Canadian Money Forum banner
821 - 840 of 869 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Yes. US doesn't need anything other than 2 doses. Getting back to Canada is still anal though. Two days ago they had the arrivecan in the system, then checked when boarding, and after landing two agents were checking again - for the third time. The problem? Bunch of people were watching movies on plane on phones so batteries died - quite a commotion and lots of arguing. It is a mess

·
Registered
24,279 Posts
Yes. US doesn't need anything other than 2 doses. Getting back to Canada is still anal though. Two days ago they had the arrivecan in the system, then checked when boarding, and after landing two agents were checking again - for the third time. The problem? Bunch of people were watching movies on plane on phones so batteries died - quite a commotion and lots of arguing. It is a mess
Thanks for the info. But what's so difficult about entry to Canada?

You do ArriveCan and then save the receipt image. I presume a screen shot is enough, right? That's not any more complicated than having your boarding pass or booking reservation on the same phone.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Perhaps we were the exception. I did both our ArriveCAN docs in late June.

It took me a few minutes minutes to do mine a day prior to entry. I thought that it might be a challenge. It took less time to do my spouses submission for her. I initially though that I had missed something because we had read about how onerous the process was. It was not.

Within minutes we got a QR code type response. It was complete. One or two keystrokes and we saved them on our iPads.

Flew into Toronto. We both have Nexus cards. It took us 5-10 minutes to get through immigration/customs. Late at night. Never asked for Arrivacan data. Perhaps it was linked to our respective Canadian passport numbers.

This compared well to the 2.5 hour line to clear immigration in Lisbon five weeks earlier.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Thanks for the info. But what's so difficult about entry to Canada?

You do ArriveCan and then save the receipt image. I presume a screen shot is enough, right? That's not any more complicated than having your boarding pass or booking reservation on the same phone.
Yep, it isn't complicated unless you don't expect it to be checked for the third time and your battery runs out during flight, which was the case for multiple people.

Simply that is not normal. I flew over 10 times this year (for work) and every single flight has different procedure once you land. Its madness

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
We were very lucky; blessed and fluked out this summer flying from Ottawa via Halifax to St. John's. One minor 2 hr delay on the first leg and thats it. No lost luggage everything was good. Now this new tangle with COVID testing will really add to the summer season for travellers. Wow gas is cheap here compared to the $2.15L we were paying down home.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
We were very lucky; blessed and fluked out this summer flying from Ottawa via Halifax to St. John's. One minor 2 hr delay on the first leg and thats it. No lost luggage everything was good. Now this new tangle with COVID testing will really add to the summer season for travellers. Wow gas is cheap here compared to the $2.15L we were paying down home.
Gas was 2.20euro, $2.95 CAD, per litre last month in Portugal. First time that we have not rented a car. So glad we decided to use the rail system instead. Not to mention to high tolls on their roads.

We paid $1.63 last week in Calgary and thought that it was a good price. Sad.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Do you know if a screenshot is enough, once you have this response?
No idea whatsoever. We were not asked about it. Had we been asked we could have produced it in an instant.

We know enough to keep our ipads or phones charged up enough when proof of vaccination, etc. was requested by carriers and by various customs/immigration folks. Same story pre covid where once in a blue moon an immigration agent would ask us for proof that we had an exit flight booked or a local address.

This business about keeping a charged unit to access important electronically stored information required for travel is fairly basic to most travelers and has been for quite some time. Covid or no covid, ArriveCan or no ArriveCan. Not to mention hotel reservation confirmations, airline locator codes, etc.

If you rely on electronically stored travel data instead of hard copy docs then one should have the very basic smarts to keep the unit charged to a point where retrieval is a non issue. If not, don't blame others. Look in the mirror for the real culprit.

·
Registered
24,279 Posts
If you rely on electronically stored travel data instead of hard copy docs then one should have the very basic smarts to keep the unit charged to a point where retrieval is a non issue. If not, don't blame others. Look in the mirror for the real culprit.
Many planes also have power or USB outlets to help you charge your devices.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Many planes also have power or USB outlets to help you charge your devices.
Yep, if people knew that was a requirement then all good. Just make rules and keep them consistent instead of flip-flopping every hour.
You got the tracking app - at least check it once at a single point and be done with it. Or inform people ahead it will be checked 15 times throughout the journey at random points.
Then they can get prepared for it

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
The only time we have been checked on boarding domestic and international flights has been for our covid vaccine certificates Once each flight. And then only by the gate folks because we always do on line check in.

Each time the only thing they wanted to see was the covid QR code-electronic or paper. Just look at it, verify the name to the name on our boarding pass and that it agreed with what we uploaded to our on line check in docs.

Domestic arrivals were as usual, off the plane and away we went.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
The only time we have been checked on boarding domestic and international flights has been for our covid vaccine certificates Once each flight. And then only by the gate folks because we always do on line check in.

Each time the only thing they wanted to see was the covid QR code-electronic or paper. Just look at it, verify the name to the name on our boarding pass and that it agreed with what we uploaded to our on line check in docs.

Domestic flight arrivals, four of them, were as usual, off the plane and away we went as per usual.

We thought the baggage area at Pearson looked backed up with bags. Until we saw what Lisbon looked like. Far worse.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

Domestic arrivals were as usual, off the plane and away we went.
Yep, that was the case in vast majority of cases. For some reason it was different last week, hence the confusion, commotion, and delays

·
Registered
9,666 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Tentatively planning to change planes in either Toronto or a European gateway in mid September. Hopefully traffic will be down a little and airport management will have rectified the majority of issues. Do not really care which as long does not become a trip from hell.

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
We might take the "hassle free European tour" this year, after which we can tell people we traveled to London, Brussels, Dublin, Copenhagen, Seville, Vienna, Paris, Lisbon with a possbile side trip to Hamburg.

Maybe another later trip to one of the world's great natural wonders......Niagara Falls.

Ecoregion Map World Slope Line

·
Registered
24,279 Posts
How is Air Canada check-in for US travel working these days?

Previously, months ago, one could upload the vaccination PDF to the booking. However, I have some upcoming US travel and don't see any place to upload the vaccination document.

Or maybe that step has been moved to the check-in, instead of the previous method where it was uploaded in advance?

821 - 840 of 869 Posts