Canadian Money Forum banner

241 - 260 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
I'm curious, what does this mean? Wouldn't every travel insurance policy be different? I have read a few of these things and they are awfully inconsistent.

(To be clear though, I won't be flying anywhere -- even domestically -- until the middle seats empty up)
Then you may never fly again james4beach. I see no reason to think they will go back to empty middle seats. Besides, it really doesn't make that much difference. It may make you 'feel' safer but it really doesn't decrease risk to any real degree.

It is an effective vaccine and/or an effective treatment that will decrease the risk for us. I will not be flying until one or both of those is available. It's not just the flying itself that is the issue it is everything else that goes with it as long as we have no vaccine/cure for the virus.

I think a lot of people still don't realize that the way things are now in most places with 'Stage 3' is how the world is going to be until we get a vaccine or cure. There is no 'Stage 4' to re-opening until then.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Availability of travel insurance that covers covid is certainly not a determinant of whether we will travel. Our health and well being comes first. Insurance is simply a backup.

Far too early to determine when we will travel again. Initial vaccine testing has only just begun. No indication of it's effectiveness or the effectiveness and safety of other vaccines that will soon be gong into 3 month stage 3 evals. Same for effective drugs to combat covid. Could be a year, could be longer.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
I have seen indications from Dr. Tam and others that seem to be preparing us to accept that the 'new normal' is going to be ongoing for a very long time if not longer. There may never come a time when there is ZERO risk. It may be the best can hope for is reduced risk that we are prepared to accept.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #244 (Edited)
This has got to be the most comprehensive outline of travel conditions.

The titles says Europe but it covers all parts of the world.

Most if not all of the places posters in this forum have talked about are covered and some of the details are interesting. For example, visitors to the Turks and Caicos can expect "Face coverings in public are mandatory (and recommended on the islands’ beaches, including the “World’s Best Beach,” Grace Bay Beach)."

I'm not quite sure how to interpret that. 'In public' would indicate outdoors as well as indoors in my mind but then the 'recommended' on beaches' would seem to say it is not mandatory on beaches. Maybe mandatory when walking on streets or around wherever you were staying but you can have it off on a beach? I'm picturing the tan lines on people after 2 weeks of wearing a mask outdoors all the time. LOL

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Another example of what can happen when people travel while we are still in the midst of the pandemic.

When Canada changes the travel advisory and drops the quarantine requirement on return, the same scenario will be a possibility for us. You go away expecting to have a good time and return as scheduled. Then they change the rules while you are away.

Think about what's happening in the mind of some of those 160,000 Brit 'holidaymakers' who are currently in France. I'm glad I'm not one of them that's for sure.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
No plans this year but optimistic for next year. Long shot is late May/June for either Greece/Cyprus or Morocco. I have been looking at direct air fares from Canada. Very good prices. Unfortunately the chances of going are verrry slim and I would never book air until two weeks or less out. Prices and carriers could be very different then! If it is a no go, second choice is the same choices in Sept/Oct of next year.

I have to remain optimistic that there will be a satisfactory conclusion to this. Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst. And keeping my money in my pocket so to speak.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Some countries are starting to offer insurance against covid related health costs as an incentive to visit.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Some countries are starting to offer insurance against covid related health costs as an incentive to visit.

That's fine until you think out the practicalities Money172375. What happens if you go to Portugal and contract Covid?

You will be told to quarantine for a start. The insurance will pay for the expenses of that but you will be in Portugal, not at home. How happy will you be with that when you are perhaps 'sick as a dog'? You will not be allowed on a plane to return to Canada remember.

If you need to be hospitalized, that will be in Portugal. Doctors will probably speak some English but otherwise, all your interactions in the hospital will likely be in Portugese. How to ask to be taken to the toilet or tell them you can't eat the food, etc. Minor issues can be very upsetting when you are ill as I am sure you know.

It's not just a case of being insured, it's more a case of what will happen to you if it happens when you are in that other country.

I think we need to keep in mind that anything a company such as an airline or tour company does as well as anything a country does, to encourage tourism right now is NOT about doing what is in the best interest of the tourist, it is in the best interest of the company or the country's economy.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
No plans this year but optimistic for next year. Long shot is late May/June for either Greece/Cyprus or Morocco. I have been looking at direct air fares from Canada. Very good prices. Unfortunately the chances of going are verrry slim and I would never book air until two weeks or less out. Prices and carriers could be very different then! If it is a no go, second choice is the same choices in Sept/Oct of next year.

I have to remain optimistic that there will be a satisfactory conclusion to this. Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst. And keeping my money in my pocket so to speak.
I can't see travelling before a vaccine and/or treatment is available ian and keep in mind that means available and widely taken up by the public, at BOTH ends of the trip. What do you guess the chances are of that being the case in Greece, Cyprus or Morocco by next May/June? I'd say next to no chance at all, not even a 'long shot'.

I'm crossing my fingers that we will be able to consider travel in 2022 but see no likelyhood at all before that.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I can't see travelling before a vaccine and/or treatment is available ian and keep in mind that means available and widely taken up by the public, at BOTH ends of the trip. What do you guess the chances are of that being the case in Greece, Cyprus or Morocco by next May/June? I'd say next to no chance at all, not even a 'long shot'.

I'm crossing my fingers that we will be able to consider travel in 2022 but see no likelyhood at all before that.
Where's the magic in the year 2022? I have to ask on just what basis can anyone believe there will be a vaccine that will be of practical benefit. If science can come up with that, it can cure the common cold. Never been done. Never will. But some placebos will probably be out there.

People are simply refusing to accept the "new normal" that C-19 will always be with us. So, for most, that means no international travel. But then, that's recent anyway. I don't think a whole lot of gallivanting around the planet was occurring 100 years ago. All we are doing is returning to the old normal in that regard.

We will be some changes in that I think there will never be such a thing as a return classroom instruction in schools, universities, or places like that again. Restaurants will largely cease to exist and same for hotels and just about anything associated with the "tourist industry". But again, that's all fairly new anyway and we'll just have to get used to a return to the good old days. Not all bad.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Where's the magic in the year 2022? I have to ask on just what basis can anyone believe there will be a vaccine that will be of practical benefit. If science can come up with that, it can cure the common cold. Never been done. Never will. But some placebos will probably be out there.

People are simply refusing to accept the "new normal" that C-19 will always be with us. So, for most, that means no international travel. But then, that's recent anyway. I don't think a whole lot of gallivanting around the planet was occurring 100 years ago. All we are doing is returning to the old normal in that regard.

We will be some changes in that I think there will never be such a thing as a return classroom instruction in schools, universities, or places like that again. Restaurants will largely cease to exist and same for hotels and just about anything associated with the "tourist industry". But again, that's all fairly new anyway and we'll just have to get used to a return to the good old days. Not all bad.
There's no magic to 2022, I just think we MIGHT be in a position where we consider the risk acceptable at that point in time. We could as easily be in the midst of an even bigger wave as well. But 'hope springs eternal'.

If we never get to travel again, at least we have all our memories to look back on. On another thread the topic of 'Bucket Lists' was raised. So much for those who have held back on doing things they wanted to do, expecting to do them later and have just put them on their Bucket List. They will have no memories to look back on.

I feel a bit sorry for people who have just retired or were just about to retire and had all these wonderful plans to travel the world after they retired. I guess they will just have to be content with travelling around a golf course or something.

Meanwhile in a cunning effort to encourage the return of tourism, a Swiss chocolate company has started snowing chocolate powder in their neighbourhood.

There are a lot of chocolate lovers out there who are probably trying to figure out how to get there, right now.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Maybe it's time to consider 'virtual travel' with the new Micorosoft Flight Simulator that just came out for XBox.

You can visit the whole world with you at the controls of your choice of planes to fly.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I feel a bit sorry for people who have just retired or were just about to retire and had all these wonderful plans to travel the world after they retired. I guess they will just have to be content with travelling around a golf course or something.
I am with you there. I have travelled a fair bit. I have never found it to be an imperative to get a stamp in my passport from every country in the world, which some seem to pursue for some kind of bragging rights. I have been to most (maybe not quite all) of the places I have been interested to visit, so if I can go abroad no more, I can take comfort in the fact that I got around quite a bit while the getting was good.

As long as some airlines remain in business, and fly to SE Asia, I will quite likely still fly to have some warm weather in winters. I'll probably take my chances on that score. I used to be able to enter the Philippines and, as the spouse of a Philippine citizen, get a 1-year "balikbayan" visa on entry. That was how I lived there for a few years awhile back. As long as I left the country once a year, I would get a new 1-year visa when I returned. Now, with C-19, that route has gone. It has become more formal and one must apply (as I have done) for what they call a non-quota immigrant visa under s. 13(a) of the Philippine Immigration Act.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

school is Returning here in Ontario and outside of the hot zones, it’s almost normal. Masks and quadmesters are the two big changes. I suppose a bad second wave will end all that.

and IF covid is here to stay and becomes the new normal, then travel will still return. People will just accept risk and seek out areas with low rates of covid That allow entry.

I think most people don’t know you can fly to the US. if they did, trust me, more people would be talking about travelling. Neighbours here are making Florida plans, and one leaves for Atlanta, via a connection through Detroit, out of Toronto tomorrow. i believe things will continue to ease as long as hospitals have capacity. I’m convinced a vaccine, or more likely better treatments, will continue to lower the risk over the next few years.

and if not, Canada is a great country with a LOT to see....hopefully they ease provincial borders out east soon. I’d love to go!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #255
school is Returning here in Ontario and outside of the hot zones, it’s almost normal. Masks and quadmesters are the two big changes. I suppose a bad second wave will end all that.

and IF covid is here to stay and becomes the new normal, then travel will still return. People will just accept risk and seek out areas with low rates of covid That allow entry.

I think most people don’t know you can fly to the US. if they did, trust me, more people would be talking about travelling. Neighbours here are making Florida plans, and one leaves for Atlanta, via a connection through Detroit, out of Toronto tomorrow. i believe things will continue to ease as long as hospitals have capacity. I’m convinced a vaccine, or more likely better treatments, will continue to lower the risk over the next few years.

and if not, Canada is a great country with a LOT to see....hopefully they ease provincial borders out east soon. I’d love to go!
Canada has a population of roughly 35 million. Florida has a population of around 21 million. All of Canada has had a total of 124k known cases. Florida currently has had 500k.

Now what idiot would want to go to Florida knowing they are about 5 times likelier to get the virus there at present?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
I am with you there. I have travelled a fair bit. I have never found it to be an imperative to get a stamp in my passport from every country in the world, which some seem to pursue for some kind of bragging rights. I have been to most (maybe not quite all) of the places I have been interested to visit, so if I can go abroad no more, I can take comfort in the fact that I got around quite a bit while the getting was good.
Yes, so much for people with 'Bucket Lists' and their plans. Man plans and the gods laugh.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
I am with you there. I have travelled a fair bit. I have never found it to be an imperative to get a stamp in my passport from every country in the world, which some seem to pursue for some kind of bragging rights.
You might get a kick out of this 'club' Mukhang pera, I do. To join you must state you have visited 100 countries. Most agree that there are 195 actual countries in the world, give or take on any given day. This club lists 329 they count as qualifying. Prince Edward Island qualifies as a country according to them for example. They also allow you to claim having 'visited' a country even if it was just a re-fueling stop in a plane and you never stepped foot off the plane.

Talk about wanting bragging rights and finding a way to do so by hook or by crook. LOL

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
You might get a kick out of this 'club' Mukhang pera, I do.
Talk about wanting bragging rights and finding a way to do so by hook or by crook. LOL
You are right. Funny stuff.

I have never really understood the point of bragging about # of countries visited. In fact, I think I'd keep quiet about it and not want to admit to such a superficial form of travel. I doubt many who have "visited" 100 countries or more have had much of a "visit" at all in any of them. I don't see the point of visiting a place unless allowed sufficient time to get some feel for it. For example, tours of Europe that promise so many countries in so many days, what's the point? Better to pick one and stay a few weeks. That's about the minimum. And if you land in a big city like Paris or Rome, you need that much time just to scratch the surface of that city, never mind the rest of the country.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Yes I have been in every part of Canada except The Yukon. On business, mostly. Never been to South America nor South Africa. LTA they are not on my bucket list!

241 - 260 of 278 Posts