Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I have travelled a few times by air in the past 2 months and noticed the same thing along with fuller flights(good for the industry, and flight costs bad for social distancing). Hanging back and waiting is fine. In fact I am usually one of the last to board going back to prepandemic I was of the mindset why sit on the plane any longer than necessary. Deplaning is a bit different. If I am sitting near the front of the plane would I not be putting myself in greater proximity to more people? I rarely have checked luggage (short business stays) and have yet to travel out of country. Will be flying each of the next 3 weeks in Canada to different cities so will try and note the differences regionally.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I was supposed to head to Toronto on Monday but need to cancel my flight. I have been trying to do so for 3 days now. cancelling online is not an option available to me as I booked this flight with Westjet Dollars and have a companion voucher for the booking. I am platinum status and have been on hold for hours using the platinum service number. The request a callback is backlogged to November 12th. Sigh. I understand this is a first world problem but short of going to the airport I am running out of ideas and patience.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I appreciate Milhouse's suggestion but learned long ago that those that deal with customer service get treated very poorly at the best of times. I recall missing a connection one afternoon and having another traveler vent his frustration on the ticketing agent at the gate. The flight had already left so it's not like tehy were going to have it come back for us. The agent smiled and nodded while he expressed his frustration using every expletive imaginable. Having worked in construction I thought I knew all the words but that was not the case. Turns out the next flight out for him was the next day. When it was my turn I wandered up to the counter complimented her on her patience in dealing with such a horrible customer and low and behold I got a flight a couple hours later for the same route and destination. I was also provided a first class upgrade, reward miles and a meal voucher.

I was able to get through today after being on hold for an eternity. The service was excellent but hurried. I did get a chance to thank the agent for completing my request and show some empathy to the backlog they are experiencing. I can tell she took a moment to pause and briefly appreciate that sometimes people do acknowledge the efforts of those that work in thankless jobs. Unfortunately, I am 64 Dollars shy of hitting platinum status for next year and am not sure if I will be flying again in 2021. I do have a twitter account but rarely use it perhaps I will give this a try next time.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Still no plans to travel out of country for me. Did book a flight to Calgary before year end and headed to Banff for the holidays. Wanted to maintain platinum status with WestJet and was just shy of hitting the milestone. Able to book using WJ$. Have an overnight. will also be able to retain status with Marriott for next year as well as we have a hotel stay the night before we fly home. Perhaps an international flight in February or later in the spring.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
In the example above I would get the test later than 5 pm or even perhaps Monday morning. Depending on where you are going, access to testing and turnaround time you may be pushing it. I am not sure how stringent they are with the 3 day rule. Is it 72 hours? What happens if your flight is delayed a few hours between Sunday and Wednesday? But yes I agree as close to the 3 day limit the better if you are concerned about processing time.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Looking to spend a few weeks in Europe in August. Either Spain or Italy. Due to the duration I am considering renting as opposed to hotels. We have used Air Bnb, VRBO and expedia in the past for this type of travel. We are open to setting up in one location and then do 1-3 day excursions on our own. If anybody has done similar please feel free to share their experience and process either in this thread or by PM. I would also be interested in hearing about interesting or exciting cities or sites as well.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Although I travelled to the US quite frequently pre pandemic, I had never given consideration to what happens when every page has been stamped, I believe I have pages with more than one stamp but would have to check an older passport.

We are still debating heading out of country over the summer or delaying until fall/winter. I am not sure if prices will come down due to inflation and pent up demand. Each day the options for flights and accommodation are more pricey with less availability. This is good news for the economy but not good news for those looking to head out. Perhaps this will be summer staycation number three.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
We have decided to put any summer air travel plans on hold due to airport issues. It is not just YYZ that is experiencing problems. Since each airport relies on each other for air crew delays are being experienced everywhere. It does not matter if you are flying domestic or International there is a likelihood you will experience delays if you have a multi-leg flight. My SIL recently made a couple of trips within Canada that did not include YYZ in the last month and had issues (delays, missed connections, baggage) to and from for both trips. Increased travel costs plus the frustration of having your trip waylaid makes holding off the better option for us. We are monitoring weekly but if we do not book something by month end it will mean forfeiting a companion flight. We have accepted that we will likely pay higher fares the longer we wait if we fly before fall. I don't foresee things improving or getting cheaper anytime soon. After many have experienced limited travel during the pandemic it is unlikely we will see demand destruction for holidays any time soon. Already looking at options for winter and it doesn't look promising. These are all first world problems in comparison to what is going on elsewhere in the world.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
@milhouse Being newly retired you have the luxury of a flexible schedule. Hopefully, you are able to find something soon. We do have some leeway as well as our kid gets older we want to limit time away from school. In years past it was not an issue to miss a week here or there.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
We flew into Pearson on May 24. We flew out on May 25. Security lineup for both not an issue. 10 minutes max. Just dumb luck I guess. Bags no issue since we only go carry on.

Arrival in Lisbon……three hour wait to clear. Apparently lots of checked bag issues.
Pretty impressive that you are able to travel internationally for a month(or more) and only do carryon. I still need to check a bag (sometimes 2) for the family. It's a least two if I try to mix work/holiday into the same trip. If it's strictly work I can easily do a week with carry on. Thankfully due to status I have free checked bags. However, if I can remove one obstacle in getting delayed I will gladly do it. What's your secret? I can't remember if you have multiple stays in Portugal or just set up one home base for the duration.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I did a quick search in Lisbon for Deutsche Bank ATMs, since that's part of the Global ATM Alliance (no fees for Scotia bank cards).

And wow, there are very few ATM locations! That's pretty shocking. I guess that means I should just carry a few thousand euros cash with me on future trips to Europe.
If you choose to go that route please provide me with your picture, travel itinerary and the meeting location of a dark alley where I can relieve you of your cash burden :p

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Maybe you are on to something with time of day having a greater effect on delays. I am not aware of many having issues with early morning departures but that is just within my own circle. As the day goes on it gets progressively worse. Without an abundance of flights my guess is that any hiccups have a greater impact to when air travel was in full operation. Of course Covid-screening protocols have increased process time. If the majority of people are ignoring check-in guidelines which have been increased for us arrival well in advance that may be part of the delay.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts