Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
when do you think the mandatory quarantine will be over for travel? I don’t mean the hotel stays….I mean any sort of extended quarantine or self isolation. I want to travel this this year, but I don’t want to be locked at home for 1-2 weeks.

do You think this may come to pass by fall/winter?
I'm currently thinking late August/September to implement a similar plan as the UK. By then, I'm optimistic that we'll be slightly ahead of schedule with many people having their second shot with corresponding lower case numbers.

Expecting green, amber, and red country assignments like in the UK where you won't have to quarantine/self isolate when returning from green countries but have to take pre and post flight tests, while you will still have to quarantine/self isolate for varying days and test from amber and red countries.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I was supposed to head to Toronto on Monday but need to cancel my flight. I have been trying to do so for 3 days now. cancelling online is not an option available to me as I booked this flight with Westjet Dollars and have a companion voucher for the booking. I am platinum status and have been on hold for hours using the platinum service number. The request a callback is backlogged to November 12th. Sigh. I understand this is a first world problem but short of going to the airport I am running out of ideas and patience.
I had to call in last week to book a Westjet flight using my companion voucher because open jaw itineraries aren't bookable online using a companion voucher. The next available call back was literally a week out so I decided to put the call on speaker and just wait it out. Was on hold for about 3.5 hours before getting answered. 2 points of note: I suspect the reps are getting a lot of attitude from callers having to wait so long (even though it's not their fault their management isn't staffing up) but a simple "Thanks for waiting." can go a long way. Reps need to be getting the caller's call back number in the event the call is accidentally disconnected. If after waiting for 3.5 hours on hold and I was somehow disconnected halfway through my booking, I would have been pissed.

Agree, first world problems but this is kind of ridiculous.

·
Registered
922 Posts
esponse same day from Bosch (via Twitter) about a dishwasher after calling and emailing the last 5 weeks.
I initially DM'ed Westjet's social media team over Twitter to confirm I couldn't book open jaw with a companion voucher online and had to call in. They responded back in about an hour which I think is fine for my original question.

Not sure if they would be able to help me with my basic booking but it might be worth a shot for Londoncalling's issue particularly since they have status.

·
Registered
922 Posts
If this isn't a reason to go with the 10 year expiry passport option I don't know what is.
Generally agree and I have since renewed with a 10 year. But when I first renewed when the 10 year passports became available I got the 5 year because I had this (irrational?) fear that if I lost my passport, that I would be under extra scutiny when going/returning through immigration until my lost passport expired.
Plus I was reading on Flyertalk about people complaining about running out of pages and needing to get a new passport. I don't think you get extra pages on the 10 year vs the 5 and they stopped adding pages a while back IIRC. I was travelling a lot for work in addition to leisure at the time and I think I came within a page or 2 of filling up my passport before it expired.

·
Registered
922 Posts
what happens when every page has been stamped, I believe I have pages with more than one stamp but would have to check an older passport.
Stamps generally aren't the space suck though of course they can add up. Rather it's the visa stickers that monopolize a full page that burns through space quickly.

·
Registered
922 Posts
We are monitoring weekly but if we do not book something by month end it will mean forfeiting a companion flight. We have accepted that we will likely pay higher fares the longer we wait if we fly before fall. I don't foresee things improving or getting cheaper anytime soon. After many have experienced limited travel during the pandemic it is unlikely we will see demand destruction for holidays any time soon. Already looking at options for winter and it doesn't look promising. These are all first world problems in comparison to what is going on elsewhere in the world.
I can empathize.
We forfeited a companion fare early this year because we flew so little once the pandemic started until the end of last year. We want to travel but trying to find a good fare and are not seeing a lot of deals and don't expect to either. However, we'll probably bite the bullet and try to find something during shoulder season. And yup, definitely first world probs.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Stick to direct flights whenever possible as there are fewer things that can go wrong. Also, get a seat assignment at the time you purchase the ticket, because as I understand things, a seat assignment makes it far less likely you'll get bumped off a flight.
+1. We've also in recent years prepandemic started to not buy the cheapest fare in economy so that we can get a seat assignment. I understand it can be a few more dollars that many people don't want to pay but things just seem to have gone better for me/us be it random or intentional like not getting stuck in the middle seat, being able to swap into exit row during check-in, etc.
I'll add that we sometimes try to book an earlier flight because you're generally less likely to get hit by delays since later flights in the day get the domino effect from delays on earlier legs on that aircraft.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm retired but the missus isn't yet so unfortunately I need to plan according to her vacation schedule. She has a new manager that has made her team book vacation days at the start of the year with only a bit of flexibilty for adjustments whereas previously, she was able to take off whenever as long as her backup was able to take on her stuff. :(
I was also hoping to travel with buddies but everyone seems so busy this year.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Had some aeroplan points so going first class.
Always fun redeeming AP points for premium seats! :cool:
---
I keep reading about flights getting cancelled in the States. It sounds like it's a staffing issue and have read WS and AC are struggling to hire too. Anyone have a feel for or experience cancellations in Canada, the US, or internationally?

·
Registered
922 Posts
One thing we have noticed is the huge increase in those Euronet type third party ripoff ATMs. They have sprung up everywhere and are to be avoided. We count about six to ten for every bank ATM.

What else…a sharp decrease in the number of bank branches with their associated bank ATMs.
So sketchy!
One of the pre-trip planning activities that we've added to our list over the years is to identify major banks in the countries we're visiting and then mark a few of their branches/atm's on google maps near our hotel.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Deutsche Bank ATMs, since that's part of the Global ATM Alliance (no fees for Scotia bank cards).
+1
Tangerine's cards, as a subsidiary of Scotia, are also part of that ATM alliance but I've been too lazy to get a physical card. Might as well add that to the list of stuff to do. :D

Why not just carry credit card with low/no fx fees?
That's ideal but I find it's kind of situation dependent. We eat at a lot of hole in the walls and street vendors that don't take credit cards. Might be a sketchy place and I don't want my cc potentially compromised, more about the hassle versus getting charges reversed. Some times it might be better to tip in cash. I kind of feel awkward paying for a 2E souvenir with a cc. Pay toilets, when you got to go, you got to go. :D Etc. Stuff like that for me needing a bit of cash.

·
Registered
922 Posts
But,.,we cannot go online and do banking. CIBC does two step verification. It used to be via email with a code. Now they only do phone-the number they have on file. Problem is when we go overseas we buy a local SIM card.
This is a really good point. I'll need to think about this as well... many of the banks have started doing phone-based two step verification.

One solution to consider is buying a VoIP number.
+1 those are good points. I have to think about this for the future.
Before covid, I got tired of buying a local sim and was starting to bite the bullet and just paid the daily Easy Roam (aka Roam like Home, Roam Better) charge but they've jacked up the daily price.
I suppose one could turn off data on roam and just get a text message. I looked it up and it's 75cents per inbound text without Easy Roam so it could add up, particularly if you had a bunch of people text you. :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
You're probably not in the mood to switch banks for this, but TD has an authenticator app they use as an option for the 2-factor authentication. For that all you need is your smartphone and the internet.
Thanks for this info. I actually use TD but wasn't aware of their authenticator app (is it the same as their mobile banking app?). I always just get it to text me the code.
Speaking of which, I forgot about just using TD's mobile banking app direct.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts