Canadian Money Forum banner
841 - 860 of 869 Posts

·
Registered
24,280 Posts
I figured out another thing that's going on, for Air Canada

I previously uploaded a vaccination PDF doc for domestic travel many months ago. Since I did this within my profile, it seems AC remembers the document and is automatically re-using it. When I recently checked in for a US flight, there were attestation questions about vaccination (as @damian13ster mentioned) but I also noticed that my "health documents" are already complete -- it's showing a verified vaccination document, which must be due to my previous upload.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Passenger to Australia hit with $2,400 fine after undeclared McMuffins found in luggage

Well deserved, sang to the tune of the old MCD's commercial .... "you deserve a break today at MCD!!!!... " USCDN$2,400 please ... (y)
We flew into Australia's Gold Coast airport twice pre covid. Once from Malaysia, the second time from Thailand. There were two lines for immigration. The last time we zoomed through in 5 minutes flat. What was an eye opener for us was to see others in the second line having their bags/suitcases opened. We saw stacks of food items, seemed to be meat and produce, confiscated. It seemed that anyone with a large suitcase was sent into this line.

Same for New Zealand. On cruise stops several years ago we were warned repeatedly NOT to take any fruit, vegetables or meat products off the ship. As though we would have reason to do so. They had sniffer dogs checking...not for drugs but for food!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Airbnb Slumps After Bookings Missed Analyst Estimates (msn.com)

Perhaps this will result in lower rates, better options for those planning any trips over the while. I think expectations were very high coming out of the pandemic. The war in Ukraine detered some vacations to Europe. Others site inflation as the primary driver as many expected multiple trips for vacationers in 2022. Some say return to the office sentiment is also a contributing factor. I think that would vary by industry.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
We flew into Australia's Gold Coast airport twice pre covid. Once from Malaysia, the second time from Thailand. There were two lines for immigration. The last time we zoomed through in 5 minutes flat. What was an eye opener for us was to see others in the second line having their bags/suitcases opened. We saw stacks of food items, seemed to be meat and produce, confiscated. It seemed that anyone with a large suitcase was sent into this line.

Same for New Zealand. On cruise stops several years ago we were warned repeatedly NOT to take any fruit, vegetables or meat products off the ship. As though we would have reason to do so. They had sniffer dogs checking...not for drugs but for food!
... I wonder if they're training dogs for Covid-positive (or another infectious disease) travellers as that would be very useful in getting rid of the other requirements? Just a thought ...

·
Registered
24,280 Posts
I recently went through US customs at Vancouver (YVR) and the line was pretty bad, but not terrible. I think it took me about 20 to 25 minutes to get through the queue. When you're trying to catch a flight, that feels like an eternity but actually isn't too long.

I did see several families missing their flights, but the reality is that they had arrived at US Customs too late, e.g. arriving at the customs line as your flight is already boarding. Pandemic or not, you're too late.

The two families I saw miss their flights had been connecting at YVR. Either their connection wasn't long enough to account for security & customs, or their incoming flight was heavily delayed.

The security and US customs lines I saw at YVR seemed within normal, perhaps matching busy travel days in 2018 and 2019.

The US customs booth itself was extremely fast. It couldn't have been longer than 60 seconds. Keep your answers short and simple, obviously.

Additionally, the US does not actually validate your vaccination document. They just make you sign an electronic attestation at check-in. Of course you'd be crazy to lie during that attestation as the US does not fool around, these are federal crimes if you lie in that declaration.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Much more pedestrian out of country jaunt.

Just back from a 2.5 day driving for shopping get away to Buffalo.
150km down the QEW early in the am. 20 minutes tops at queue to cross at Peace Bridge just prior to 8am.

Then breakfast at IHOP to kill time until some shops open at 9am.

Wally World, Target, Burlington Coat, Dollar Stores, craft stores, used book stores, and thrift shops on the north and south ends of town over the course of the next two days.

Filled in arrivecan before departing. Got though our things to do at 1:15pm.

Crossed back across peace bridge and no friction even though we had listed earlier we were coming back about 5pm. .

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
We had a seven hour delay on an Air Transat flight coming home from Faro, Portugal this past June.

In accordance with EU261 regulations, we made a claim with Transat for 600Euro each in compensation.

This week, five weeks after making the claim, Transat sent us a note apologizing for the delay and advising us that the claim was satisfied in full and a cheque was being mailed to us.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Yeah, EU has really good customer protection when it comes to air travel.
My understanding, after reading the regulations, is that they also apply to EU based carriers flying from North America to Europe.

IF our TAP flight to Lisbon/Madeira had been delayed leaving Toronto we would be entitled to claim, depending of course on the reason for the delay.

IF we had been on an Air Canada or Transat flight to an EU country from Canada we would not be entitled to the same compensation schedule.

Bottom line, all things considered, we are much better off from a consumer protection perspective, selecting and being ticketed on a KLM, Lufthansa, TAP, etc EU based, airline for return air to Europe or one way home from Europe rather than a NA based carrier.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
About the same for us. When we visit my spouses family in Ontario during the summer I literally have to go outside to warm up...or put on a light sweater. More like 22/23
... 22/23C=72/73F is the "ideal" to be comfortable. Anything above or below that is either asking for a warm up or a cooling down. That's why I love the spring season and not so much for the other 3.

27C=80.6F to be precise which is good for a warm bath IMO.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Ditto. Mine is at 27C. Outside was as high as 38 today.

I don't want to go below 27. I find that it just feels awful when going in & out, too unnatural.
... I know a friend of a friend who sets the temp in his house at about 65F=18C(?) for about all year round. This is just right for him and his pets. And no, the pets don't wear pjs but he does.

841 - 860 of 869 Posts