Canadian Money Forum banner
181 - 185 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
I see you don't have any TFSA account. Why do want to invest $40k in non-registered account and pay taxes on your gain?
Because I have pretty much all of the money in my employer's savings plan going into a TFSA, which is about $25k/year, and that will have my TFSA room maxed out pretty quickly. Also, we might use this money for a downpayment on a house if the housing market experiences a correction, so I don't want to occupy all of that TFSA room, just to potentially use the money within the next year or 2 for a downpayment on a house.

·
Registered
405 Posts
You should consider putting your surplus funds towards your mortgage. Speaking from experience, having no mortgage early in life does amazing things for your cashflow and ability to invest. Keep in mind that you have to service your mortgage with after tax funds. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I would say yes depending on what you intend to buy with the proceeds. I wouldn't want to put risky investments in my TFSA that I am anticipating needing in 2 years for fear of having to cash out at a substantial loss and losing the room. I am not saying you need to buy a GIC but the yield on a 2 yr GIC is better untaxed than taxed.

181 - 185 of 185 Posts