Canadian Money Forum banner
481 - 500 of 519 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
I was supposed to head to Toronto on Monday but need to cancel my flight. I have been trying to do so for 3 days now. cancelling online is not an option available to me as I booked this flight with Westjet Dollars and have a companion voucher for the booking. I am platinum status and have been on hold for hours using the platinum service number. The request a callback is backlogged to November 12th. Sigh. I understand this is a first world problem but short of going to the airport I am running out of ideas and patience.
I had to call in last week to book a Westjet flight using my companion voucher because open jaw itineraries aren't bookable online using a companion voucher. The next available call back was literally a week out so I decided to put the call on speaker and just wait it out. Was on hold for about 3.5 hours before getting answered. 2 points of note: I suspect the reps are getting a lot of attitude from callers having to wait so long (even though it's not their fault their management isn't staffing up) but a simple "Thanks for waiting." can go a long way. Reps need to be getting the caller's call back number in the event the call is accidentally disconnected. If after waiting for 3.5 hours on hold and I was somehow disconnected halfway through my booking, I would have been pissed.

Agree, first world problems but this is kind of ridiculous.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I had to call in last week to book a Westjet flight using my companion voucher because open jaw itineraries aren't bookable online using a companion voucher. The next available call back was literally a week out so I decided to put the call on speaker and just wait it out. Was on hold for about 3.5 hours before getting answered. 2 points of note: I suspect the reps are getting a lot of attitude from callers having to wait so long (even though it's not their fault their management isn't staffing up) but a simple "Thanks for waiting." can go a long way. Reps need to be getting the caller's call back number in the event the call is accidentally disconnected. If after waiting for 3.5 hours on hold and I was somehow disconnected halfway through my booking, I would have been pissed.

Agree, first world problems but this is kind of ridiculous.
I find Twitter mail the best way to get a company’s attention. It worked for me with air Canada, westjet and Expedia last year. Just today, got a response same day from Bosch (via Twitter) about a dishwasher after calling and emailing the last 5 weeks.

·
Registered
763 Posts
esponse same day from Bosch (via Twitter) about a dishwasher after calling and emailing the last 5 weeks.
I initially DM'ed Westjet's social media team over Twitter to confirm I couldn't book open jaw with a companion voucher online and had to call in. They responded back in about an hour which I think is fine for my original question.

Not sure if they would be able to help me with my basic booking but it might be worth a shot for Londoncalling's issue particularly since they have status.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I appreciate Milhouse's suggestion but learned long ago that those that deal with customer service get treated very poorly at the best of times. I recall missing a connection one afternoon and having another traveler vent his frustration on the ticketing agent at the gate. The flight had already left so it's not like tehy were going to have it come back for us. The agent smiled and nodded while he expressed his frustration using every expletive imaginable. Having worked in construction I thought I knew all the words but that was not the case. Turns out the next flight out for him was the next day. When it was my turn I wandered up to the counter complimented her on her patience in dealing with such a horrible customer and low and behold I got a flight a couple hours later for the same route and destination. I was also provided a first class upgrade, reward miles and a meal voucher.

I was able to get through today after being on hold for an eternity. The service was excellent but hurried. I did get a chance to thank the agent for completing my request and show some empathy to the backlog they are experiencing. I can tell she took a moment to pause and briefly appreciate that sometimes people do acknowledge the efforts of those that work in thankless jobs. Unfortunately, I am 64 Dollars shy of hitting platinum status for next year and am not sure if I will be flying again in 2021. I do have a twitter account but rarely use it perhaps I will give this a try next time.

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
Here's a question about US/Canada travel. Let's say you're in the US and get your COVID test before re-entry to Canada.

As I understand it, this has to be a PCR test which takes 2-3 days to acquire. So you have to arrange for the test and then wait for the results.

What happens if you fail the test? You may of course have an asymptomatic infection, or a false positive. So you'll need another test right away. What happens with your flight booking? I've really never made last minute flight changes like this, so I'm still trying to understand the logistics of what's involved with US/Canada travel.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Here's a question about US/Canada travel. Let's say you're in the US and get your COVID test before re-entry to Canada.

As I understand it, this has to be a PCR test which takes 2-3 days to acquire. So you have to arrange for the test and then wait for the results.

What happens if you fail the test? You may of course have an asymptomatic infection, or a false positive. So you'll need another test right away. What happens with your flight booking? I've really never made last minute flight changes like this, so I'm still trying to understand the logistics of what's involved with US/Canada travel.
I think swoop charges $10 extra which allows for flight changes. either way, I think you’re at the mercy of the airline and their schedules. We’re likely going to Florida at Xmas. Driving down, flying back. Worst case scenario, we’ll drive back.

·
Registered
153 Posts

As I understand it, this has to be a PCR test which takes 2-3 days to acquire ...
There's a pretty long list of acceptable tests at COVID-19 testing for travellers - Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel.gc.ca.

Some of the acceptable types seem to have results as quick as two to four hours, with some sites tacking on about forty dollars to fast track the results.

It may be YMMV depending on your location as to which tests and what the results time frame is.

As for if you have to make changes to the flight - I expect it will depend on what's available and paid for when the ticket is booked. For example, IIRC some of the sales were advertising that all changes fees were being waived to entice travelers.

Cheers

Cheers

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
There's a pretty long list of acceptable tests at COVID-19 testing for travellers - Travel restrictions in Canada – Travel.gc.ca.

Some of the acceptable types seem to have results as quick as two to four hours, with some sites tacking on about forty dollars to fast track the results.
Thanks, I didn't realize it was possible to have tests this fast for re-entry back to Canada.

I really find all of this very confusing and I have heard a lot of conflicting information from friends of mine who have been traveling.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Nobody I know has paid for a test while in the US before coming back to Canada. Make an appointment at Walgreens or cvs and get tested. Just need to provide a US address where you’re staying. This is from people who both rent and own in Florida.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
I'm nervous that I heard so many people coughing on the plane. I'm starting to think I might not want to fly much, during cold & flu season.
Sometimes the filtered air from their HEPA system can be dry. It will impact anyone with lung problems. But if they are sitting beside you or behind you, you might want to change seats!

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
I can't tell if this is new, but apparently the US has also changed some rules for people flying in

• proof of negative covid test within 3 days
  • proof of vaccination

Is this what it was before as well, or has this changed?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I can't tell if this is new, but apparently the US has also changed some rules for people flying in

• proof of negative covid test within 3 days
  • proof of vaccination

Is this what it was before as well, or has this changed?
The proof of vaccination is relatively new for flights originating in Canada. came just after the introduction of the vax passports iirc.

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
The proof of vaccination is relatively new for flights originating in Canada. came just after the introduction of the vax passports iirc.
Are the provincial vaccination records valid as proof for entry into the US? I wonder how on earth they (US CBP) are keeping up with the different provincial versions.

Are they able to decode those QR codes and make sense of them? Seems unlikely to me. So I wonder what constitutes proof that a Canadian has been vaccinated.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Are the provincial vaccination records valid as proof for entry into the US? I wonder how on earth they (US CBP) are keeping up with the different provincial versions.

Are they able to decode those QR codes and make sense of them? Seems unlikely to me. So I wonder what constitutes proof that a Canadian has been vaccinated.
Yes, The newest vaccination QR codes (in most, if not all provinces) now have the Official Canada logo on them. I know the first version in Ontario did not have the Canada logo on it.

edit - all provinces and territories should have this available by Nov 30.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Logo
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Circle

·
Registered
21,871 Posts
It seems that COVID testing can sometimes be free in the US, for re-entry back to Canada.

Walgreens has a NAAT test, which is accepted at the Canadian border. Apparently this test is government funded, if you can find it at your Walgreens location.

Both PCR and NAAT are acceptable for entering Canada. Just beware of the time to get the test results, so leave plenty of time just in case.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
It seems that COVID testing can sometimes be free in the US, for re-entry back to Canada.

Walgreens has a NAAT test, which is accepted at the Canadian border. Apparently this test is government funded, if you can find it at your Walgreens location.

Both PCR and NAAT are acceptable for entering Canada. Just beware of the time to get the test results, so leave plenty of time just in case.

None of my neighbour snowbirds have paid for a test in the US. Book test online, show up at drive through. Don’t leave your car. Swab yourself. test results usually within 48 hours.

Apparently NAAT test results can be had same day. Walgreens and CVS are favs.

a friend of mine visited California and got a free test at the beach. Pop up location.

if I was down there, I’d Google free Covid test. I was thinking the requirement for tests for returning Canadians would be dropped soon….but with some provinces and territories seeing an increase in cases….maybe not.

481 - 500 of 519 Posts