Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
every year or so, I do a 'credit check' on myself. Always had used equifax.

Today, for some bizarre reason, I decided to try Transuion. BIG mistake.

inaccurate personal info, rude support people, crappy telephone reception....so, I ordered an equifax report (I was really spooked by the transunion report).

The equifax report was fine.

what is the deal with transunion? Why are they ever mentioned in the same breath as equifax????

RRRRRR.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I'm surprised that you had such an experience.
I've always requested my reports simultaneously from both (actually, all 3, since Experian was around up until a year ago).
I found their response times to be very similar.

Why do you have to call them?
Could you not simply send the form by mail?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You need both credit reports to be accurate.

Oh and it doesn't matter if it was scary you need to correct them. Anyone doing your credit check will be doing one or both and they are unlikely to tell you which.

So if Transunion has bad info you need to correct the bad info that is why you are doing them in the first place isn't it?

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts

Oh and it doesn't matter if it was scary you need to correct them. Anyone doing your credit check will be doing one or both and they are unlikely to tell you which.

So if Transunion has bad info you need to correct the bad info that is why you are doing them in the first place isn't it?
I agree. Even if your credit info with TransUnion is screwed up, you'll need to correct it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I apologize if this is slightly off topic, but a while ago I had signed up for a credit report from Equifax - if I remember correctly - and started receiving a quarterly report along with a quarterly fee charged to me credit card. I ended up cancelling such as to avoid these regular fees. Do any of you have suggestions as to how to get credit reports without incurring large fees?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
http://www.equifax.com/contact_us/en_ca

Order my free credit report by phone. Call 1-800-465-7166 (EQUIFAX)

http://www.transunion.ca/ca/personal/consumersupport/contactus_en.page

By phone (Transunion)

For residents outside Quebec, please contact us between the hours of 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. ET at 1-800-663-9980
For residents of Quebec, please contact us during the hours of 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m. ET (Monday to Thursday) and 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. ET (Friday) at the following phone numbers: 1-877-713-3393 or 514-335-0374
For US Citizens, please contact us between the hours of 08:00 - 4:30 p.m. Monday - Friday at 1-800-916-8800 (option 3 to speak to an agent).

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I apologize if this is slightly off topic, but a while ago I had signed up for a credit report from Equifax - if I remember correctly - and started receiving a quarterly report along with a quarterly fee charged to me credit card. I ended up cancelling such as to avoid these regular fees. Do any of you have suggestions as to how to get credit reports without incurring large fees?
To be fair, the paid reports probably included your FICO score, whereas the free report doesn't.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OMG... my favorite companies in the world.

TransUnion and Equifax are completely separate companies... they 've got different corporate cultures etc...

In doing credit repair for a few years, I was able to speak to the top levels at each company.

TransUnion's policy is to hold your information on your report, almost forever, unless you request to have it removed.

As for inaccuracies, they're about the same.

If information is being reported to equifax and transunion from the banks electronic feeds, the data is usually correct...

If information is entered manually from a credit, court house, etc, then there are usually alot of errors.

The credit bureaus usually get around 10,000 letters each week requesting changes... they simply do not have the staff to keep up with the work, nor would it be profitable for them to do so properly...

I've written an ebook on how to fix your credit.
DIY Credit Repair for Canadians

·
Registered
60 Posts

Best response.

It's simply true. While one may be more accurate than the other, they are BOTH used.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I made a simple credit report pdf awhile back to put the instructions, addresses, and forms in one place. While these companies do have to provide the reports for free, they tend to bury them in their site to try to get a purchase instead.

Not only can you get your credit reports for free, you can also calculate your credit score rather accurately for free as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the fix....

so, I submitted the formal "beef" form to Transunion. They responded very quickly with a "fiddle-dee-dee, you are right, this info is garbage", and have said they'll fix it.

Meanwhile, they included a form for me to complete, proving who I am and where I live so that I can request a new report.

so glad they mailed me, to my address, a form for me to complete so that I can, you know, prove my address.

on a positive note, when I went to do some banking the other day, I asked the dude "who do you use for credit checks", he said "both, but normally equifax". He did a quick report, and the info matched my equifax report.

In the end, it'll all be AOK.

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Transunion vs. Equifax

My experience was the exact opposite to that of Ashby Corner (posted June 2009) when dealing with both Transunion and Equifax. The Transunion customer service representative I dealt with was helpful and curtious. Most importantly, my info on record was accurate and up to date. My experience with Equifax, on the other hand, left me concerned that businesses conducting a background check would not be receiving accurate info - they didn't even have my name spealt correctly.

Another poster mentioned Experian, a firm I've never heard of. In checking their website, I see that as of April 17, 2009, they have discontinued their Canadian consumer credit bureau operations "as a result of the very difficult economic environment in Canada and around the world." Doesn't anyone use Dunn & Bradstreet anymore? When it comes to credit reports, I've always recognized them as the most reputable choice.

·
Banned
17 Posts
TransUnion

every year or so, I do a 'credit check' on myself. Always had used equifax.

Today, for some bizarre reason, I decided to try Transuion. BIG mistake.

inaccurate personal info, rude support people, crappy telephone reception....so, I ordered an equifax report (I was really spooked by the transunion report).

The equifax report was fine.

what is the deal with transunion? Why are they ever mentioned in the same breath as equifax????

RRRRRR.
I recently received a letter from Amex stating that my credit limit was decreased from $14000.00 down to $1600.00. Reason was " Recent Financial info received through the credit bureau. I checked out my credit report and found a lot of inaccurate personal information on my credit profile. It turned out that someone with the same first and last name as me had deliquent credit card accounts. Transunion mistake him for me and I now have to deal with straightening this mess out. I phoned Transunion and I too received poor customer service, and the reason is because there customer service is located in India of all places.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
[ ... ]

If information is being reported to equifax and transunion from the banks electronic feeds, the data is usually correct...

If information is entered manually from a credit, court house, etc, then there are usually alot of errors.

[ ... ]
Weird ... I guess I'm the exception. When I was looking for my first mortgage, of the five total institutions - four were within $5K of each other and one was $50K less. I mentioned this and asked why. I was told that it was my credit card which somehow was listed as having the same monthly limit as my car loan.

I'm not quite sure how car company financing and a bank credit card limit get mixed up.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I noticed that while equifax drops entries that are 7 years or older, transunion seems to keep them forever. Not that there's any derogratory info that I'm concerned about, but I thought credit cards that were closed 10 years ago would have dropped off by now.

·
Banned
184 Posts
I noticed that while equifax drops entries that are 7 years or older, transunion seems to keep them forever. Not that there's any derogratory info that I'm concerned about, but I thought credit cards that were closed 10 years ago would have dropped off by now.
By law, they only have to delete derogatory tradelines within the statute. Positive/closed they keep on unless you specifically ask to have them removed. But it's better for your score to not do so.

·
Registered
16,350 Posts
A reminder to order your free credit reports :) It's really easy. I just ordered one from Equifax via their automated phone system and it took me just 6 minutes. You can find some steps here.

Many people know about ordering the free reports by mail but few people are aware of the nifty phone system for ordering free reports. Dial their numbers and select option 1 for free credit report:

Equifax: 1-800-465-7166
TransUnion: 1-800-663-9980

I'm having trouble with TransUnion. They have my address wrong... it's stuck at an old address I've moved out of many years ago. This is surprising; you'd think the banks that report to the credit agencies (several credit cards) would reset the address to the correct one.

·
Registered
12,380 Posts
OMG... my favorite companies in the world.

TransUnion and Equifax are completely separate companies... they 've got different corporate cultures etc...

In doing credit repair for a few years, I was able to speak to the top levels at each company.

TransUnion's policy is to hold your information on your report, almost forever, unless you request to have it removed.

As for inaccuracies, they're about the same.

The credit bureaus usually get around 10,000 letters each week requesting changes... they simply do not have the staff to keep up with the work, nor would it be profitable for them to do so properly...

I've written an ebook on how to fix your credit.
DIY Credit Repair for Canadians
I have read some of Montyloree's work and he provides a lot of great advice on his website.

Edit.............Whoops, I didn't realize the post was from 2010 and the link doesn't work anymore.

Where did you go Monty..............?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts