Canadian Money Forum banner

221 - 240 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
A poll shows a majority of Canadians are not willing to fly yet.
Doing away with empty middle seats by Westjet and Air Canada has only increased our reluctance which is to be expected of course.

The airlines are hoping people will return to air travel but somehow I don't think as many will as the airlines hope will. Most people can see through the airlines attempts to say it is safe because they clean the planes and HEPA filter the air etc.

Travel will not be relatively safe again until we get an effective treatment or an effective vaccine.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #223

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Well looks like I can still fly to Hawaii...https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s-travel-restrictions-covid-19-land-border-fly-1.5607741
Leaving Oct 31 for the winter...yeehaw!

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Well looks like I can still fly to Hawaii...https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s-travel-restrictions-covid-19-land-border-fly-1.5607741
Leaving Oct 31 for the winter...yeehaw!
How is the covid-19 there now?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I'll probably head out to the Philippines by December and stay a few months or so. Came back from there Dec. 10 last year and immediately regretted it. Had to put up with 2 months of cold rain.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
How is the covid-19 there now?
They are experiencing 80-100 cases/day lately since opening up, like most places. Used to be 8-12 cases. Still not much of a threat and my wife & I agree it better than staying in frozen Canada.
If you are thinking about it currently there is a mandatory 14 day quarantine but there are talks of changing to a recent Covid test (within 72 hours) as an entry requirement. Either option is fine by me as I could isolate in my boat but may be hard for other tourists if they only intend to stay a short time.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
They are experiencing 80-100 cases/day lately since opening up, like most places. Used to be 8-12 cases. Still not much of a threat and my wife & I agree it better than staying in frozen Canada.
If you are thinking about it currently there is a mandatory 14 day quarantine but there are talks of changing to a recent Covid test (within 72 hours) as an entry requirement. Either option is fine by me as I could isolate in my boat but may be hard for other tourists if they only intend to stay a short time.
I take it that you are comfortable with having no insurance in the event you get the virus.

I can see the advantages to being on your boat in warmer weather and yet still able to self-isolate quite easily. I have a friend currently on Lake Ontario and going ashore only for supplies once a week or so. He's in the Thousand Islands area and is just enjoying cruising up and down the area and anchoring in small island bays.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I have several friends on boats avoiding hubris in Hawaii...seems a pretty popular way to wait out the hysteria. Can't wait to join them.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Saw an article online the other day that said sales of RVs - trailers and motor homes - are through the roof. It seems a lot of people are still traveling but only if they can take their accommodations with them and avoid stopping in hotels, motels, and restaurants.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #232

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
I COULD travel to Switzerland right now to do some hiking but I won't. I would still have to risk the airports, a passenger seated beside me, a train to my final destination, other diners wherever I go to eat while there etc. and all with no medical insurance covering the virus. I just can't see it as worth that risk.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Why do you continue to say no insurance? Almost all carriers will insure for Covid.

If I have coverage that is still in effect, such as an annual add-on, will it provide coverage for COVID-19?

The answer is yes. We will be extending our decision to provide coverage for COVID-19 to any policies that are still in effect, in addition to any policies purchased through our Early Bird. Therefore, if you purchased coverage during the 2019-20 travel season that has not yet expired your policy will provide coverage for COVID-19 subject to the policy terms and conditions.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Then I will stand somewhat corrected. I found this article.

Although if you scroll down to the part covering Canadian travellers, it does not sound that straightforward. None of the 'usual suspect' insurers are mentioned. The first, SafetyWing only seems to cover to age 64. World Nomads will cover only AFTER Canada lifts it's 'essential travel' advisory and the third HeyMondo covers everywhere except the USA.

Medicap mentioned above seems to be a fourth possibility but again with conditions. I didn't read in detail but right up front they explain while they will cover even if the travel advisory is 'essential only', they will not cover if the advisory is 'avoid all travel' which means they will not cover any cruise travel.

So it would appear fair to say that SOME people may be able to get coverage for travel of some type to some places but not all people for all kinds of travel or to everywhere.

So I will revise my comment from now on regarding insurance to, 'you MAY or may not be able to get Covid coverage on your travel medical insurance.'

I would not agree however that 'almost all carriers will insure for covid'. A quick check shows no indication that RBC or CAA, two of Canadian travellers most purchased travel insurance providers will cover it.

I think we should all get on the same page when anyone anyone is talking about travel, insurance may or may not be available and should be checked BEFORE booking any travel.

·
Registered
17,989 Posts
This article says that travel insurance coverage for C19 has been reinstated.
I'm curious, what does this mean? Wouldn't every travel insurance policy be different? I have read a few of these things and they are awfully inconsistent.

(To be clear though, I won't be flying anywhere -- even domestically -- until the middle seats empty up)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
One of my neighbours (83 years old, snowbird) was excited to tell me Today that he found Air Canada is flying to Orlando. Some people really hate the snow!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I'm curious, what does this mean? Wouldn't every travel insurance policy be different? I have read a few of these things and they are awfully inconsistent.

(To be clear though, I won't be flying anywhere -- even domestically -- until the middle seats empty up)
Sorry, to be clear.....one company mentioned in the article says it has starting offering policies that cover covid related illness......with the obligatory list of conditions attached.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
One of my neighbours (83 years old, snowbird) was excited to tell me Today that he found Air Canada is flying to Orlando. Some people really hate the snow!
You can find idiots anywhere Money172375, your neighbour simply happens to be one of them. Others are booking cruises which have already started and yup, already having covid outbreaks.

How an 83 year old can possibly be watching the news and think going to Florida would be a good idea just boggles the mind.

221 - 240 of 279 Posts