Canadian Money Forum banner
461 - 480 of 520 Posts

·
Registered
14,418 Posts
Absolutely agree. I have no sympathy for those, who against Government advisories, went to countries that were subsequently place on the the no fly list such as India.

I feel the same way about Canadian citizens who failed to leave Afghanistan months before when they were strongly advised to do so by our Government. Or any other countries for that matter. Then expect support after the tears and sympathy stories start to flow.
I had a coworker who got trapped in India this spring for three months. They made a rather ill-advised family trip to visit a grandfather who was unwell. Extended the stay a few days since other family was and then air travel promptly got shut down.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
I see that the US has amended travel rules for some foreigners. vaccination is required.

does this only apply to the countries which Trump banned?

either way, is the US accepting AZ (heavily used in thenUK) or a mix for entry? I can’t find any specifics.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Very useful website , where Canadian can travel and if there are restrictions. Not sure how ofter this site is updated though.... Also, couldn't find some contries like Netherlands or Denmark

Good news that
As of June 21, 2020, Spain is somewhere you can travel to. Currently, vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers can enter Spain from Canada with no restrictions.

However, Portugal is requires negative CPR testing if you fly in... So, my understanding if drive from Spain to Portugal, you don't need anything?!

The problem is also with PCR test before returning to Canada it cost 80-110EUR and looks like you need to go to airport to take it

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
If only there was a vaccine to eliminate all the travel BS that we need to go thru
True! I’d like to get such vaccine and even pay for it! Was thinking to go with my wife to St Lucia or Antigua in November/December.... so much hassle! PCR test here to departure, fill out some forms ... when you arrive, we should be mostly concerned with another PCR test before heading back to Canada, then another test in Canada.... holy **** ! And if one of us happens to get positive test without any symptoms or test will he wrong ?! We are screwed! Go quarantine for 2 weeks somewhere! Or if I get results not on time?! On the other hand , after traveling 4-5 times per year abroad, we are devastated to sit in Ontario for 2 years!
Maybe go to DR or Mexico?! At least no need for any tests before departure... and as my son was told in DR, if your test is positive, you go to another door , pay another $100 , and your test miraculously becomes negative 🤣 . $100USD and you are healthy! Nice!

·
Registered
155 Posts
If only there was a vaccine to eliminate all the travel BS that we need to go thru
I thought that was the original intent of getting the double vax, to avoid all the travel BS that we still have to go through. I do call BS on the premise that vaxed people can still carry and spread the virus though because the point of vaccination is that the virus cannot replicate so any spread is minuscule to the point of being irrelevant. It has been proven that the level of infection is dependent on the the amount of exposure. Great revenue generator though with the PCR test at $150 USD a pop though.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I thought that was the original intent of getting the double vax, to avoid all the travel BS that we still have to go through. I do call BS on the premise that vaxed people can still carry and spread the virus though because the point of vaccination is that the virus cannot replicate so any spread is minuscule to the point of being irrelevant. It has been proven that the level of infection is dependent on the the amount of exposure. Great revenue generator though with the PCR test at $150 USD a pop though.
We are amazed at the differences in cost of PCR tests. We have looked at Mexico, Panama, and Greece. The first two are $150 USD and up. Greece is a max of 60E (Gov't regulated) with some clinics charging only 40E.

Must be a great deal of margin. It seems that the closer the clinic is to an airport or port, the more they charge for the test.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
We are amazed at the differences in cost of PCR tests. We have looked at Mexico, Panama, and Greece. The first two are $150 USD and up. Greece is a max of 60E (Gov't regulated) with some clinics charging only 40E.

Must be a great deal of margin. It seems that the closer the clinic is to an airport or port, the more they charge for the test.
Same for Madrid, I did a quick check and prices are in range 60-110 EUR, but I could not find facilities addresses 🤔

I’ve read somewhere that in France PCR test is free!

Btw, I contacted our insurance (Manulife) and was told that I cannot claim it even though Health Spending Account ... what the Hell?!
After visiting Punta Caña, my son told me that regular PCR cost $100USD and additional $100USD if you want to convert positive test to negative 🤣

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Looks like USA border opening in November. No PCR test required but proof of vaccine required. This is great news for those of us wanting to snow bird. Florida Keys here we come! Theres a marlin with my name on it.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Looks like USA border opening in November. No PCR test required but proof of vaccine required. This is great news for those of us wanting to snow bird. Florida Keys here we come! Theres a marlin with my name on it.
Is the “no test” confirmed? So no test to enter A foreign country, but I need a test to enter my birth country?

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Thats what it sounds like at this point. No details confirmed yet.
The northern states want Canadians coming to shop for the weekend....requiring a PCR test to enter would kill that idea.
Some states are going to give free PCR tests to Canadians for their return return ...NY is confirmed.

·
Registered
21,897 Posts
I just had another domestic flight... another comfortable, well organized experience with Air Canada.

The whole process seemed pretty safe to me, with one exception: getting off the plane.

Man do people cluster together!! People just forget about distancing, and everyone was grabbing their suitcases and then standing shoulder-to-shoulder ... I saw barely 2 feet between peoples heads. VERY VERY dangerous circumstances.

If you're flying, beware of the de-planing stage. Make sure your mask is fitting perfectly, and hang back and wait for the crowd to disperse.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I just had another domestic flight... another comfortable, well organized experience with Air Canada.

The whole process seemed pretty safe to me, with one exception: getting off the plane.

Man do people cluster together!! People just forget about distancing, and everyone was grabbing their suitcases and then standing shoulder-to-shoulder ... I saw barely 2 feet between peoples heads. VERY VERY dangerous circumstances.

If you're flying, beware of the de-planing stage. Make sure your mask is fitting perfectly, and hang back and wait for the crowd to disperse.
Same experience here. Crowding to deplane. Also in the terminal prior to boarding in my experience.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Yes this is what we did in July 2020, Dec 2020 and June 2021. Hanging back makes so much sense. It makes it easier to get your carryons, lets the bags get delivered and reduces the lines at customs/immigration.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have travelled a few times by air in the past 2 months and noticed the same thing along with fuller flights(good for the industry, and flight costs bad for social distancing). Hanging back and waiting is fine. In fact I am usually one of the last to board going back to prepandemic I was of the mindset why sit on the plane any longer than necessary. Deplaning is a bit different. If I am sitting near the front of the plane would I not be putting myself in greater proximity to more people? I rarely have checked luggage (short business stays) and have yet to travel out of country. Will be flying each of the next 3 weeks in Canada to different cities so will try and note the differences regionally.

·
Registered
21,897 Posts
I had another flight today. Unlike my last few flights, this time many people were coughing both in the terminal, and on the plane. There was a man sitting across the aisle from me who coughed every few minutes, over the span of 3 hours.

Hard to tell if this is because people are sick, or just feeling irritation from dry air and cold weather. I certainly do more coughing and throat clearing in winter months too, but I can control it and didn't cough at all on the flight.

I'm nervous that I heard so many people coughing on the plane. I'm starting to think I might not want to fly much, during cold & flu season.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I was supposed to head to Toronto on Monday but need to cancel my flight. I have been trying to do so for 3 days now. cancelling online is not an option available to me as I booked this flight with Westjet Dollars and have a companion voucher for the booking. I am platinum status and have been on hold for hours using the platinum service number. The request a callback is backlogged to November 12th. Sigh. I understand this is a first world problem but short of going to the airport I am running out of ideas and patience.

461 - 480 of 520 Posts