Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
People are complaining that they are not receiving refunds or even an offer to allow them to reschedule their bookings on sites like VRBO and AirBnB. Families struggle to get refunds for short-term rentals cancelled due to pandemic

I wish when they report on cases like this, they would at the same time report on what would have happened if they had booked with say Marriott or directly with an independent hotel. Answer, they would not have paid UP FRONT and they would be able to cancel without any penalty.

I feel sorry for people who lose money but I wonder how many of them will learn not to use third party booking sites and not to pay in advance.
... too bad. I guess there's no fine print to read and regulators to turn to with using such services. Cry them a river.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
If you fly return with Air Canada Covid insurance is included for a trip of a few weeks. Most of the usual suspects like Medipac include Covid insurance.
... getting the insurance (supposedly for free) isn't the problem. Getting the coverage paid / reimbursed is ... has anyone tested the fine print yet?

For one, I can't see a snowbird getting paid for a cent upon contracting Covid if he/she has a pre-condition. Ie. better be super-healthy.

And then there's the potential vaccination passport requirement upcoming for travellers.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I agree that the elected officials should not be leaving Canada and should be fired for showing poor judgement and leadership. I don't know if I agree that citizens/staff aka regular people that happen to work in the public sector should be held to the same standard as an elected official.
.. I think elected officials should definitely be FIRED for the lack of judgement or pretending to have a memory lapse - NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER because it reflects the incompetency and the dishonesty of the "elected" official.

As for the non-elected officials - start with a demotion.

Here's the latest example of a high ranking public figure flouting the rules:

Member of Ontario’s COVID-19 advisory table booted from role after vacationing in Dominican over holidays

And hospital CEO (in ON) and a member of the Covid19 advisory table ... @#!$ unbelieveable.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
.. I think elected officials should definitely be FIRED for the lack of judgement or pretending to have a memory lapse - NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER because it reflects the incompetency and the dishonesty of the "elected" official.

As for the non-elected officials - start with a demotion.

Here's the latest example of a high ranking public figure flouting the rules:

Member of Ontario’s COVID-19 advisory table booted from role after vacationing in Dominican over holidays

And hospital CEO (in ON) and a member of the Covid19 advisory table ... @#!$ unbelieveable.
... surprised? Nope.

Ontario doctor out as CEO of Niagara Health following Dominican Republic trip

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
^ A Wall of Shame from the "public" records or that from the news ... not asking for the task to go witchhunting / digging HR records for vacationing employees.

Since publication of such who-should-know-MUCH-better shamers aren't sufficient, then what do you suggest would work or would be an equitable solution other than a pretentious "Oh, I'm sorry. I should have known better. I had a memory lapse ..I regret it." Excuses, excuses, excuses. Are these officials / employees that uneducated?

Just imagine if you, yourself did this, what are the consequences for you ... a non-elected official? Or what "higher" standard(s) are they (officials) supposedly to be held? Or is it too much to ask that they be held at the "same" standards as everyone else? NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL during a "ongoing, gonna to get worst" pandemic FOR EVERYONE.

It's beginning to be unbelievably farcial with these bozos.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
^ You mean "affecting" us? You haven't seen nothing yet ... Quebec is imposing a "curfew" and to "8 pm" only which will affect everyone there. It'll just be a matter of time that this restriction goes across Canada and then watch the night animals go really deranged.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Doctors here on the news are against N95 use by the public. One even said he doesn’t wear one even when in contact with known Covid patients. He says N95 use is restricted to certain areas/procedures.
... basically your source of doctor(s) is discouraging the use of N95s because due to their scarcity as these masks are reserved primarily for inhospital uses - by surgeons and personnel in ICU units. Just like what Canada's chief health office Dr. T. Tam has and is still doing.

So not sure exactly what that "one doctor" to claim he "doesn't wear one even when in contact with known Covid patients" ... unintentional irresponsibility?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
^ Indeed the joke is on vacationing Canadians during a pandemic based on your narrative. But the excerpt (quoted below) within the link explains the exception.

Besides, are you expecting these travellers (or how about their employers) to pay for their quarantine in a hotel/motel while waiting to work? Makes alot of sense, not.

Now if you have a qualm about such "workers" taking Canadian jobs away, that's a different story to rant about.

... Workers are deemed “essential” by the federal government and won’t be required to quarantine at an approved hotel as they await test results. Instead, they’ll be able to wait out their 14-day quarantine on-farm.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
And those governments ate telling me about "travel advisories" ?! They can, but we cannot?!
Growing list of Canadian politicians caught travelling abroad despite pandemic

.. that list is kinda of outdated (January 1, 2021) ... the fallouts have grown abit. The first one was probably best with Ford's message to his finance minister "get your backside home immediately" ... too polite ... LMAO!

Now if you don't mind your employer telling you the same thing - 'resign or we'll resign you' ... take your vacations outside the country. Your choice ... your right still.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
^ Hey, politicians' expertise is lying ... and hoping not to get caught. So what's new? Do you want to be a politician?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I don't care to quarantine at home, but by no means in those "interim type quarantine hotels" ! Ghetto?! NEVER AGAIN!
... why are you screaming "NEVER AGAIN!" when you haven't even had to quarantine "at home", let alone a ghetto hotel? Talk about lies.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
^ Who is travelling with you on the sailboat? Any buffets there? I think your method of water-travelling is alot safer than the official "cruises" now running.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts