently tracking 98 cruise ships still at sea carrying an estimated 318 Canadian crew members.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
For some countries citizenship by itself is meaningless. Many people have dual citizenship. In fact, just about all Canadian citizens not born in Canada have dual citizenship.

It is my understanding that many countries require two things in order to grant entry during these times. Citizenship and proof of residency. These are two very different animals. Proof of residency seemingly being the more important of the two.
That's a bit of a tricky one ian. Assuming someone wanted to go somewhere regardless of the virus, I do not know if any country could deny entry to a citizen regardless of any current restrictions they have put in place including residency. You might have to go to court to force them to allow you to enter but you would probably win. Suppose for example a dual citizen were to say, 'I'm moving back to X, let me in.'

Can you provide any links that show 'residency' as being 'the more important of the two' as you believe? I had another look at Switzerland for example and all it talks about is 'returning citizens' or 'other states'. It says nothing about residency whatsoever in regards to Swiss citizens. It does refer under 'other states' to entry being allowed by those who are 'resident' (but not Swiss citizens) being allowed entry.

So either citizenship gets you entry OR residency for a non-citizen gets you entry.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
It is beginning to look more and more like travel to anywhere on vacation is not likely to happen at all this year certainly and who knows for how much longer beyond that. What country is going to open its borders to outside travellers assuming anyone wants to go to start with?

New Zealand is now at ZERO cases. It would be a nice time to go do some hiking there if I could get on a plane without risk of infection, didn't have to quarantine for 2 weeks once I go there. But even if I was willing to deal with that, they don't want us.

I'm also thinking back to an earlier response here about cruise bookings being higher than ever for 2021. It's not a question of why would anyone risk a cruise after seeing what we have seen, it's also a question of how will they get to the departure port if it is not in their own country and where will they cruise to if no one will let them land? LOL

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I have spent some time thinking about where our next three trips will be. This fall, a winter, and next fall. We have a general idea that will always be subject to pricing and availability. All are outside NA but do have back up plans.

One thing we are looking at, besides whether we can get there or enter, is how the country is handling covid. Huge differences between countries. For winter Vietnam has/is doing a first rate job by all accounts. Thailand is the opposite. Australia is excellent but will probably not let us in. Same for NZ. Absolutely no desire to go to the US. Mexico is not great but huge variances between states. The state we would choose Guerrero looks good now but who knows by next month. Panama is excellent but not certain if they will let us in. Have not seen any data yet from Costa Rica on how they are doing. We plan for a two month trip. Not looking very good for the winter. This fall was supposed to be Morocco,and Iberia. Instead, it looks like BC and Alberta touring. Perhaps some Ontario.

·
Registered
16,361 Posts
New Zealand is at zero cases precisely because they don't allow infection-carrying foreigners (like us) into their country.

I'm trying to figure out what's happening in Canada for domestic travel. I need to move to BC. Can I do it? Currently it seems to me that if I set foot in another province, I am facing a 2 week quarantine. Do you think inter provincial travel is going to open up soon?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I thought there was a mandatory quarantine requirement when crossing those borders
I think it's only when crossing international borders. Some areas have more stringent requirements where they don't have large numbers of cases, such as the territories.
Govts are recommending no non-essential travel, but many are ignoring that.

We will likely book a cabin in the okanagan for late Aug. They all have good cancellation policies if that kind of travel is forbidden at that time or something else comes up.
Our provincial campgrounds are open, but only to locals. We have a site booked in Dinosaur park - never been.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Would like to go to my birth place of Newfoundland but it appears that this will not happen based on their current Alert levels and a waiting period of 28 years between each level being changed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
As restrictions ease, I keep hearing that social distancing will need to continue until a vaccine is available or herd immunity is obtained. Sounds like 12-18 months for either.

in the meantime, how is airline travel and mass transit going to work? Will airlines fly planes 1/3 full until 2022? Will mass transit do the same? Has anyone seen what the Toronto subway is normally like? When will borders be opened? Predictions or thoughts on any of this?

I think people are excited about less restrictions but they haven’t given much thought to how these large group activities will not be the same for the foreseeable future.

is it possible that a 24 month travel credit (I’m still fighting with WJ who’s offered 13 months) will not be enough time?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
As restrictions ease, I keep hearing that social distancing will need to continue until a vaccine is available or herd immunity is obtained. Sounds like 12-18 months for either.
Predictions or thoughts on any of this?
My prediction is there will never be an effective vaccine.

Assuming that herd immunity can be attained, what with "social distancing" and "flattening the curve" it will take at least a decade to achieve. Just take a look at the world population (or just look at Canada if you like) and the numbers that we know of that have been infected already. Minuscule. Those puny numbers will hardly bring about herd immunity. So lockdown will be the order of the day for at least 10 years, unless we get sensible and decide to allow nature to take her course. I also predict that will happen because too many will become disenchanted with the effect of lockdown on the economy and on life as we know it in general. Further, I don't believe government can sustain CERB and all the other handouts for a decade or more.

All the present talk about re-opening the economy is just plain silly unless one agrees to a lot more infections. After all, what has changed in the past few weeks to suggest that we can now ease restrictions without feeling the lash? Absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
I have spent some time thinking about where our next three trips will be. This fall, a winter, and next fall. We have a general idea that will always be subject to pricing and availability. All are outside NA but do have back up plans.

One thing we are looking at, besides whether we can get there or enter, is how the country is handling covid. Huge differences between countries. For winter Vietnam has/is doing a first rate job by all accounts. Thailand is the opposite. Australia is excellent but will probably not let us in. Same for NZ. Absolutely no desire to go to the US. Mexico is not great but huge variances between states. The state we would choose Guerrero looks good now but who knows by next month. Panama is excellent but not certain if they will let us in. Have not seen any data yet from Costa Rica on how they are doing. We plan for a two month trip. Not looking very good for the winter. This fall was supposed to be Morocco,and Iberia. Instead, it looks like BC and Alberta touring. Perhaps some Ontario.
Well at the moment, you are not wanted in BC or Alberta ian. Not in Ontario cottage country etc. either. In fact, I don't know of anywhere in Canada that is saying they want to welcome tourists anytime soon.

That may change by this Fall but who knows.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I think it's only when crossing international borders. Some areas have more stringent requirements where they don't have large numbers of cases, such as the territories.
Govts are recommending no non-essential travel, but many are ignoring that.

We will likely book a cabin in the okanagan for late Aug. They all have good cancellation policies if that kind of travel is forbidden at that time or something else comes up.
Our provincial campgrounds are open, but only to locals. We have a site booked in Dinosaur park - never been.
Does travel have to be 'forbidden' or is it enough that BC is saying they don't want you nobleea? Does the fact that some people are 'ignoring' the recommendation regarding non-essential travel, excuse you deciding to do some non-essential travel?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
We have been and it is very enjoyable. Just beware of a sudden Chinook wind. The earth has very sharp shrapnel that gets airborne! I had to protect my children against the sudden wind. All was fine after 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #160

in the meantime, how is airline travel and mass transit going to work? Will airlines fly planes 1/3 full until 2022? Will mass transit do the same? Has anyone seen what the Toronto subway is normally like? When will borders be opened? Predictions or thoughts on any of this?

I think people are excited about less restrictions but they haven’t given much thought to how these large group activities will not be the same for the foreseeable future.

is it possible that a 24 month travel credit (I’m still fighting with WJ who’s offered 13 months) will not be enough time?
LOL, what do you do if you book a flight and then when it comes time to board you find this is the situation.

Back up and say, 'whoa, no way am I getting on that plane. Give me a refund.' Good luck with that.

No airline can make money flying a plane that actually maintains 6 foot distancing. You would only be able to seat say 1 seat in 9 in an ordinary economy class. The fact is that if someone chooses to fly in the foreseeable future, they are going to have to accept the increased risk that will bring with it.

Here you are asking about travel credits. Did you not learn your lesson with WJ? Book fully cancellable/refundable tickets if you really think you must book.

You also missed a BIG issue regarding future travel. What about INSURANCE? No insurer is going to cover Covid19 under their health coverage. So if you go somewhere, develop symptoms, test positive, you will be on your own for healthcare costs wherever you are. You will not be allowed to board a flight back to Canada either.

141 - 160 of 191 Posts