Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
It's such a balancing act. Money should be enjoyed but preferably not at the expense of putting your financial security/goals at risk. However, even if it's not essential, I think there's an argument to be made for a purchase if it's going to be used/enjoyed regularly. But if there's a chance the gadget ends up sitting there gathering dust, you might want to reconsider (at the risk of being on the receiving end of repetive spousal torment any time that gadget is seen and reminded about making a wasteful purchase... personal experience! :D )

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have a few things gathering dust at the house right now, which I think I will try to sell.
When my inlaws downsized from a house to a condo, my SIL was in charge of selling all the stuff that they wouldn't need at the condo. And I can't believe she was able to sell almost everything and what people were willing to pay for stuff. I'm so out of the loop as I thought Craigslist was still THE place to sell stuff but apparently Facebook Marketplace is the new IT tool to sell stuff.

·
Registered
936 Posts
So instead of spending a whole bunch of money buying a bigger house, we're considering finishing our basement really nice for $40k or so, using a HELOC. Thoughts?
Are you just going to accept the location concerns or do you have a plan to address them? It seemed like that was one of your key motivations for considering a move.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well, unfortunately, the person who told me they were going to buy my condo (agreed on a price and everything) changed her mind and backed out. So, I am listing it with a realtor. The realtor wants me to paint the whole place top to bottom, fix up some flooring and trim etc. Seems like it will require about $5k worth of work. Additionally, in the time between when this person offered to buy my condo and now, the market has started to drop.
That sucks. Did she back out because she saw the changing interest rate/housing market conditions or no reason given?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have 1.75% locked in for almost 2 more years, so if I can pay off as much as possible on the house before renewal time, that should help with the sting of the interest rate hike I will experience when I go to renew. I have also continued to do quite a bit of overtime.
+1 Hopefully you can burn a lot of principal off before you renew. Gives you more flexibility in some ways.
That said, I think I was paying something like 3.x% back in the day and I thought that was cheap. :D

Watching some of my friends buy new vehicles made me want to get a truck, but coming back to this money diary brings me back down to Earth, which is the whole purpose of this exercise. By focusing my energy on saving and investing, especially during this lull in the market, I should come out nicely ahead. Instead of putting that money into a cash burning toy.
I feel ya. The missus and I share a car and it works for us 95% of the time. Seeing some friends with new cars and just nice cars around town makes me think about splurging on a new car. But it comes down to goals and priorities.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts