Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gents!

I'm a common stalker on these forums since September last year and have learnt a remarkable amount about Canadian lifestyle and financial strucutres since then, thank you for this information!

I will be moving to Toronto (From the UK) sometime in 2010 when immigration finally decides to accept my application and I will need some help!

I am looking to get into the Financial Services industry, namely accounting, financial management or asset management. I do have a slight (fixable) problem which from my research, paradoxically might just help me out.

I do not have a university education. However, being 22 years of age I do have 6 years of working experience and a basic college education. 3 years of this expeirence is in Sales, one of these being in Home/Car/Commercial Vehicle/Bike Insurance and 2 being in Telecommunications. My last two companies have been respected multinational companies.

I do want to go back to education to obtain a finance related degree (probably accounting) and I would love to then chase a CA and a CFA, and in the future obtain an MBA, all of this would be done part time whilst working.

(Off topic information: Our finances are quite stable for people of our age, we are both 22 with no debt and around $20,000 in savings which is growing daily.)

Now, in this climate it isn't what you know it's who you know, and I am going to be starting in a foreign land! I need to be able to network in order to improve my chances of offering myself and my wife a fighting chance at a financially stable life.

Is there any recommodations (or indeed people in the industry) that you guys could point me towards? I am not asking for a free meal here but what I am doing is trying to use the resources I have available to me to maximise my chances of success, and unfortunately due to me being in the UK this is the best resources I have.

Again, thank you everyone for any help you can provide and also for the great advise and reading that you guys have supplied over the past 9 months.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Good luck with your plans.

Doing an accounting degree part-time will take you between 6 and 8 years, and that is with a heavy part-time schedule. The CFA takes another four years of part-time study. You should also count on up two years for the MBA.

It would probably make more sense to do the program full-time for 4 years. In addition, you will find that many of the core courses are not offered in evening sessions.

You might want to consider a co-operative education. I am most familiar with Waterloo - you could look at the co-op accounting degree there, which allows you to attend school full-time and then work full-time in alternating four-month semesters.

As for working in financial services, if you look at the "Finance jobs" section of the Toronto Craigslist, you will find hundreds of postings for "opportunities" in the financial services sector. Few of these are actual jobs, though - they are mostly commissioned sales positions with no base salary. The largest financial advisory company in Canada is Investor's Group. You should also look at Edward Jones (just to see how these companies operate and what they offer for people trying to get into the business). You might also look at some of the large life insurance companies as well.

Your biggest obstacle, from the POV of a potential employer or office looking to add to their sales force will not be your lack of university education (not required for financial services sales positions) but your utter lack of network in Canada. Who will you sell to, and how will you find those people?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey!

I am under no illusion as to the time frame the educaiton will require, but I do enjoy continual learning! Thanks for the information about the 4 months working 4 months studying, that sounds fantastic and not something I knew anything about.

Being honest with you whilst I am quite good at sales (Top 20% within a team of 40 or so) I don't really enjoy selling products on behalf of a company as a soul earner. The only reason I do sales at the moment is it pays quite well for my education so it's not something I would want to do for a long life career, my ideal situation would be to get into accounting at some point* however I realise this is unrealistic without proper education and designations so I may need to just continue on with sales untill then.

But yes, networking is my ultimate goal as this is the key to success these days I believe.

Thanks for your input so far.

* Actually, this is a little bit of a lie but my ideal job doesn't exist. I'd like to be a pay per service financial advisor who actually offers people help with there finances not just sell them structurered products on a commission basis, however most people who want a service like this won't pay enough to sustain such an industry model plus those who can have teams of accountants, hence my logic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
why toronto?

I'd be curious as to why you're moving?

You seem to be doing SO well where you are...not that we don't want to have more smart people in Canada, just curious.

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Hey!

I am under no illusion as to the time frame the educaiton will require, but I do enjoy continual learning! Thanks for the information about the 4 months working 4 months studying, that sounds fantastic and not something I knew anything about.

Being honest with you whilst I am quite good at sales (Top 20% within a team of 40 or so) I don't really enjoy selling products on behalf of a company as a soul earner. The only reason I do sales at the moment is it pays quite well for my education so it's not something I would want to do for a long life career, my ideal situation would be to get into accounting at some point* however I realise this is unrealistic without proper education and designations so I may need to just continue on with sales untill then.

But yes, networking is my ultimate goal as this is the key to success these days I believe.

Thanks for your input so far.

* Actually, this is a little bit of a lie but my ideal job doesn't exist. I'd like to be a pay per service financial advisor who actually offers people help with there finances not just sell them structurered products on a commission basis, however most people who want a service like this won't pay enough to sustain such an industry model plus those who can have teams of accountants, hence my logic.
Waterloo also has a 1 yr Masters of Accounting program. I'd agree that it probably makes more sense just to go to school full-time. You should be able to supplement your income decently with the co-op terms, which are also great for getting your foot in the door at several firms. Also, going to school full-time makes it easier to get a visa and a path to permanent residency.

·
Registered
169 Posts
"3 years of this expeirence is in Sales, one of these being in Home/Car/Commercial Vehicle/Bike Insurance and 2 being in Telecommunications."

If you can do sale you can start your own business. Sounds like that would be a good idea. A lot of business are really about sales. For example take distribution companies. What are the just some people with computers and warehouses around the country that put labels on the package and ship them out, make $4 per package. So it adds up to millions. How do you get this business? Sales you need a good sales person. They make deals with walmart or any company.
So if you can find a business that you can sell something and then get repeat orders you make tons of cash. Besides when your older you want to do sales anymore. If you can find something that sells and is easy run with it across the whole country.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Because of the tight job situation, you might want to contact a headhunter and get as assessment of your situation. Will your employers give you a letter of commendation? If not, you could be in a tough situation. Holding a sales job for one or two years often indicates that you were making the guarantee and not making quota.

A glowing letter of recommendation, along with a willingness for them to talk to your prospective employer would make a big difference. Also the telcos here will demand a degree. Not sure about insurance agents.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
i for one doubt that citizenship & immigration will be able to accept this candidate.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Firstly - good on you. For being 22 - You seem to be ahead of the curve with regards to thinking ahead, ambition and having something to aim for.

I'm 28, English and came to Canada 3 years ago - and it is definitely worth the move. Our quality of life has jumped a lot - at the expense of missing family :(

I'm sorry I don't have any recommendations as I don't work in the field of finance - just am interested in it at a personal level.

Stick with what you want and you will get it. I do.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Not to hijack the thread - but:

+ She earns way more over here
+ We have a large, lovely house compared to what we could buy in the UK
+ I live 30 mins from the Rockies and can snowboard/bike/hike
+ Pace of life is slower - work seems more relaxed
+ I can fly fish one of the best spots in the world, just over a hill form my house
+ We pay 5% GST as opposed to 20%
+ The weather from what i have experienced is nicer
+ My commute is smaller compared to England

There are a lot of points to why I think it is better, but it ultimately boils down to a gut/emotional feel of it being better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts