Canadian Money Forum banner

261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
Whenever I have been talking to someone and the subject of travel has come up, I listen to where they talk about. Those that tell me only about popular beach tourist destinations. Those that tell me of 'tours' of cities like a 'See Europe, 8 countries in 10 days', they have been to. Those that tell me about a little village no one has ever heard of or a particular non-typical tourist experience they had.

That kind of sums up roughly the type of differences in travel that people do. They all travel, they are all tourists there for pleasure but the way they travel and potentially how much they get out of their travelling does differ. When someone visits an island in the sun and never leave the all-inclusive resort compound, they aren't really getting much out of being on that island in terms of learning or experiencing what that island is really like to live there etc. It's a visit to that island but it is it has to be said, a very superficial visit.

Doing a '9 countries in Europe in 14 days' tour whether with an organized tour or booked independently, really isn't visiting 9 countries in any meaningful way either. Again it is superficial. Some argue they are making best use of time by doing this etc. I say nonsense, they are seeing and doing very little in any of the places they stop and often spending about as much time moving from A to B as they actually spend IN places. That's not best use of time.

The travellers who I am most likely to want to listen to are those who tell me about a unique, impossible to replicate experience they had somewhere.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If I can get everything organized, I might spend a night in one of our spare bedrooms on the September long weekend. 😉

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
The airlines and public health officials continue to not advise people when they have been on a flight that had one or more passengers test positive for Covid.

In the first 2 weeks of this month, 55 flights had an infected passenger on board.

It is left up to the individual to self-isolate for 14 days as per the law and to find out for themselves if their flight home had an infected passenger.

It seems to me the airlines and public health are 'sweeping it under the carpet' to the benefit of the airlines and the avoidance of informing the public.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #264
An e-mail from Air Canada linking to vacations they are offering right now, prompted me to look up the travel restrictions for the Dominican Republic where these vacations were being offered. Air Canada of course is not going to tell anyone about these restrictions.

The restriction that I found of interest is the curfew that is in place in most of the country. You would not be able to go out of your hotel between 7pm and 5am basically. Guess that means you are going to eat dinner there every night whether you like it or not. LOL

Air Canada wants your money, the Dominican Republic wants your money but neither is explaining how you are supposed to enjoy your holiday given all the restrictions you have to deal with.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
An e-mail from Air Canada linking to vacations they are offering right now, prompted me to look up the travel restrictions for the Dominican Republic where these vacations were being offered. Air Canada of course is not going to tell anyone about these restrictions.

The restriction that I found of interest is the curfew that is in place in most of the country. You would not be able to go out of your hotel between 7pm and 5am basically. Guess that means you are going to eat dinner there every night whether you like it or not. LOL

Air Canada wants your money, the Dominican Republic wants your money but neither is explaining how you are supposed to enjoy your holiday given all the restrictions you have to deal with.
My youngest son has been to the DR for a one week all inclusive. There were no restrictions but travel downtown was not recommended anytime. Now it is just prohibited at night. He went downtown and got the feeling of the place but had no desire to go back again.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #267
Just sharing....not commenting on whether Or not it’s smart.....

$100,000 in coverage per person.

Nothing new in that. Some countries are now offering free Covid coverage for tourists visiting their countries. When you think about it, there is something immoral in it. They are tempting people to risk their lives and the lives of others they come into contact with, in order to bring in business.

Our government travel advisories as well as those of most other countries are still advising us to 'avoid non-essential travel' and yet here we have businesses and countries encouraging us to do the exact opposite. Disgusting..

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
My youngest son has been to the DR for a one week all inclusive. There were no restrictions but travel downtown was not recommended anytime. Now it is just prohibited at night. He went downtown and got the feeling of the place but had no desire to go back again.
He's an idiot. I hope you told him so.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
This was a few years ago. Now it would be Air Canada taking him for a week at premium prices. He would be an idiot to go back now but I don't have to tell him.(y)

·
Registered
4,052 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Heres the test to be used...

Of course the test won't be available in Canada...better to wait in line for 4 hours & get results 5 days later.

Hawaiian Airlines has also joined and will preflight test Hawaiian bound passengers out of San Francisco and LAX.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
There's no reason why anyone flying should not receive a 15 minute Covid test before being allowed on the plane. A concept lost on our government but being embraced by much of the world.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Esteemed member Longtimeago launched this thread a long time ago, but has lapsed into quiescence nigh on 3 weeks now, as near as I can tell. Departed on vacation perhaps? Under the weather with a touch of the dreaded C-19? I hope not. Should we dispatch the St. Bernard with a cask of brandy to revive the lad? Ask the Attorney General to investigate?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Yes, RP, I have certainly seen that. If one looks back on any thread that's much more than a few years old, a lot of those posting were members of some duration, with many posts to their credit, but they have disappeared. Those are the ones I sometimes wonder about. Those that had a real presence here. There are a great many who join up, post for awhile, then go silent. Lots of those on all forums. Nothing to wonder about in those cases. It's the stalwarts who disappear that get me to thinking at times. I some cases, with a bit of reading, you can see why they left. Some tire of conflict with other members. Some seem to attract conflict and not all those that do handle it well.

I kinda' miss HP, but she seemed to draw a lot of fire for reasons not altogether clear to me. I always respected her knowledge. She did not profess to be all-knowing, but when she saw fit to address an issue, she certainly seemed to know her stuff.

The rapid burnout of LTA struck me. A member for about 2 years, with a prolific 3,400+ posts to his credit, and then gone. Maybe not done. Maybe just in hiatus. I too take the occasional holiday away from cmf. In fact, not sure why I stick around. I share little investment style (or lifestyle) with anyone else here, and have little to contribute or to learn.

261 - 277 of 277 Posts