Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an e-bike ... what type and your thoughts on how it is?

I've been riding a rigid mtn bike for over 20 years now (same one btw) and thinking of upgrading. Mainly do pavement, gravel and light trails and was thinking of upgrading to a hardtail and to a lesser degree, a full suspension bike/e-bike.

Thinking ahead, investment wise, hardtail prices aren't too bad but full suspension & mtn e-bikes still seem rather expensive. I know some of the expense is pandemic related (shortages,etc) so I think the overall market prices will come down in the next year or so ... might be good to wait for that.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Anyone have an e-bike ... what type and your thoughts on how it is?

I've been riding a rigid mtn bike for over 20 years now (same one btw) and thinking of upgrading. Mainly do pavement, gravel and light trails and was thinking of upgrading to a hardtail and to a lesser degree, a full suspension bike/e-bike.

Thinking ahead, investment wise, hardtail prices aren't too bad but full suspension & mtn e-bikes still seem rather expensive. I know some of the expense is pandemic related (shortages,etc) so I think the overall market prices will come down in the next year or so ... might be good to wait for that.
Are they even available? I though supply for bikes have been fairly limited due to logistics and high demand.

I know a colleague. who has one and uses it on a daily commute of around an hour or so. If you are just keeping to street-type surfaces, I don't imagine it would be an issue. Winter and snow may factor in, but that depends on your weather.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My friend recently bought his daughter (~ 40) a Gazelle. Out the door it was 4000 +. She did meal deliveries on her peddle bike in Vancouver and is very happy with the new Gazalle.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A guy I know who is carrying some extra weight in the mid section was riding his eBike uphill and he heard some people say - “holy look, that fat guy is in really good shape”.

They seem like a nice ride, I’ve never used one myself though.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
The problem with ebikes are they are really heavy with poor quality parts compared to actual bikes. They are not something that makes sense to ever pedal without battery power.
My Santa Cruz cross country ride weighs 23 lbs....off road ebikes most likely starting at 60 lbs.
I'd just buy a old Honda Trail 90 instead.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I don't get e-bikes, and they're especially annoying as they allow them on all the city paths. They travel at outrageous speeds on the city paths and put people who walk, along with regular bicyclists at great risk.

If you want exercise, get a bicycle.

If you want to get to work year round and do it inexpensively while saving the planet, take the bus.

E-bikes - WTF?

ltr

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
There are quite a few e-bikes in the Okanagan and part of that may be a function of topography. E-bikes permit more people to enjoy bikes in their neighbourhoods and bike paths than would do otherwise. I have rented one and enjoyed it for longer distances, using the different power assist settings depending on topography. They are indeed heavy bikes and one is not likely to use zero power assist on anything but flat ground. I think they have a niche place in the market with the major downside being as LTR mentioned. Many folk travel too fast on them, lose control and end up in ER.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Many folk travel too fast on them, lose control and end up in ER.
From my extensive observation over the years while riding my bicycle (about 3500km/yr) I would say that they shouldn't be allowed on city paths because they're far too fast, and they shouldn't be allowed on city streets because they're far too slow, so there's simply no situation where they can comfortably exist and not be dangerous.

ltr

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Don't know what the accidental or death rates are involving e-bikes. But ownership/ridership can be reduced by simplying introducing requirements for licensing and insurance on e-bikes.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Matters on your use, I've heard some people like the extra range/power from an ebike/mountain bike type cross.

The ebikes that are really scooters for those who shouldn't be operating a car are a different problem.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
From my extensive observation over the years while riding my bicycle (about 3500km/yr) I would say that they shouldn't be allowed on city paths because they're far too fast, and they shouldn't be allowed on city streets because they're far too slow, so there's simply no situation where they can comfortably exist and not be dangerous.

ltr
Don't bike paths have speed limits? I'm not kidding, maybe about 20 km/hr or so? I recall bylaw officers were actually ticketing bikers in certain cities.

As for city streets, I've biked on those in downtown and as long as you pay attention it's not an issue.

Edit: As for e-bikes themselves, I think most may just use them for the extra boost to go up hills. I know I could use that at times.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I borrowed one from a friend who didn't need it for the summer. It is great fun because suddenly going uphill doesn't suck anymore and you can go much farther without being daunted by the ride back.
E-bikes have adjustable amount of "assist". At low levels, it just makes hills easy to climb, and you go a tad faster on flat surface. If you crank up the juice, yes it can go too fast for comfort. Like anything else, use your good judgement.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
We ride our bikes for exercise, so ebikes have no appeal. Some friends have them - mainly so they can keep up with the rest of their biking group. If we want to go further afield, we put our bikes on the car rack and drive to new locations.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
A friend has a Surly Big Easy. It's a longtail electric cargo bike. She sold her car and uses it everywhere around the city for work and personal use. Sometimes it is referred to as the 18-wheeler of bikes. It is an e-assist or pedal assist bike so it does not provide any assist unless the rider is pedaling. No throttle, just 4 levels of assist. She loves it and says there are no headwinds on e-bikes.

E-bikes have their uses. People with long commutes especially in hilly areas. Seniors or infirm people that otherwise would not be able to ride or keep up with their friends. They are heavy and expensive. Even a high-end Trek Domane weighs almost 40 lb. about twice what a comparable regular road bike weighs.

Canadian cyclist, ex-racer and bicycle frame builder Giuseppe Marinoni recently set a new world hour record of 39 km/h at age 80. I have a ways to go to even get close to that!

For me at age 63 I would still rather ride a regular bike, cursing the hills and headwinds and gasping for breath, for the fun of it. Maybe in a decade I will feel differently.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I don't get e-bikes, and they're especially annoying as they allow them on all the city paths. They travel at outrageous speeds on the city paths and put people who walk, along with regular bicyclists at great risk.

If you want exercise, get a bicycle.

If you want to get to work year round and do it inexpensively while saving the planet, take the bus.

E-bikes - WTF?

ltr
Maybe not in Canada, due to nature of the path, but when I hiked in mountains in Europe last summer, e-bikes were very popular.
Basically they allowed 45+ not in shape people to ride mountain trails. They can get some exercise, but also due to lack of physical shape they aren't stopped from exploring the area.
Personally I think it is brilliant, although due to weight, price, and good physical shape I am not considering getting one

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
At 72 with a health condition, an e-bike is clearly my best opportunity to ride on anything beyond a flat surface. It is a bit condescending in some of the posts above denigrating the value of e-bikes. Certainly some folk are not using them with enough consideration for others, but for most users, they provide enjoyment that they could no longer get otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
At 72 with a health condition, an e-bike is clearly my best opportunity to ride on anything beyond a flat surface. It is a bit condescending in some of the posts above denigrating the value of e-bikes. Certainly some folk are not using them with enough consideration for others, but for most users, they provide enjoyment that they could no longer get otherwise.
I wouldn't read to much into it AR, many don't have any idea yet of the varied uses of e-bikes. Whether it's used to increase time spent enjoying the outdoors or used for a major workout, any reason is a good one if you like it. My enduro rides (motorized) give me a far better workout then my pedal bike does, some never believe it until they try and drop 30 mins into the ride. :)

In any case, I think I'll hold off until the e-bikes mature a bit (and costs come down) because there is too much crossover with my enduro riding. I'll still be looking for a deal on a hardtail or full suspension upgrade somewhat soon.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts