Canadian Money Forum banner
561 - 580 of 899 Posts

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
Sounds as though the borders are closing again. Reinstating travel advisories (which may nullify travel insurance). Possible reintroduction of quarantine upon entry for all.

Yes apparently sources have told news agencies that all non essential foreign travel will be discouraged.

As you said, that might mean that travel medical insurance won't protect you in the US, depending on what status is given to the US and other countries.

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
My point was its nice that Covid down here is not much of a topic and life is very much normal. I'm sorry Canada is reinstating various restrictions that affect peoples lives up there and feel lucky to have left that hubris behind before borders are closed again .

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
My point was its nice that Covid down here is not much of a topic and life is very much normal. I'm sorry Canada is reinstating various restrictions that affect peoples lives up there and feel lucky to have left that hubris behind before borders are closed again .
Does that mean there is no covid or they just don't concern themselves about it ?

I am thinking that given the Omicron infection rate, every country is going to get a full dose of infections, sooner or later.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
No doubt there it is not as much as an issue in the US. Covid has been politicized. Too many people listening to politicians and certain faith leaders in preference to following the advice of medical/pandemic experts and scientists.

To date, US covid deaths are running at 2460 per million population. Canada is currently running at 785 covid deaths per million population.

The Canadian deaths per million population attributable to covid has been averaging 30-33 percent of the US number over the past year. There is a reason for that.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
For those avoiding Covid above most other things China would probably be better. Although other than freezing cold there really isn't that much difference between the two countries recently - same values.

Luckily one can still travel to central america to enjoy life!

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
For those avoiding Covid above most other things China would probably be better. Although other than freezing cold there really isn't that much difference between the two countries recently - same values.
I would not put much stock in the numbers from China or those from several other countries.

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
To date, US covid deaths are running at 2460 per million population. Canada is currently running at 785 covid deaths per million population.
In Canada, we've protected our population much better than both the US and Europe. We've been doing quite well through covid with much lower death rates per capita.

America's response to the pandemic has been a total disaster. There's nothing to admire there.

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
Here are some interesting stats released by PHAC

Foreign travellers have to show a negative covid test (PCR) before boarding flights into Canada. But how many infected people are slipping through? This can happen if the test was done improperly or if the person just caught covid recently, since PCR tests can't pick up an infection in the first few days.

The PHAC stats from September - November show that of hundreds of thousands of arrival tests performed:
0.14% of vaccinated travellers were positive
0.63% of not-vaccinated (or not fully vaccinated) travellers were positive

I think these results are very interesting. It shows that the policy for full vaccination + testing before departure was extremely effective. Only 0.14% of people turned out to be positive, virtually nil.

It also means that if you're sitting on an international flight where everyone is vaccinated and passed the pre-departure test, basically NOBODY on board has covid. Add the masks on top of that and it seems very unlikely you can catch covid this way.

Hopefully the government continues with the same (vaccination + PCR test) requirement as it seems to do the trick.

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
The math involved in large numbers.

We hear about a flight arriving from somewhere that has 10 infected passengers on it and think......oh no, flights are arriving with 10 infected passengers on them.

But the reality is that thousands of flights are arriving with no infected passengers on them.

Only the flight with the infected passengers gets into the media.

I do think that when a country has a new variant such as South Africa, it is wise to stop flights until we know more about the variant.

The Omicron variant did in fact arrive here from people who arrived from South Africa.

If it can be totally stopped is another story but at least we can buy time to figure out what it is and what to do.

·
Registered
24,333 Posts
The Omicron variant did in fact arrive here from people who arrived from South Africa.

If it can be totally stopped is another story but at least we can buy time to figure out what it is and what to do.
That's true sags, but you have to remember that it's impossible to completely close the border.

Airline crews are constantly travelling around the world and are excluded from just about all checks. The Canada/US border has quite a few exclusions, and that's just out of necessity given our massive border and inter dependency with the US.

I do agree that buying time is good, and we probably "bought" a few days of time with this event. But it's not like we're buying any more than a few days lead.

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
Supply chains need to be kept open, and essential workers need to stay on the job, otherwise we could end up quarantining ourselves and starving to death.

But unnecessary travel to lie on a tropical beach, or go to South Africa to attend a birthday party......just can't be allowed right now.

So far, the travelers I have seen on the news complaining about restrictions........not one was traveling for essential purposes.

·
Registered
19,578 Posts
My wife said they showed on the local news that people are still flying out to the US for vacations.

I remember a couple weeks ago, a young couple was complaining to the CBC in an interview that they had gone to South Africa to go surfing.

They complained that Foreign Affairs told them........"we warned you not to go, and we will not be sending an aircraft to pick you up, so you are on your own" and hung up the phone.

They said the guy isn't answering the phone when they call.........LOL.

It reminded me of this movie scene.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
One could argue that if you have solid insurance, it’s safer in parts of the US than it is in Ontario. More hospitals , lower case rates. (Their time will come). If you’re driving, the risk is even lower.

I think the advisory is the government‘s way of saying….”you’re on your own”. We ain’t coming to get you or offer assistance if you need to quarantine outside of Canada, or can’t find a flight.

561 - 580 of 899 Posts