Canadian Money Forum banner
421 - 440 of 476 Posts

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I have decided to cancel my trip to Toronto this year. Don't need the 5 hours masked up with my COPD.

My Grandson is in BC on business so we are getting together tomorrow night.

Taking a trip on the ferry to Victoria. Local travel only.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
We have been enjoying the waters of the PNW this summer
Currently in desolation sound, surprising number of boats many with American flags
No talk about Covid, people out to meet each other, everyone shakes hands
I’ll be sorry to see the season end

just now in Melanie cove

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
When this 4th wave dies down, I'm interested in going to the US for some business travel.

But what happens if I catch covid and have to go to a hospital in the US? If one gets hospitalized, the bills will easy gets into the hundreds of thousands of $.

Does anyone offer this kind of covid travel insurance? In the past I've used TD's Travel Medical Insurance but I don't know if they could pay out covid-related claims. The medical costs could bankrupt me.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Honestly, just read terms and conditions. When I travelled in 2020 I had COVID insurance. It was extremely cheap and all it took was online application. Granted, it was with Polish insurance company.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Apparently we have another problem... we were thinking going to Amsterdam , but flight has stopover in Dublin (Aer Lingus) ... I’ve read article that Ireland (together with UK, Germany etc) don’t count mixing AZ with mNRA vaccines as fully vaccinated! (even if you have just layover). It’s so confusing now...

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
When this 4th wave dies down, I'm interested in going to the US for some business travel.

But what happens if I catch covid and have to go to a hospital in the US? If one gets hospitalized, the bills will easy gets into the hundreds of thousands of $.

Does anyone offer this kind of covid travel insurance? In the past I've used TD's Travel Medical Insurance but I don't know if they could pay out covid-related claims. The medical costs could bankrupt me.
Last time I checked, I think TD did not cover covid related costs, but maniLife did.
experts are recommending at least $1 million in covid related coverage. Be careful, while some companies offer up to $5M overall, they limit covid expenses to $200k.

im sure things will change…..there will likely be better options for fully vaxed people.

finally…remember….getting COVID and having coverage still doesn’t guarantee you a hospital bed.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts

From TD…….

IMPORTANT NOTICE regarding COVID-19 travel advisories

The Canadian government has issued a travel advisory to avoid non-essential travel outside Canada. If you travel to your destination or purchase Trip Cancelation and Interruption, after the issuance of the advisory, no claims related to COVID-19 will be paid for all TD Travel Insurance products.

unclear If this applies only to Interruption coverage or medical costs too.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
More from TD…..here’s an exclusion tied to travel advisories….

Travel advisory
Situation where Your claim will not be paid or payment will be limited:
• where an official travel advisory was issued by the Canadian government stating "Avoid all non-essential
travel" or "Avoid all travel" regarding the country, region or city of Your destination, before Your Effective
Date.
To view the travel advisories, visit the Government of Canada Travel site.
This exclusion does not apply to claims for a Medical Emergency or a Medical Condition unrelated to the travel advisory.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
After flying to NFLD for 10 days we made it back to Ontario, took a 2 day rest and then drove to Sackville, NS. Great trip with the wifes family, had a nice lobster roll at Peggy's Cove. Got back last evening and heading back to work next Tuesday. It was a well needed trip and I feel really good and recharged, before going I was very burned out and tired.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I’ve had a few friends travel to south lately. One for vacation, one to check in on a large plumping leak at their Florida home. Both said the process was “ok”. biggest stressor is waiting for proof of negative covid tests. This can really impact your planned departure date.
one faced an issue at the border when the guard wanted to see the full lab results, and not just the proof of a negative test. Remember, that border guards can deny the “simple” entry process and subject you to the full quarantine processe.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
finally…remember….getting COVID and having coverage still doesn’t guarantee you a hospital bed.
Very good point, and this is why nobody should ever travel to a hot spot. Some jurisdictions are seeing hospitals at high capacity and the last thing you want to do is get sick (or injured in ANY way) in a place like that.

For me that takes the US off the table for the foreseeable future, but we'll see how things shape up.

I know people like @Eder don't care and go to the US anyway, but they'd better hope they don't end up with any medical problems which require hospital care.

More from TD…..here’s an exclusion tied to travel advisories….
Thanks, that's a big one.

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
Only 4 countries have no any Covid restrictions (include PCR test) and operate as normal regardless of vaccination: Columbia, Mexico, Costa Rica , DR

·
Registered
14,330 Posts

I wonder if there will be COVID insurance, at least for those who are vaccinated.

·
Registered
14,330 Posts
Apparently we have another problem... we were thinking going to Amsterdam , but flight has stopover in Dublin (Aer Lingus) ... I’ve read article that Ireland (together with UK, Germany etc) don’t count mixing AZ with mNRA vaccines as fully vaccinated! (even if you have just layover). It’s so confusing now...
Should be able to get a direct flight from Pearson to Amsterdam, it is a hub. Try KLM.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
No worries. I can't really comment as I have no experience with using Canadian insurance (have two passports and EU insurance is simply cheaper and I know of people using it successfully) but yeah, they have that in the offering.

·
Registered
482 Posts
We haven't ever gotten to the point of discussing payment options as Ontario residents seeking medical care in NS. Closest clinic we phoned "not taking anyone new". Second clinic "No walk ins". On latter trip drove by the hospital "ER closed".

·
Banned
12,035 Posts
We haven't ever gotten to the point of discussing payment options as Ontario residents seeking medical care in NS. Closest clinic we phoned "not taking anyone new". Second clinic "No walk ins". On latter trip drove by the hospital "ER closed".
It’s much easier for Finish to get medical treatment in Ireland, than interprovincial here 🤣

421 - 440 of 476 Posts