Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
How are the tenant's at all the store fronts able to pay the rent with so few people entering the downtown core?

I agree that tenants in towers may generate corporate income while employees work from home.

I would need to be pretty hungry and desperate to place my child in a school during the winter months because it is claimed that the virus is more virulent during low humidity wintertime.

Maybe that is Ford's plan ..... force parents to place kids in school or receive no access to government assistance. Force parents to drop the fear and paranoia and return to work.

Sure sounds like this is Trump's plan too.

Most stores that have a store front are most definitely hurting, and I would guess even more so downtown. I would imagine that those living in the cores are what is keeping some of the stores alive.

I will be sending my children to school while it is open, and that includes the winter months. It was a tough decision. We had the choice of an online learning hub, but it is across the city and generic learning. My kids are in a specialized education program for reason, and putting them with a regular program would frustrate them and be a waste of time. Parents are going to have tough decisions to make. In our case, my kids are in a specialize program with complex learning needs, I have seen the impact of mental health and social challenges on them. We debated moving them to a smaller private school, but their social needs are currently very strong. So in their best interests I need to send them back. The best I can do is rally to ensure they are doing it the safest way possible. We have informed the grandparents that for their safety, they will not be able to see the kids. They agree this is the best for the kids.

I am frustrated with our back to school plans as there are fewer precautions in my province than what I have read in Ontario.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Missed this earlier ...

I think the virus is going to become more virulent in the fall ...
Not sure why it would be ... there's lots of opportunity for it to be more of a problem for things like less people going outside when it's forty below, hospitals having to deal with flu as well as the virus but I don't think it will be more harmful.

It is hard or confusing to shop when your eyes are darting around looking for "Distance" and People and not what is on the store shelves ...
Can't say I've noticed much of a problem with this.

There's interruptions but nothing like when the store was wall to wall customers with no limit on the number entering.

... In Hamilton, in a shopping mall, a salesperson told friends that she had only one person in the store between 10am and 3pm. People are not window shopping. Shopping is kind of a deliberate task now. In and out ...
Maybe there's something specific to that store or location?

I've noticed people browsing so in my area, it's not all "in to get X then out".

Cheers

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Perhaps my choice of the word "virulent" was improper.
The virus is more contagious during winter months.
I agree that my mentioned experience may not be representative of most shoppers.
This was Hamilton.
A friend of mine traveled to her shop on Danforth/Main via TTC last week and it is operating at no more than 30% capacity.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
People Fleeing Cities?

The 2020 San Francisco exodus is real, and historic, report shows
Online real estate company Zillow released new statistics shining a stark light on the issue this week. Their "2020 Urban-Suburban Market Report" reveals that inventory has risen a whopping 96% year-on-year, as empty homes in the city flood the market like nowhere else in America.
By Andrew Chamings
August 15, 2020

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Sure ... but a question I have is how many don't have remote work as an option and aren't using cars/bikes/sharing services.
... missed this earlier.

As per my post (#4) to calm, the TTC is not the only economic thermometer. There're small businesses, property owners who support a BIG portion of the finances of the city.

My co-worker no longer making the daily transit ride to work is bad for the transit profits but really tells us nothing about the economy as he hasn't missed a pay cheque.

Cheers
... so to your point, neither would the "missing (aka WAH)" office workers tell us about the economy of the city. Because small businesses and property owners are the major forces to the finances of the city, not the theorists and beancounters over at the Ivory towers in downtown.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If pedestrian traffic throughout the downtown core of Toronto is down by 50 percent or more then the city is bankrupt.
And this would be true for every single city in North America which relies on subway transit.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Perhaps my choice of the word "virulent" was improper.
The virus is more contagious during winter months ...
Unless it has mutated, I'd expect it would pretty much the same. What changes is winter is stress on the body and possibly more people exposing themselves to each other as they are going outside less.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
My understanding is that virus is more contagious because of less humidity during winter.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My understanding is that virus is more contagious because of less humidity during winter.
This was a possibility early on but I think it has been shown to not be case, or at least not significantly so. Just look at how fast it is spreading in the US this summer. Warm weather did not magically make it go away so the return of winter should not make it much worse either, except for our behavioral changes.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
If pedestrian traffic throughout the downtown core of Toronto is down by 50 percent or more then the city is bankrupt.
And this would be true for every single city in North America which relies on subway transit.
... the pedestrian traffic in downtown Toronto is way more than 50% now, unavoidable too given the warm weather. But this doesn't really tell of the economic health of the city.

Your earlier example(s) of stores/eateries traffic does (but not entirely either as there's the online shopping craze going on now). These are the places where people spend their money (aka pay taxes) and help grease part the economic engine of the city.

The other parts are entertainment, tourism and the (un)employment rate of the private sector.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
... the pedestrian traffic in downtown Toronto is way more than 50% now, unavoidable too given the warm weather. But this doesn't really tell of the economic health of the city.
Are you telling me that at noon time (lunch time) in downtown Toronto that the streets are just streaming with people?

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Are you telling me that at noon time (lunch time) in downtown Toronto that the streets are just streaming with people?
... yes if you're at Bloor/Yonge downtown. No if you're at Union Station downtown. Today August 19, 2020.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
^ Bloor & Yonge = because of the shops (strolling/window shopping?). Union Station = because most of the "office" workers are working remotely still.

For non-economical reason, look at Queen's Park (University Ave/below Bloor). Now and then it's full of people there - not to shop, not to work but to protest "something".

How about a couple of months ago when we barely moved to Stage 2 and yet the sun was out, there's the Trinity Bellwoods (Queen St. West) Park the covidiots gathering ... like a Woodstock event.

Reactions: calm

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
... I agree that my mentioned experience may not be representative of most shoppers.
This was Hamilton ...
Mine isn't necessarily either. Lots I talk to are in/out where they used to browse while others like me, never spent tons of time but have no problem wandering around to see what's new or are hoping that seeing something will remind them of what they have remember they needed!!

Where in Hamilton may matter as well. I can remember wandering around at lunch time in the downtown mall that was all but deserted.

... A friend of mine traveled to her shop on Danforth/Main via TTC last week and it is operating at no more than 30% capacity.
Question is whether 30% is what's mandated or whether more are allowed. If it's a 30% capacity limit with 30% most of the day plus whatever online buying, it may not be as bad as it seems.

Cheers

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
For some types of virus, sure. More contagious does not mean more virulent or stronger.

From what little reading I have done about the virii that are more contagious in less humidity, it's because the droplets can spread further and hang in the air longer. It's more about the change in the surroundings just like my dad putting a canoe on top of the truck pulling our travel trailer didn't change how powerful or efficient the truck was - the drop in wind resistance reduced what was needed, increasing the gas mileage.

As off.by.10 says, the feedback seems to be that this isn't as much as originally hypothesized.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I recently read some statistics about New York City.
This is the largest city in North America.

On Madison Avenue in the ultra-rich 60s and 70s blocks most lux stores are closed. Retail foot traffic is down 85 percent from a year ago.

This kind of stuff is happening in every city with a "High Density" population of a million or more.
----
Economic Disparity and COVID in New York City

Fewer than one-tenth of Manhattan office workers have returned to the workplace a month after New York gave businesses the green light to return to the buildings they ran from in March.
----
They are keeping their employees working from home. Conde Nast, the publishing company and majority client in the signature new World Trade Center, is moving out. Since the coronavirus hit the office has largely been vacant anyway and the publisher has given no indication when workers will return.
----
The number of New Yorkers living below the poverty line is larger than the population of Philadelphia, and would be the country’s 7th largest city.
Another 235,000 receive rent assistance. The Queensbridge Houses in Long Island City is North America’s largest housing project with 3,142 apartments.
----
The money is there; New York’s wealthiest individuals have increased their net worth by $44.9 billion during the pandemic.
By Peter Van Buren
August 23, 2020

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Only 2-10 percent of office workers have returned to Toronto office towers.

PATH – Toronto’s Downtown Pedestrian Walkway
45 Hundred people were employed in this area of downtown Toronto.
One business owner says that 90 percent of customers disappeared.

The Ripple Effects of Closed Office Buildings
COVID-19 and the Hidden Office Economy
Office towers have been hollowed out as many who work in these buildings have been at home since March. From mom-and-pop coffee shops to all the services which support office workers, we wondered about the fate of these independent companies and their employees. And what does the future hold if many office-based workplaces transition to working from home?
TVO - The Agenda
Host Steve Paikin
October 08, 2020
(Flash Video)

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Update on TTC's ridership level ... right from the mayor's mouth plus a (new?) problem with increase in ridership:

Tory says TTC can improve its messaging about lack of distancing aboard buses

... He (TO's mayor) said that ridership on the TTC system-wide has only returned to 37 per cent of what it was before the pandemic began. The TTC has added 100 buses to its busiest bus routes and is now operating at 95 per cent of its pre-pandemic capacity, and up to 92 per cent of all buses are running half-full or less. ...

Reactions: calm
21 - 39 of 39 Posts