Canadian Money Forum banner
441 - 460 of 476 Posts

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
We haven't ever gotten to the point of discussing payment options as Ontario residents seeking medical care in NS. Closest clinic we phoned "not taking anyone new". Second clinic "No walk ins". On latter trip drove by the hospital "ER closed".
And this is why covid case #s are serious and can't just be ignored, even if someone thinks covid isn't a big deal or thinks everyone should just "suck it up" and get on with life

Doctor availability is reduced. Their jobs are dangerous, because seeing patients in person puts them at high risk for catching covid. So many clinics are scaling back availability to see patients. I also know of a couple (older) doctors who retired during all of this, because covid could have killed them if they kept seeing patients.

We have to take case numbers seriously. When case numbers soar, it's a problem for all of us. We ALL need to see doctors for one reason or another. If the docs aren't available, if the clinics are at capacity, that's a big problem.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Looking very doubtful for Greece in Oct. Hopes have shifted to Panama in Jan/Feb.

Really tired of this covid business.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
We were trying to get a blood test for my wife in Sidney bc
Was pretty much impossible
We even tried Victoria clinics without success
Alberta has much better accessibility

internationally there’s no comparison
We walk in without trouble in USA Mexico even polynesia to get a test or see a doc
Improbably the cheapest doctor visits were in the USA where we have been charged $40 to $80 to see a doctor.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Looking very doubtful for Greece in Oct. Hopes have shifted to Panama in Jan/Feb.

Really tired of this covid business.
We are exausted "tired of this covid business." :) ... Looking very doubtful for Amsterdam in Oct. Maybe Punta Cana, St Lucia or Antigua in the Fall.... also, looks like booking should be done day-to-day

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
The differences in cost and availability of PCR tests is surprising. We looked at Mexico. Seems to be $150 USD from what we can tell in PV. Our friends in Panama say $100-200 USD. Numerous places in Athens, Greece priced at 40-60 E. Government place a cap on PCR tests at 60E. We have hear of antigen test costing from $40-$150.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It is also inevitable that in some places, if not all of them, vaccines will no longer bet free.
3rd, 4th, 5th......15th doses will have to be paid for by the person getting vaccinated.
Tourism industry might get a boost by subsiding vaccines to make them cheaper in specific area

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
The differences in cost and availability of PCR tests is surprising. We looked at Mexico. Seems to be $150 USD from what we can tell in PV. Our friends in Panama say $100-200 USD. Numerous places in Athens, Greece priced at 40-60 E. Government place a cap on PCR tests at 60E. We have hear of antigen test costing from $40-$150.
I’ve heard in France it’s free 😁

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Some of my older family members (over age 70) were considering going to Europe, but recently cancelled those plans.

Concerns included the experience, and limitations, at the destination country. There would likely be some restrictions at that country, but it also occurred to them that getting around will become more unpleasant. They previously used public transport in Europe (bus & train) but due to covid concerns, would likely have to take taxis everywhere. More generally, there are mobility concerns within the country.

Maybe the Caribbean could be a good destination for Canadians this winter? We'll see.

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
I don't care if people want to travel, but I don't think the government should be expected to come to their rescue if they get into trouble.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I don't care if people want to travel, but I don't think the government should be expected to come to their rescue if they get into trouble.
Absolutely agree. I have no sympathy for those, who against Government advisories, went to countries that were subsequently place on the the no fly list such as India.

I feel the same way about Canadian citizens who failed to leave Afghanistan months before when they were strongly advised to do so by our Government. Or any other countries for that matter. Then expect support after the tears and sympathy stories start to flow.

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
I agree....some people didn't want to leave Afghanistan and then they did and then they didn't and then they did...and showed up with 50 of their relatives.

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
I am curious........

All these older people.........70 plus, who travel all over are in perfect health or just don't worry about it ?

Health concerns have always held me back from long distance traveling the past few years.

Maybe it is because I have been in the hospital so many times in the past few years, that I am too worried now.

The issues were addressed and hopefully one time issues.......appendicitis twice, heart ablation, heart stents......

But all those times laying in the ER keep coming to mind.

From what I saw on the cruise ships years ago........a lot of people are traveling with health conditions.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I am curious........

All these older people.........70 plus, who travel all over are in perfect health or just don't worry about it ?

Health concerns have always held me back from long distance traveling the past few years.

Maybe it is because I have been in the hospital so many times in the past few years, that I am too worried now.

The issues were addressed and hopefully one time issues.......appendicitis twice, heart ablation, heart stents......

But all those times laying in the ER keep coming to mind.

From what I saw on the cruise ships years ago........a lot of people are traveling with health conditions.
Don’t worry about it. I live in a seniors community. Last year, I’d guess about 20% of the regular snowbirds headed down South. This year, I’m guessing it will be over 50%. Most are delaying until the new year vs. Heading down oct-dec.

·
Registered
16,695 Posts
I wouldn't be confident that countries would prioritize a foreigner over their own citizens.........if it came down to it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Vast majority of countries have two-tiered healthcare system. Of course public healthcare system will take care of you in emergency situations. Private will take care of all non-emergency needs. Just make sure you have good insurance.
Or don't. You can be afraid, not confident, etc. Options are easily available for anyone who wants them though.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
I am curious........

sags some people just don't worry about stuff like this virus. It's still a matter of luck after all... someone can take a trip to Florida, and may not catch the virus.

Or they may catch the virus and not have symptoms. If they are fully vaccinated, they could catch it and have a very mild experience (if they notice it at all).

441 - 460 of 476 Posts