Canadian Money Forum banner
781 - 800 of 869 Posts

·
Registered
24,281 Posts
We went through immigration at Pearson yesterday. 10:30 PM..we were through in five minutes we have Nexus. Non nexus line was 10 minutes or so at that time. All positions appeared manned.
Wow you still have an active NEXUS card? That's lucky. Mine expired long ago. I have tried to renew it but have to attend an interview... scheduled for September.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Wow you still have an active NEXUS card? That's lucky. Mine expired long ago. I have tried to renew it but have to attend an interview... scheduled for September.
Neither of our Nexus cards worked last night.

We went to the desk and told the agent. He did it manually for us. We did not have to exit the line. I suspect this may be a common occurrence. He asked us the questions, ticked boxes on a yellow form, gave us the form, and we handed this in as we exited the area.

So...if yours does not work do not go back into the regular line. Just approach the agent at the Nexus desk.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Interesting. I've been using mine at Canadian airport security (flashing it) so that's still OK.
It works to get into the line going through security. No issue. It does not work when we used in in the machines at immigration when we entered the country. Tried both cards on two different machines. So...we just went up, told the agents the cards were not being recognized either because of the card or the machine. Agent was first rate, he went though it manually with us. Five minutes later we were on our way. It took another 30 minutes of lining up to get a cab! I recognize that there are issues.

Our experience going through YYC twice and YYZ three times in the past month was that line ups were minimal to non existent. Could be the times of day that we were travelling. In the case of YYC and YYZ for domestic, we did not even need to use our Nexus card because there was no lineup at either nexus or regular. As a matter of fact, my spouse commented that it was much better than our pre covid travel experiences.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Maybe you are on to something with time of day having a greater effect on delays. I am not aware of many having issues with early morning departures but that is just within my own circle. As the day goes on it gets progressively worse. Without an abundance of flights my guess is that any hiccups have a greater impact to when air travel was in full operation. Of course Covid-screening protocols have increased process time. If the majority of people are ignoring check-in guidelines which have been increased for us arrival well in advance that may be part of the delay.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Maybe you are on to something with time of day having a greater effect on delays. I am not aware of many having issues with early morning departures but that is just within my own circle. As the day goes on it gets progressively worse. Without an abundance of flights my guess is that any hiccups have a greater impact to when air travel was in full operation. Of course Covid-screening protocols have increased process time. If the majority of people are ignoring check-in guidelines which have been increased for us arrival well in advance that may be part of the delay.
Could be. We do electronic check in and do not check any bags. We go straight to security,

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
@ian I am of the same mindset as post 787 and 788 for the exact same reasons. Occasionally we will take a later morning departure on return trip depending on where we are and when we will finally get home. Less time in airports the better.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I figured this might happen….

Yes, no surprise.

We have used something similar to enter Australia for the past several years. We pay a fee The US is going this way, as is parts of Europe.

Offsets the cost of security. Last time we we through security/immigration in Australia in five minutes flat.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
A lot of countries have electronic (digital) entry requirement. I suspect the majority of pre-entry customs declarations and passport submission will occur digitally in the near future. Paper submission will likely still exist but the process will discourage most travellers from using the “old” tech.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
^ That would be cool - fingers or retinal scans. Pre-programmed aka pre-recorded. Ie. you're on their database of "eligible traveller" (aka not on the person non-grata or fugitive lists.) Don't even need an "app" or cell-phone there ... feels alot lighter too!

And funny enough, no outcry of invasion of privacy by the so-called freedom fighters.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Yes, no surprise.

We have used something similar to enter Australia for the past several years. We pay a fee The US is going this way, as is parts of Europe.

Offsets the cost of security. Last time we we through security/immigration in Australia in five minutes flat.
You are talking about ESTA. It is a visa - completely different thing.
When foreign tourists come to Canada from abroad, some countries also have to fill an ESTA

·
Registered
24,281 Posts
^ What happens if a person don't use an app or a cellphone? Can't cross the border?
I don't mind things like ArriveCan but a paper version (something you can fill to show border security) absolutely still needs to exist.

Otherwise this creates a huge barrier for seniors and other people who don't use computers. I really hate this requirement that's building up, to use a damned smart phone for everything.

I have several relatives who don't use smartphones and aren't good with computers. Not everyone out there uses computers or smartphones. This forum is obviously a skewed sample since everyone on here uses a computer (duh).

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Decreasing the number of flights will only drive up the costs of air travel. I understand the desire to eliminate the airport congestion and delays but I am pretty well fed up with the whole scene. My neighbour travelled internationally last week and has Nexus. He was truly grateful as he said flying out of Pearson on an early morning was the worst he's ever seen and he is a regular flyer. Security lined up for regular travelers for as far as he could see. He heads out again this weekend and will provide me with an update when he gets back. Fortunately I have not had to go through YYZ and have made every effort not to if at all possible. Delta has already offered free rebookings and incentives for those travelling over the 4th of July weekend. Looks like it will be awhile before the system can handle the demand. It's too bad as I don't believe we are back to prepandemic levels.

781 - 800 of 869 Posts