Canadian Money Forum banner

101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
It's interesting to look at this thread from the beginning again m3s. I started it a month ago(I don't like the way this new format does not show the actual start date, just says '1 month ago').

At that time the original discussion was 'to plan to travel or not'. So it encompassed ALL those who planned to travel for March Break for example. Cainvest for one was a big fan of using the government 'travel advisories' to guide your decisions. I was a fan of using common sense and considering the ramifications of the virus taking off everywhere.

The cruise you link to, left on March 7. The WHOLE Diamond Princess debacle played out by the end of FEBRUARY. At that point and the beginning of this thread, who in their right mind would then have got on a cruise ship? Answer, those who had bought and paid and could not cancel and get a refund of their money. So they 'self-justified' their decision to go anyway, often by quoting, 'well the government Travel Advisory doesn't say don't go.' In this specific case, the government did issue a 'no cruise ships' advisory 2 days after the ship left on the cruise.

Now the guy from Ottawa in your link is saying, 'get us the hell off this ship'. Do you see the sense of ENTILEMENT in that statement? As if they have a RIGHT to expect someone else (our government presumably) to correct THEIR stupid decision to get on in the first place. There is no way someone who watched the Diamond Princess debacle unfold in February could try to say getting on a cruise ship in March was a good decision.

As far as I am concerned, anyone who travelled anywhere, by any means, after February made their bed. Now they need to take responsibility for their own decision and live with it. They have no RIGHT to try and put it on others to deal with.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
It's interesting to look at this thread from the beginning again m3s. I started it a month ago(I don't like the way this new format does not show the actual start date, just says '1 month ago').
Feb 11 (found the date if you hover over 1 month ago it will show)

The problem with government advisories is they always lag. If they make advisories for everything people will not take them seriously. That and the cruise industry has financial obligations etc

I agree the government should not have to bail people out of luxury travel

·
Registered
2,717 Posts

So good news, they have been back with relatively few problems. The final port was diverted well in advance so they had ample time to get flights back. They said that the cruise line did a very good job of putting extra precautions in like supervised handwashing, shields, etc.

We had them Self isolate even though it wasn’t a requirement at the time and they just past their 14 day with no symptoms. Because they are older and at risk, I am still telling them to stay home and I will do their grocery shopping.

I think how much things have changed when they made the decision to go has been staggering. It took them a while of understanding that they need to prepare to hanker down to this new norm.

For the people that left in march, I just shake my head. There are still a lot of people still not getting it, or don’t believe how they are a part of the problem or solution. I have been busy on volunteer sites making sure that people u dear stand self isolate means go into your home and don’t come out not for groceries, a walk, medications, anything.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
One thing that I learned early on about travel is that when you are in another country, you are subject to the laws and prevailing conditions of that country. That means you cannot COUNT on anyone but yourself if you get into trouble. But I have witnessed first hand, people THINKING that their own government 'has their back'. The reality is that all too often, no one has your back and no one including the government has any POWER over what is done in another country.

You cannot yell, 'get us out of here' when you are in the back of a pickup truck in some third world African country being taken down a dirt road by some 'soldiers' in rags and with AK-47s in their hands, as I have been. You cannot say, 'well there was no travel advisory against travel in that country, so it's the government's job to solve MY problem.'

Take a simple example of how the real world works in terms of travel. Let's say you are in country X, all is well, no real issues of any kind. Then you go to an ATM and your card won't work. You can't get cash. Then you go to check in to a hotel and when they run your card they tell you, 'your card won't work. The provider will not accept the charge.' Happens quite often actually to travellers. Let's say you have no second card to use, you're stuck. You try phoning the free 800 number to talk to your card provider and they tell you, 'must be a glitch in the system, try again tomorrow, we'll try to get it straightened out for you'.

What do you do then? Let's say you happen to be in a city where there is in fact a Canadian Embassy/Consulate, so you walk there and ask for help. You can't even get a bed for the night, you have no money even for a meal. What do you think the Canadian Embassy will do for you? What I can tell you they will NOT do is give you money.

They will let you make a phone call to family or friends who you can ask to send you money, but the Embassy/Consulate will NOT give you money. You're on your OWN as far as finding a bed for the night unless they happen to be able to tell you where you can get a 'homeless person' bed for example in that country.

The bottom line is that every time someone travels they are responsible for themselves and ALL the consequences that brings with it. This BELIEF that our government is somehow responsible for us is sheer ignorance of the real world.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I am hoping to get to Newfoundland for my usual 2 months to visit with my parents and get some work done on the house ,our hope was to start the process to install solar but no idea if that will happen now.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
One thing that I learned early on about travel is that when you are in another country, you are subject to the laws and prevailing conditions of that country. That means you cannot COUNT on anyone but yourself if you get into trouble. But I have witnessed first hand, people THINKING that their own government 'has their back'. The reality is that all too often, no one has your back and no one including the government has any POWER over what is done in another country.

You cannot yell, 'get us out of here' when you are in the back of a pickup truck in some third world African country being taken down a dirt road by some 'soldiers' in rags and with AK-47s in their hands, as I have been. You cannot say, 'well there was no travel advisory against travel in that country, so it's the government's job to solve MY problem.'

Take a simple example of how the real world works in terms of travel. Let's say you are in country X, all is well, no real issues of any kind. Then you go to an ATM and your card won't work. You can't get cash. Then you go to check in to a hotel and when they run your card they tell you, 'your card won't work. The provider will not accept the charge.' Happens quite often actually to travellers. Let's say you have no second card to use, you're stuck. You try phoning the free 800 number to talk to your card provider and they tell you, 'must be a glitch in the system, try again tomorrow, we'll try to get it straightened out for you'.

What do you do then? Let's say you happen to be in a city where there is in fact a Canadian Embassy/Consulate, so you walk there and ask for help. You can't even get a bed for the night, you have no money even for a meal. What do you think the Canadian Embassy will do for you? What I can tell you they will NOT do is give you money.

They will let you make a phone call to family or friends who you can ask to send you money, but the Embassy/Consulate will NOT give you money. You're on your OWN as far as finding a bed for the night unless they happen to be able to tell you where you can get a 'homeless person' bed for example in that country.

The bottom line is that every time someone travels they are responsible for themselves and ALL the consequences that brings with it. This BELIEF that our government is somehow responsible for us is sheer ignorance of the real world.
When we travel we always carried extra $3000 -$4000 USD cash and never used it in cases like this and I always carry 3 months medication half on me and half in luggage.I am shocked how some travel and have no means to buy a plane ticket back home if a true emergency occurred.As for credit cards between us we have 5 different institutions would pray one will work lol

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
When we travel we always carried extra $3000 -$4000 USD cash and never used it in cases like this and I always carry 3 months medication half on me and half in luggage.I am shocked how some travel and have no means to buy a plane ticket back home if a true emergency occurred.As for credit cards between us we have 5 different institutions would pray one will work lol
I never carry more than a few hundred dollars in cash marina628 and only in CAD. There are actually not that many places in the world where US cash gives anyone an advantage. We carry 6 credit cards and 3 debit cards from 3 different banks. I have never not been able to find a way to get money or pay for something UNLESS it was in a remote area of a third world country. Then yes, carrying a bit more cash may make sense.

The average traveller on the average vacation to the usual suspect places however has no need to go to those extremes.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
We travel mainly in Caribbean and USA money they love there ,when we went to Europe for a Cruise we actually carried USA,GBP and Euros .I am not average nor is my spending habits :)

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
We travel mainly in Caribbean and USA money they love there ,when we went to Europe for a Cruise we actually carried USA,GBP and Euros .I am not average nor is my spending habits :)
Anyone who goes on a cruise is average as are those who vacation in the Carribbean in my view marina628. US cash in some Caribbean islands is of course commonly used and in some cases is actually the national currency. But it is still cheaper to use cards after arrival than to buy cash before your departure.

We vacation in Europe once or twice pretty much every year and I usually buy the equivalent of around $100 CAD in either Euros or Swiss Francs depending on where we will be landing. It's just for a cab to a hotel or a snack on a train etc. during the first day or so. Why any Canadian going to Europe would buy US dollars makes no sense to me. Buying more than a small amount of Euros or GBP also makes no sense to me. There is no difficulty handling funds in Europe.

Buying cash in a foreign currency before you leave home costs more than using your card in another country either to get cash from an ATM using a debit card or pay for a purchase using a credit card. Cards always give you the best exchange rate. So the more cash you buy before leaving home, the more it costs you.

When I was talking about how a card might not work and an Embassy will not help you much, the point was about how people who think the government will bail them out, are incorrect in that belief. It was not a suggestion that someone has to carry a wad of cash just in case. What they need to do is rely on their own ability to take care of an issue. That can be as simple as carrying multiple cards or being able to talk a hotel into letting you stay while you sort out a problem. Not looking to others including our government, to solve their problems.

You're carrying too much cash when you travel it sounds like to me marina628 and buying it before leaving home is also not best practice. But that's a different issue entirely.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
90% of my income is in US Dollars ,I only convert to Canadian to pay the bills here as my savings has been in US for 13 years now.I understand you have not been here as long as I have but by default US cash is what I always have on hand.Cruise ships operate in US even when you go to Europe .I have Euros ,GBP ,Aussie ,US Cad cash in my safe and have for years so it is not like I go and buy in today's rates.I go to conferences usually for work all over the globe 41 countries and counting so it is just my life ....

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I never carry more than a few hundred dollars in cash marina628 and only in CAD. There are actually not that many places in the world where US cash gives anyone an advantage. We carry 6 credit cards and 3 debit cards from 3 different banks. I have never not been able to find a way to get money or pay for something UNLESS it was in a remote area of a third world country. Then yes, carrying a bit more cash may make sense.

The average traveller on the average vacation to the usual suspect places however has no need to go to those extremes.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
As I have said in other threads, I carry larger amounts of emergency cash ALL the time... travelling or not. I carry enough that I can by plane tickets home, plus meals and accommodations for 48 hours. It's a lot of cash when you are travelling with 4. I also have each currency, plus US & Cdn, usually US. That any my spouse and I each have 3 different credit cards and different account. I have had to use every combination of this in my travel life over the years.

I have taken the stance that when I travel I am prepared for as much as I can and though I hope my government will help me, I don't rely on them. Different stances on risk. Friends and family LOVE travelling with us. I have bailed co-travelers out of binds so many times, I don't know they normally travel without me.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Yeah on one trip we ended up giving a stranger from Mississauga $500 cash as their credit card was declined ,they did make good and pay it back a few days after we got home.I leave all jewelry home and nobody really thinks of robbing the poor girl in the wheelchair so I am very comfortable having cash hidden on me lol

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
As I have said in other threads, I carry larger amounts of emergency cash ALL the time... travelling or not. I carry enough that I can by plane tickets home, plus meals and accommodations for 48 hours. It's a lot of cash when you are travelling with 4. I also have each currency, plus US & Cdn, usually US. That any my spouse and I each have 3 different credit cards and different account. I have had to use every combination of this in my travel life over the years.

I have taken the stance that when I travel I am prepared for as much as I can and though I hope my government will help me, I don't rely on them. Different stances on risk. Friends and family LOVE travelling with us. I have bailed co-travelers out of binds so many times, I don't know they normally travel without me.
Wow. Enough cash for plane tickets?? Do the places you go not take any credit cards? For me, having $500 cash or so, plus all the credit and debit cards along and stashed in separate locations, is enough. This one time, though, I went to Argentina and needed to bring $4000 USD cold hard cash, because of their currency control restriction, and then convert to cash pesos on the black market.

For travel plans this year - Still hoping to get back home to Ontario in August with the baby. We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I am hoping to get to Newfoundland for my usual 2 months to visit with my parents and get some work done on the house ,our hope was to start the process to install solar but no idea if that will happen now.
Currently if you travel to NFLD you are required to self isolate for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I look at 'livecam' video of our favourite place in Switzerland for hiking holidays (Davos-Klosters) and see very few people or vehicles on the streets. I don't think there is any chance of our going there in June for a hiking vacation.

I sometimes laugh when I think about all our hiking/backpacking 'vacations'. It has to be one of a few kinds of vacation activity where you push your body physically to its limits as often as not, nearly collapse at the end of a hard day, swear, 'never again' and then go back and do it again next year. Somehow, you forget the hard stuff and only remember the good stuff. Know what I mean?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Wow. Enough cash for plane tickets?? Do the places you go not take any credit cards? For me, having $500 cash or so, plus all the credit and debit cards along and stashed in separate locations, is enough. This one time, though, I went to Argentina and needed to bring $4000 USD cold hard cash, because of their currency control restriction, and then convert to cash pesos on the black market.

For travel plans this year - Still hoping to get back home to Ontario in August with the baby. We'll see I guess.
We goto most places that take credit card. But on more than one occasion the credit card systems were unavailable and Cash was what I Lowe us to escape or get to wear we were going. Since the first time, we always have cash. We don’t don’t use it all but it’s my risk mitigation.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts