Canadian Money Forum banner
721 - 740 of 817 Posts

·
Registered
24,069 Posts
Warning! If you're going to the US, check that your medical insurance will cover you for hospital care and treatment related to COVID.

I just phoned the insurer for my credit card's travel insurance. It turns out they exclude healthcare related to COVID including hospital treatment. So I can now answer my earlier question... this is why you should buy something like the Manulife coverage. Insurance is absolutely required. First thing Monday, I'm phoning other insurers to clarify the coverage and buy supplementary travel medical.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Last time we travelled in the fall, there was an option for Covid-only insurance for $/day based on risk. Might be a cheaper option for a young otherwise healthy person?

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Warning! If you're going to the US, check that your medical insurance will cover you for hospital care and treatment related to COVID.

I just phoned the insurer for my credit card's travel insurance. It turns out they exclude healthcare related to COVID including hospital treatment. So I can now answer my earlier question... this is why you should buy something like the Manulife coverage. Insurance is absolutely required. First thing Monday, I'm phoning other insurers to clarify the coverage and buy supplementary travel medical.
... before you do that - check the list of all exclusion clauses, particularly the pre-existing one.

I'm sure snow-birds (of which you are not) got their travel (medical and non) insurance all figured out by now so check their website (CARP?).

·
Registered
19,193 Posts
Long lineups and wait times for passports in our city, and Toronto's Pearson Airport is a disaster zone.

The airlines have been cancelling 10% of their flights, and people are missing connections due to the long delays.

Air travelers best avoid Toronto for awhile. People needing passports or renewals best plan well ahead.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
^ Yup, we don't need their germs either. So when are you planning to leave commie Canada, run by a dictator?

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Why anyone would travel for non-essential reasons is beyond me.
.... either the need to have bragging rights or define "non-essential" for such travellers.

The government is now warning about monkey pox when traveling.
... are you serious? I guess travellers can't sue the government now for "not being warned". LMAO.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
We flew int Pearson on May 24. No issues….we were on the UP express 15 minutes after deplaning. Flew out the next day. Arrived at 8:30PM and we’re through security in 10 minutes. Lisbon customs/immigration was a mess when we arrived. Three hour wait times.

Our friends in the the UK have advised us ti avoid going through LHR or Gatwick if we go to Greece in the fall.

Pearson is not the only airport that is experiencing unacceptable passenger delays at the moment.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
We have decided to put any summer air travel plans on hold due to airport issues. It is not just YYZ that is experiencing problems. Since each airport relies on each other for air crew delays are being experienced everywhere. It does not matter if you are flying domestic or International there is a likelihood you will experience delays if you have a multi-leg flight. My SIL recently made a couple of trips within Canada that did not include YYZ in the last month and had issues (delays, missed connections, baggage) to and from for both trips. Increased travel costs plus the frustration of having your trip waylaid makes holding off the better option for us. We are monitoring weekly but if we do not book something by month end it will mean forfeiting a companion flight. We have accepted that we will likely pay higher fares the longer we wait if we fly before fall. I don't foresee things improving or getting cheaper anytime soon. After many have experienced limited travel during the pandemic it is unlikely we will see demand destruction for holidays any time soon. Already looking at options for winter and it doesn't look promising. These are all first world problems in comparison to what is going on elsewhere in the world.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
It is called living.
Plus, travel helps one not be narrow minded and ignorant - really recommend it
... so when you're gonna to take your own advice/recommendation above?

And don't forget the questions in post #728 referencing the very same comments that came from you.

·
Registered
24,069 Posts
We have decided to put any summer air travel plans on hold due to airport issues. It is not just YYZ that is experiencing problems.
True, and people have to remember that planes travel across the continent... starting their day long before your flight time.

Stick to direct flights whenever possible as there are fewer things that can go wrong. Also, get a seat assignment at the time you purchase the ticket, because as I understand things, a seat assignment makes it far less likely you'll get bumped off a flight.

Honestly, I also find that adjusting my expectations (mental preparation) really helps too. When I go to the airport, I'm expecting a long wait and this alleviates the frustration for me.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I had a couple domestic return flights in the last couple weeks (originating from YYZ) No problems other than a bit longer than usual wait for checked luggage. All flights were full.

·
Registered
898 Posts
We are monitoring weekly but if we do not book something by month end it will mean forfeiting a companion flight. We have accepted that we will likely pay higher fares the longer we wait if we fly before fall. I don't foresee things improving or getting cheaper anytime soon. After many have experienced limited travel during the pandemic it is unlikely we will see demand destruction for holidays any time soon. Already looking at options for winter and it doesn't look promising. These are all first world problems in comparison to what is going on elsewhere in the world.
I can empathize.
We forfeited a companion fare early this year because we flew so little once the pandemic started until the end of last year. We want to travel but trying to find a good fare and are not seeing a lot of deals and don't expect to either. However, we'll probably bite the bullet and try to find something during shoulder season. And yup, definitely first world probs.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Stick to direct flights whenever possible as there are fewer things that can go wrong. Also, get a seat assignment at the time you purchase the ticket, because as I understand things, a seat assignment makes it far less likely you'll get bumped off a flight.
+1. We've also in recent years prepandemic started to not buy the cheapest fare in economy so that we can get a seat assignment. I understand it can be a few more dollars that many people don't want to pay but things just seem to have gone better for me/us be it random or intentional like not getting stuck in the middle seat, being able to swap into exit row during check-in, etc.
I'll add that we sometimes try to book an earlier flight because you're generally less likely to get hit by delays since later flights in the day get the domino effect from delays on earlier legs on that aircraft.

·
Registered
24,069 Posts
+1. We've also in recent years prepandemic started to not buy the cheapest fare in economy so that we can get a seat assignment. I understand it can be a few more dollars that many people don't want to pay but things just seem to have gone better for me/us be it random or intentional like not getting stuck in the middle seat, being able to swap into exit row during check-in, etc.
Good point. I do the same, I would never buy the "basic economy" from either Air Canada or WestJet. I think the terms with Westjet (for lowest economy) is even worse.

But be careful. For a while Air Canada had eliminated "basic economy" but it seems they brought it back within the last year or two. Have to keep an eye out for this when you're booking.

721 - 740 of 817 Posts