Canadian Money Forum banner

301 - 320 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes GLK250
37 Posts
Walk the talk seems to be an illusive practice these days, especially as so-called guidelines seem to be constantly changing.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I agree that the elected officials should not be leaving Canada and should be fired for showing poor judgement and leadership. I don't know if I agree that citizens/staff aka regular people that happen to work in the public sector should be held to the same standard as an elected official.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
I agree that the elected officials should not be leaving Canada and should be fired for showing poor judgement and leadership. I don't know if I agree that citizens/staff aka regular people that happen to work in the public sector should be held to the same standard as an elected official.
.. I think elected officials should definitely be FIRED for the lack of judgement or pretending to have a memory lapse - NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER because it reflects the incompetency and the dishonesty of the "elected" official.

As for the non-elected officials - start with a demotion.

Here's the latest example of a high ranking public figure flouting the rules:

Member of Ontario’s COVID-19 advisory table booted from role after vacationing in Dominican over holidays

And hospital CEO (in ON) and a member of the Covid19 advisory table ... @#!$ unbelieveable.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
.. I think elected officials should definitely be FIRED for the lack of judgement or pretending to have a memory lapse - NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER because it reflects the incompetency and the dishonesty of the "elected" official.

ELECTED should most definitely be held to a higher accountability especially if it is there level (Federal and Provincial) that is making the policies (Municipal does make any policies or by laws regarding travel)

It's the non-elected officials of Nenshi's that @Eder referred too. One is the Chief of Staff for the Mayor's office and the other is an admin assistant. I don't think either of them should be fired or demoted. They may work for the public sector, but should not be under the same scrutiny's especially at a municipal level. To me that would be saying any public sector employee should be fired for travelling out of the country. If we go that far, then you could say any person that does any work for the public sector (contractors, consultants). Then it could lead into any person in a leadership or senior position in a private company.

Just thinking out loud and trying to draw some lines in my head. I do alot of work in governance and accountabilities, so this is an interesting one for me.

·
Registered
675 Posts

·
Registered
5,716 Posts

Here's the latest example of a high ranking public figure flouting the rules:

Member of Ontario’s COVID-19 advisory table booted from role after vacationing in Dominican over holidays

And hospital CEO (in ON) and a member of the Covid19 advisory table ... @#!$ unbelieveable.
... surprised? Nope.

Ontario doctor out as CEO of Niagara Health following Dominican Republic trip

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
... I think we need to create an official Wall of Shame to keep up with these bozos.
I am against of "walls of shame' or this cancel culture. Sure, out these idiots and hold them responsible. It sounds like many of them outted themselves by posted social media pics of their lovely vacations and then sending a pre recording holiday greeting from their homes to stay safe.

What I am seeing is that people are starting to go over the non election officials. First it starts with the senior position (non elected), whom was following orders, now in our news there is a jr administrator in one of the Councillors office, that I am sure the Coucillor barely there name, they are trying to out. Then I heard that some places are asking for records of any public employee who left the country. This is starting to go too far. Just my rant on these Wall of Shames and witch hunts.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
^ A Wall of Shame from the "public" records or that from the news ... not asking for the task to go witchhunting / digging HR records for vacationing employees.

Since publication of such who-should-know-MUCH-better shamers aren't sufficient, then what do you suggest would work or would be an equitable solution other than a pretentious "Oh, I'm sorry. I should have known better. I had a memory lapse ..I regret it." Excuses, excuses, excuses. Are these officials / employees that uneducated?

Just imagine if you, yourself did this, what are the consequences for you ... a non-elected official? Or what "higher" standard(s) are they (officials) supposedly to be held? Or is it too much to ask that they be held at the "same" standards as everyone else? NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL during a "ongoing, gonna to get worst" pandemic FOR EVERYONE.

It's beginning to be unbelievably farcial with these bozos.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
^ I am okay with posting the list of Elected Officials that broke health orders (not just travel to be honest) as not only should they know better, they must lead by example. I think they should all be asked to resign. Again, that's our elected officials. They are at a higher standard

I think employees (not elected officials), Should be dealt with by the company policies. That applies for both public and private companies. I am seeing something different in my city, hence why I am posting. I am seeing that people want to know of the employees that may have gone away. This is NOT okay for me. The media has asked for EMPLOYEE records, and had been digging and found a 'Jr Admin assistant' that worked in the office of a Councillor. This is part I think is wrong, to lump the elected officials and their non elected staff together. That is what is happening in my area.

We agree that our elected officials should be held as a higher standard. Should non elected officials who work for them be on the same wall of shame?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I see a large part of the problem is that they say 'Please don't travel' , 'please stay home as much as possible', etc. It's always a request, not a law. Elected officials should be held to account; they are supposed to lead by example.
When people see them being hypocritical, why should the public comply with the 'requests'. I still can't fathom why airlines are flying everywhere, and indeed advertising vacations and flights.
Lockdown? as if

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
^ You mean "affecting" us? You haven't seen nothing yet ... Quebec is imposing a "curfew" and to "8 pm" only which will affect everyone there. It'll just be a matter of time that this restriction goes across Canada and then watch the night animals go really deranged.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
So my extended family wants to start booking the vacation we cancelled last May.
they’re thinking about late December to Turks.

I thought I had saw packages that allow you to cancel up to 15 fore departure but don’t see that anymore.

we have a large group. 13-15 people. Approx 10 have travel credits. we all booked separately last year. We’re all under 50.

what would you be looking for before booking? Book hotel/flights separately?

I think it’s a little too soon to be booking. I’d prefer to wait til the Spring To see what the vaccine rollout is like.

the actual week of Xmas is already sold out.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I doubt the way Canada is going about vaccines that any flights will be resuming to vacation areas till next year.

Airlines don't like refunding money, especially now that WestJet & Air Canada may end up in receivership due to new restrictions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You don't believe leadership that all canadians who want vaccines will have by August.

Here's how you significantly reduce transmission
1)Mandate use of real masks. KN95 or N95 since no shortage now. Cloth/surgical are useless. Fauci (useless figurehead) now saying 2 masks are better than one. One KN95 is better than two useless ones
2)Send 2 million rapid tests out to all households each week. This does not cover all households but enough that it will cut hospitalizations. The companies that do this have capacity. Household all tests on one strip 2x per week....any positives and they quarantine for two weeks.

Leadership is absent

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
You don't believe leadership that all canadians who want vaccines will have by August.

Here's how you significantly reduce transmission
1)Mandate use of real masks. KN95 or N95 since no shortage now. Cloth/surgical are useless. Fauci (useless figurehead) now saying 2 masks are better than one. One KN95 is better than two useless ones
2)Send 2 million rapid tests out to all households each week. This does not cover all households but enough that it will cut hospitalizations. The companies that do this have capacity. Household all tests on one strip 2x per week....any positives and they quarantine for two weeks.

Leadership is absent
Doctors here on the news are against N95 use by the public. One even said he doesn’t wear one even when in contact with known Covid patients. He says N95 use is restricted to certain areas/procedures.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I agree with rapid test use. Seems a lot easier to get these out than bankrupt our economy more. Anyway this has nothing to do with travel...I'm glad I'll be taking the boat back to Canada...wont need to pay for those $2000 motel rooms JT is touting.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Doctors here on the news are against N95 use by the public. One even said he doesn’t wear one even when in contact with known Covid patients. He says N95 use is restricted to certain areas/procedures.
... basically your source of doctor(s) is discouraging the use of N95s because due to their scarcity as these masks are reserved primarily for inhospital uses - by surgeons and personnel in ICU units. Just like what Canada's chief health office Dr. T. Tam has and is still doing.

So not sure exactly what that "one doctor" to claim he "doesn't wear one even when in contact with known Covid patients" ... unintentional irresponsibility?

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
🌌 Post moved to "so vaccines?..." thread.

301 - 320 of 354 Posts