Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a full-time employee (not on a contract). My wife and I are both electrical engineers. My wife has been on maternity leave in 2012. Sometimes I bring some of my work to do at home over the weekends and my wife sometimes helps me doing that.
My question is now this: can I transfer some of my income (let’s say the bonus that I received in 2012 for my extra work) to her in order to maximize our overall tax refund?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
In all likelihood no. If you were self-employed you might be able to get away with paying her as a part-time employee for the time she "helps" you. But not in the circumstances you describe.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hi,

I'm a full-time employee (not on a contract). My wife and I are both electrical engineers. My wife has been on maternity leave in 2012. Sometimes I bring some of my work to do at home over the weekends and my wife sometimes helps me doing that.
My question is now this: can I transfer some of my income (let’s say the bonus that I received in 2012 for my extra work) to her in order to maximize our overall tax refund?

Thanks.
http://www.engineerscanada.ca/e/en_can_corp_reg.cfm

You need to set up a "professional corporation"... but you cannot be an employee. You have to be hired as a contractor, you then write dividend to yourself and your wife.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts